Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crash

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Wow

Some hard hitting pictures there, I hope everyone got out ok. I can't read French so I didn't get the specifics. This is a perfect example of how cab construction can be critical. This is a Spartan cab and they are not built well to withstand wrecks. Look at pictures as proof of different manufacturers cabs in crash situations. If you have more wreck pictures post them on here to show all the different ones. I have quite a few wreck pics and I will try to upload some soon. I am curious to see some responses to this. Be safe!

Quote Originally Posted by jake2415 View Post
    Some hard hitting pictures there, I hope everyone got out ok. I can't read French so I didn't get the specifics. This is a perfect example of how cab construction can be critical. This is a Spartan cab and they are not built well to withstand wrecks. Look at pictures as proof of different manufacturers cabs in crash situations. If you have more wreck pictures post them on here to show all the different ones. I have quite a few wreck pics and I will try to upload some soon. I am curious to see some responses to this. Be safe!
    Bull. Spartan and Pierce are the two chassis/cab builders that I believe are doing the most to test and build their cabs to survive an impact. I'd probably throw Ferrara in there too. Spartan was the first to do testing of seat assemblies and such to make sure you actually stay belted and bolted in the same place you started when you crashed.

THEY T-BONED A TRACTOR TRAILER. I think the cab did fairly well. The operator was ejected, and the back seat crew of the rig involved extricated their own officer with their own tools. Both the driver and the officer's injuries were not critical.

Given what they hit, the fact that the roads were icy and that the traffic preemption system failed, I think they did okay. I can only imagine what the impact speed was with the tractor trailer. You can look at all the pictures you want of impacts, but they really can be meaningless. A t-bone hit of a tractor trailer will look entirely different than an apparatus hitting a passenger vehicle.

For details of the incident, go to Billy G's site.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

The truck did its job. The intrusion into the area where someone is seated is minimal if any.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

The news report clearly said the officer was pinned in his seat, and had to be extracated. To me that would indicate intrusion into the crew area. The officers door is pushed back 10-12". It would be interesting to know what kind of speeds were involved.

I do not recall if the Metro-Star cab was ever crash tested.

As I've stated before very lucky crew in that engine are very, very lucky. And glad to hear the crew is ok as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Response

I imagine that the speeds were significant as there was alot of damage. All I know is that I have seen many wrecked trucks and most of the spartans I have seen have been destroyed. I don't have any pictures of the wreck but I know Kansas City ran one of there E-One's into a underpass at aprox. 45 miles per hour and hit dead center of the truck and there was no intrusion into the cab. I can say that the manufacturers of there own custom cab have done more than spartan to test and solidify there cabs. I would be intrested to see more crash pics with other cabs to compare... please post

Quote Originally Posted by jake2415 View Post
    I can say that the manufacturers of there own custom cab have done more than spartan to test and solidify there cabs. I would be intrested to see more crash pics with other cabs to compare... please post
    Prove it.

Pictures don't show you squat as there are too many variables. Angle of impact, area of the cab face impacted, weight of item struck, there have to be so many variables they are too numerous to count.

You probably see more Spartan crashes because they sell the most custom chassis. That makes sense to me.

I'm sorry, I just won't buy into the notion that Spartan doesn't test their product "as much as everyone else."
    Last edited by npfd801; 04-12-2007 at 01:29 AM. Reason: typos
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

spartan makes a good cab....... not as much plastic junk as some others i think the cab did ok myself but i would not want to have been in it! for what they hit it did well

Forum Member

Question

Bull. Spartan and Pierce are the two chassis/cab builders that I believe are doing the most to test and build their cabs to survive an impact. I'd probably throw Ferrara in there too. Spartan was the first to do testing of seat assemblies and such to make sure you actually stay belted and bolted in the same place you started when you crashed.
    Just to stir the pot a little more..........

Wasn't ALF the first to do ECE-R29 crash testing?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firechiefkev View Post
    Just to stir the pot a little more..........

Wasn't ALF the first to do ECE-R29 crash testing?
    Yes they were, but they only met the standard. Other builders have exceeded it. What everyone should look at now is the testing to SAE standard which from what I have heard is a lot more demanding. Not sure of the exact specifics between the ECE and SAE.

Thank God they're OK. You guys can argue who's cab is better all you want. We'll all benefit from it, if you can keep it educational and not attack each others OPINION.
    I think with all the "apparatus-vs- the rest of the world" going on out there, it might be a good time for the manufacturers to build more intrusion protection into the rigs. And not just sides, the roofs take some nasty hits as well. You guys seem pretty well read on this.........are the builders taking all this into their designs?

MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

Default Translation.....

and I believe Domi411 a poster here, is a member of Quebec City....

so maybe he may know more....

poorly done...but readable...

Whereas he answered a call of jaws with the 201 on the Large-Alley with the height of the street Claire-Fountain, vehicle 203 violently ran up against a truck-trailer of the Matrec company while crossing the boul. Charest at the level of the street of the Aqueduct. The truck-trailer circulated in western direction whereas the pump was in southern direction.

According to the first information, the driver of the truck-trailer would not have seen the fire which had just changed with the intersection.

The force of the impact was such as the driver of the 203 was ejected of its vehicle whereas this last was going to be failed on a post of light which it tore off on other side of the boul. Charest. The officer is remained prisoner in his truck whereas a beginning of fire made rage in the console of the truck-pump. The two firemen of pallet, who were not seriously wounded, carried out the extinction of the fire and extracts the officer from his annoying position with the grips of desincarceration of vehicle 203.

Extremely fortunately, the wounds with two of the four firemen whom one believed very serious it were not as much as one grew it initially. 3 of the firemen of the team received their leave of the hospital in day while 4th was operated for a fracture with ankle.

As of it the photographs are taken, the cabin of the 203 is a total loss.

Smaller part::

It is necessary rappeller that a very serious accident had occurred on January 9, 1991 with the same intersection, but opposite side whereas vehicle 61 had smashed the wall of a trade which made the south-eastern corner of the intersection.
    Last edited by WaterbryVTfire; 04-12-2007 at 12:31 PM. Reason: additonal info
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Gotta love those web based translations!!!

I'm not saying that the Spartan is better than anyone. I will however defend that they crash tested their product, and continue to work on improving it.

I'm more pleased that the two injured fellas were not seriously injured, and that regardless of what cab they were riding it, will be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefy View Post
    Thank God they're OK. You guys can argue who's cab is better all you want. We'll all benefit from it, if you can keep it educational and not attack each others OPINION.
    I think with all the "apparatus-vs- the rest of the world" going on out there, it might be a good time for the manufacturers to build more intrusion protection into the rigs. And not just sides, the roofs take some nasty hits as well. You guys seem pretty well read on this.........are the builders taking all this into their designs?
    I agree with you it's upsetting that we have to drag this sh** into a thread about fellow firefighters getting injured. I don't have a problem talking about it but lets start a new thread. I feel it's disrespectfull to the injured firefighters.

Thread Information