MembersZone Subscriber

Default Structure or Wildland???

I am doing a project for my college writting class on the differences between structure firefighting and wildland firefighting. I figured that in this presentation i should show a graph on the two. I was wondering for a poll, of which u would rather do or you already do. Would it be structure firefighting or wildland firefighting. And if you could give a reason why you made you decision that would help. Thanks, James

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JamesPeters21 View Post
    I am doing a project for my college writting class on the differences between structure firefighting and wildland firefighting. I figured that in this presentation i should show a graph on the two. I was wondering for a poll, of which u would rather do or you already do. Would it be structure firefighting or wildland firefighting. And if you could give a reason why you made you decision that would help. Thanks, James
    We do both. I suppose I'd rather go on a structure fire than a wildland given the choice... a few hours vs a few days (potentially). The adrenaline only lasts so long.

Forum Member

We also do both. Wildland around here is mostly little brush fires, which are a lot of work but no fun.

I have gone west on my state's wildland crew a couple of times, which was a great experience. The atmosphere on a large wildland incident is pretty cool. Lots and lots of people working to a common purpose. I personally would still rather hit a two-three hour structure fire than a two-three day wildland fire.

There are others who feel differently. Part of that is the fact that we get paid for wildland, whether in our state or out west.

MembersZone Subscriber

both here also, I enjoy both around here b/c they can be both challenging at times, which makes them both interesting.

Forum Member

Our department is a small volunteer department in Idaho.

We do both wildland and structure fires. We get a lot more wildland than we do structure in fact.

Some of my hairiest moments on a fireground have come on wildland scenes.

On a structure fire, people always are grateful. They may be sad about their loss, but I have never been accused of not trying or not saving enough. Wildland is a different story. There are people who are grateful. Then there are the people who are angry. We didn't put the line in the right spot. We didn't need to do a burnout. We weren't fast enough. We don't use dozers enough anymore, we used too much dozer line. On and on and on.

The politics and public perception about wildland fires is very strange and the most annoying thing about it.

Another thing that others have alluded too, Structure fires tend to be fast, quick attacks. Compare them to a sprint in track and field. Wildland fires are more like middle distance to marathons. Completely different feel for the most part.

Overall, I like both. But would rather work a quick structure fire than a 14 day shift on a 100,000 acre fire.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I'm in agreement with the folks here. Wildland firefighting is fun for about the first hour. After that it becomes backbreaking labour that can and often does go for days. Unless you get a rekindle in a structure somewhere, once its out and overhauled, it is OUT.

I personally have not attended a structural rekindle but my old dept went back to their last structure fire FIVE times in less than 12 hours. On the other hand, I've had to go back to one or two brush fires because of fire creep. But our (then) DC is also a BC Forestry FF in the summer months and he really knows his stuff, so we had a good coach.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 04-10-2007 at 02:11 PM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Structure because it is a lot more fun. Pulling hose, throwing ladders, catching hydrants, performing searches, verticle ventilation, etc.

Forum Member

We do "both" structure and brush/grass...I hesitate to call the brush and river-side/bottom fires we get "wildland"--because hey, I'm in California and "wildland" here means tens and hundreds of thousands of acres burned, not tens or hundreds period.

So I guess given that the biggest "wildland" incidents I've been on haven't even reached much beyond 1000 acres, for me it gets fun and stays that way. No 5-day campaign action going on in my neck of the woods.

I guess you could put it this way:
    Structure firefighting is hot & heavy, intense labor for a relatively short period of time (2-3 hours, maybe more if a larger structure involved).
    Brush/Grass firefighting isn't as "intense" a level of labor as interior attack in structural fires, but it's more drawn out and prolonged, and taxes your endurance.

Both are dangerous, both are physically demanding, and both are rewarding.

What I have yet to be assigned to, and want to do sometime, maybe this season, is work structure protection in the Interface.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    What I have yet to be assigned to, and want to do sometime, maybe this season, is work structure protection in the Interface.
    Structure protection SUCKS! 90% of the time it won't get near the structure you're protecting... at least in my experience. Sometimes the homeowners leave the house open and say the fridge is free for the picking though! That makes 15 hours of BSing with your crew a little better!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1 View Post
    Structure protection SUCKS! 90% of the time it won't get near the structure you're protecting... at least in my experience. Sometimes the homeowners leave the house open and say the fridge is free for the picking though! That makes 15 hours of BSing with your crew a little better!
    Well yeah, from that POV it would suck, cause my "crew" would be me and maybe two other guys, tops. Three if the staffing's really good. *LOL*

However, like I said--our idea of "wildland" is maybe a thousand or two acres...and we don't have the extra apparatus or manpower to commit to "protecting" structures that aren't threatened. If we're doing structure protection, it's cause that structure needs protection, not "just in case". So maybe it'll be a diff experience for me....or at least I can always hope.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

We do both and I like both. They each have their own challenges which makes the two of em fun
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Thread Information