Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Swivel Dump Valves

I know Pierce (round) and Rosenbauer (square) have an option on tankers for a dump valve that swivels from side to side. I tried one on a Rosenbauer at the factory and it worked pretty slick.

Does anyone know of anyone who produces these to be sold and installed on existing tankers? I would like to retrofit our tanker with a single dump out the rear with a swivel that we dont have to used elbows and extensions.

We could add a driver side dump without to much hassle, officers side would be a problem do to dump tank rack. The swivel looks like a great option.

Forum Member

We have one that was built by Almonte Fire Apparatus in Canada. (now SeaGrave Canada). We are going for an inspection trip this Sunday to look at our new truck. I will check and see if they sell them for retrofit. If they do I will get you the contact information.

We have had ours for a couple years and it works great. Ours is a square dump.

Forum Member

Default Swivel dump

Contact Metalfab fire trucks builder in Canada, they modify a 10" square Newton With a swivel, it is a sweet looking unit and the dept. I talked to that has it loves it.www.metalfab.nb.ca

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pierce Dump

I saw this dump on Wednesday at the factory in Florida. It goes onto a 10" Bray dump valve with 180 degrees of travel. Neat looking rig. The valve is mounted on the bottom of the tank straight towards the ground and the swivel bolts onto it.
    Last edited by Engine305; 04-13-2007 at 06:57 PM. Reason: more info

AH Stock Also Makes One. www.newtonkwikdump.com

Forum Member

Default Can't find to swivel dump on Stocks's site

Quote Originally Posted by bendone View Post
    AH Stock Also Makes One. www.newtonkwikdump.com
    I can't find a link to the swivel dump on Stock's site.

Forum Member

Intially the Newton swivel dump valve looked pretty slick, however upon closer examination there were a few things I did not like.

- it looks like it would freeze up easily.
    - the drop at the end of the dump to get the water into the chute appears to be low. Will it clear the portable tank (especially big tanks) in most situtions, probably not.
    - IMO a butterfly valve is the best valve for a tanker dump, especially in cold weather.
    - I'm not sure the overall contruction is tough enough.

Like I said before, it's a slick enough idea. I'm just not sure that this particular one is the real answer.

Stay Safe

Heres a picture of the Newton swivel valve. This is the prototype on a test tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Email and photos I received from Metalfab
    I would like to thank you for your inquiry concerning our Swivel Dump.
    We have been manufacturing these for installation on our own apparatus.
    We have not sold them as a retrofit unit for installation on an existing
    unit as of yet. In order to price this for you, we would need
    dimensions your truck, plus we would need the body and tank material. A
    digital picture of the rear of the unit would also be an asset. I have
    attached a few pictures of this dump unit. If you have any additional
    questions or if you require more information, please feel free to
    contact me.

Thank you,

Ryan A. Stacey, CET
    Sales & Marketing Manager
    Metalfab LTD
    Tel - 1-800-561-0012 Ex. 24
    Fax - 1-506-276-3648

Rather low to the ground/foldatank height of concern (as stated with the Stock dump).
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Forum Member

Talking Swivel dumps

Our department has a swivel on a Pierce Contender DX 3000 gallon Tanker.
    I like the idea and the way it swivels. The only problem is that if you open the valve all the way then water comes out from all around the swivel. The pressure out of the tank is so great the 10 inch elbo restricts the flow of water and back pressures making it leak everywhere. They tell me there is nothing they can do to fix it. Poor design I guess!!!!

Forum Member

I think Rosenbauer sells theirs aftermarket.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Pierce Contender

We took delivery of a 3000 gallon Contender in February. Upon first looking at this truck it leaked at the swivel and between the slides on the shute. Our salesman said this will be taken care of. We have since had this to the dealer several times even tried new chute to no avail. Now according to the dealer, Pierce says that this amount of leakage is normal. I have been in the rural fire service for thirty years and have never seen a tanker, not even home made, leak like this. Maybe in Florida this is acceptable but not in Illinois with many winter days below freezing. This creates an undue amount of ice causing safety and operational issues. We bought this truck because we have always had good solid apparatus from Pierce. Not this time! I would tell all to steer away from the Contender.

MembersZone Subscriber

The ONLY issue with the truck is water leakage at the swivel dump/chute so you wouldn't but the truck again? Perhaps just replace the chute with a std fixed until.

Forum Member

Seagrave Canada sells a retro kit for the swivel dump. I am sure that they know what they are doing with the below zero temps that they deal with. I would bet that theirs does not leak!

Quote Originally Posted by Quint23 View Post
    Seagrave Canada sells a retro kit for the swivel dump. I am sure that they know what they are doing with the below zero temps that they deal with. I would bet that theirs does not leak!
    don't bet to much theirs leaks to. My department has one on our tanker and it leaks the only thing that seals it is the grease that lubs it . we got a price 4 years ago to replace a dump vale on another tanker with the swivel valve it was aprox. $2500 Canadian.

MembersZone Subscriber

neiowa
    In my previous post I stted that they
    have tried new shute to no avail, infact it was worse. Sorry about thee rant and your right it is not the truck but the company and lack of cncern for there customers hard earned money.

Forum Member

Cool Never heard a complaint about Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by ffemt1977 View Post
    neiowa
    In my previous post I stted that they
    have tried new shute to no avail, infact it was worse. Sorry about thee rant and your right it is not the truck but the company and lack of cncern for there customers hard earned money.
    Just joking! Don't need attacks from Pierce fanatics. We actually have a 1988 Pierce Midi pumper and its been a good truck.

We have a new Rosenbauer tanker with dumps on rear and sides - works slick. We are building a 2nd tanker that would be used for grass fires and shuttles on structure, trying to keep cost down on the 2nd tanker.

From all the responses, I guess we will go with a standard square dump on the rear and use a elbow.

Thanks for everyone's input, hopefully the engineers at the manufacturers watch ths board and see what people don't like about the swivel dump and work to improve it. But they have to start somewhere......
    Last edited by mitchkrat; 04-25-2007 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Thread Information