Thread: The Story

Exclamation The Story

ok folks here it goes. I am in the DEPS program for the USAF. Good news...I got my number one pick-Firefighter! I leave for basic in August. So should be in San Angelo by late September early October. Now for my paperroll of Questions, some are reposts, sorry just checking for updates, some are from what i have read unique. So here we go!

First of all, i am not as big as i would like to be, any bulking advice from anyone who may of had a similiar problem.
    -Second.. well actually last, just very major for me and my plans. I am engaged. As of the hour, the plan is to try and have a wedding sometime shortly after tech. I do not even know if that will be possible, Does anyone have any advice as far as timing a marriage in the AF. I more or less need this info for my Fiance. she has been so patient with me and the DEP system, i would just like to have a better expierenced idea of things. Also any newlywed USAF FireFighters. My liason helped me land the FireFighter idea solely based off of my Engagement, as well as my prior community effort of course. I would be eternally gratefull if anyone could give me the slightest help. Thanks. and God Bless

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JJSalinas87 View Post
    ok folks here it goes. I am in the DEPS program for the USAF. Good news...I got my number one pick-Firefighter! I leave for basic in August. So should be in San Angelo by late September early October. Now for my paperroll of Questions, some are reposts, sorry just checking for updates, some are from what i have read unique. So here we go!

First of all, i am not as big as i would like to be, any bulking advice from anyone who may of had a similiar problem.
    -Second.. well actually last, just very major for me and my plans. I am engaged. As of the hour, the plan is to try and have a wedding sometime shortly after tech. I do not even know if that will be possible, Does anyone have any advice as far as timing a marriage in the AF. I more or less need this info for my Fiance. she has been so patient with me and the DEP system, i would just like to have a better expierenced idea of things. Also any newlywed USAF FireFighters. My liason helped me land the FireFighter idea solely based off of my Engagement, as well as my prior community effort of course. I would be eternally gratefull if anyone could give me the slightest help. Thanks. and God Bless
    Not being bulky is not a problem, lack of stamina is. Just work on cardio and raise that stamina level and you will do just dandy. I have known a few people to go through that were skinny as a stick, they still made it with flying colors.

I was in the same situation as you with the engagement. Here's what I did. We were planning on getting married after Tech School, but about 3/4 of the way through my orders came down and I was going to be assigned to Ramstein Air Base, Germany. When you get assigned overseas and you want you spouse to go with you, you need to have them on your orders and they have to go through a medical screening process that can only happen after your married.

Getting married was not hard at all. I just took one friday afternoon after class, went down to the courthouse in San Angelo, signed the dotted line, and wham, bam, thank you ma'am. We had a little ceremony with the Chaplain, my mom, and classmates on Saturday and had a big family wedding when I went home on leave after Tech School. Here's a little tip, your wife will get full benefits if your married going into the AF. While your at basic you and her will get full medical and she will recieve BAH (housing allowance) for whereever she is living at (ZIP code). I am not telling you what you should do, however, keep that in mind. Same goes with Tech School. She cannot live with you while you are in training, however, you will still recieve BAH. Because she cannot be with you during basic and tech school, the Air Force will pay for her to live at home... nice, huh?

Anyways, I hope I helped. Feel free to PM me or post another message if you have more questions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't worry about bulking up.....go for endurance!!! However, I believe you must be able to lift 100 lbs. without assistance, but not sure of what type of lift that is these days.

As far as marriage goes, I wished I was married before I went to basic but you have to do what works for you.

Thread Information