MembersZone Subscriber

Default need some direction

Im not sure if this is the EXACT place to post this but here goes. I have always had the dream of becoming a career firefighter. I will finally get my chance to start the testing process in a couple of weeks. thats the GREAT side of the story. The downisde. My current job I love, but the pay is so-so, with NO benefits. The other day I was approached by someone to do something very similar, with decent pay, and great benefits. Actually it was for an interview, not the job. My big delema is, what if I get this job? Do I let them know that within the next few months, I will have the chance at another job that if offered, I will most certainly take? Or do I turn them down and focus on my dream of becoming a firefighter, and if fail this time, continue with the job I currently have, and return to the same old same old. Everything is just happening way to close together for me to know what the right thing to do is. I am very confused. I havent even taken the civil service test yet, so its hard for me to know if I'll even pass the CPAT. The BEST scenario would be if I turned down the new job, and got to live my dream as a career firefighter. I would feel horrible turning this job down, and not even making it past the CPAT.

Any advice???

MembersZone Subscriber

Firefighter jobs are hard to get, rarely does anyone get into the first department they try for (no one I know anyway). They get used to the process, and prepared for the test (such as the CPAT). Sometimes people don't get offered a job for years. If the new job is better for you, thats great, but you also have to think of things such as the length of time with your current job. Any fire department would rather hear that you have been at your current job for X amount of years, then hear that you have been at your job for 2 months and now you want to go into the fire department. I don't know how long you have worked for your current job, but you should consider this before you leave.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ive been with this job for about three years now

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by adam18 View Post
    Ive been with this job for about three years now
    To me, putting that you have been at your current job for 3 years is to valuable to throw away. It sooo much better than going job to job. I think it would be worth it to stick it out until you can get in!! Just my 2 cents.

MembersZone Subscriber

You forget to include other factors as his living condition, does he really need the extra cash to go by? Since this is your first time testing, I would consider it more. Personally, I would definitely take the interview, since it is just an interview. If you do get the job take it. The process of getting hired is a long one if you're new w/o experience from a volunteer FD, and no EMS cert/experience. If you do get pass CPAT, and the written civil service test...and finally the chiefs interview, you can explain your predicament in saying, I was low on the money and took the better paying job to support myself.

Thread Information