Forum Member

Question Does anyone run Companies at their Vollie FDs?

At our Department, we train everyone on everything. We do that with the idea that you don't know who you are going to get or how many for any call.

So, I was just curious if anyone out there assigns their people to a specific rig and how that works for responses. Just looking for the other side of the coin.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our dept., does not. But, I know of some vollie depts., that do.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

We just go with the flow. You get on the rig thats leaving the hall when you get there.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

IC will determine who is truck company and who is engine company when possible. Otherwise, SOP dictates who is which by response and everyone can function in all positions. I can be on our squirt and be engine 1 officer for a call and the next call I can be on our squirt and be truck 1 officer. Now that we have a 100' LT, they are normally "truck 1" and we are "engine 1".
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Pretty much the same here on my old department.We had assigned officers and regular drivers to make sure if someone brought a rig that they could do something with it and not wait for an engineer to respond.
    No volunteer department should have the policy of"First guy there gets to drive"unless every member is qualified to pump or otherwise use a rig's equipment,but that's just my opinion.
    We had two stations and the district was divided by a river.The role of truck and engine was decided by which part of the district the call was in.First in was the engine,second arriving is the truck.
    On training nights,before we sat down for dinner,the role would be taken to assign people to the engines or decide which EMTs would respond in the utility truck or air truck for medical runs.With two stations taking turns hosting training,the other station would ride the rig over and bring their gear in case something came up during the session.
    Last I heard on a recent visit was that a ladder truck was in the works and the powers that be were considering assigning people to that rig to make sure that a skilled crew was on board.
    Last edited by doughesson; 04-11-2007 at 02:40 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    No volunteer department should have the policy of"First guy there gets to drive"unless every member is qualified to pump or otherwise use a rig's equipment,but that's just my opinion.
    People actually do that??? Damn
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

We all train for everything due to not always knowing who will respond.Only difference is our ladder since not everyone feels comfortable driving or operating it.We also wont let you drive unless you can demonstrate full knowledge of operating the truck.

anyone who would like to be trained on an apparatus gets trained, once they get certified on a truck they can choose to drive it if they get there first, we have about 10-15 drivers certified on all of our trucks, so when they get there, it's first come first serve

Forum Member

Thumbs up

SHFD739:
    Can you tell me more how you run you Truck? It sounds like we have the same senerio. A few questions: When does your ladder roll. 1st, 2nd, 3rd? If someone is assigned to the ladder and the pumper needs people, what do they do? Also, do only the truckies ride it or would they take anybody to fill the last seat?
    Sorry for all the questions, but it sounds like you are doing what I was curious about.

Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Well, we don't have a ladder, only engines, so that answers that question. As far as the traditional "truck" duties on the fireground (vent, laddering the building, forcible entry, etc.), everyone is trained in all roles because you never know what assignment you are going to get.

I think most of my guys have never really even understood that there are "engine" jobs and "truck" jobs, because nobody around here has trucks. We and all our neighboring companies run only engines (2-story buildings are rare )......around here it's all just firefighting....

There is a neighboring combination department that has one ladder truck, but they seldom use it....it's supposed to roll on all structure fires, but it seldom does. Another vollie department that we run mutual aid with a lot is supposed to be getting a ladder this year or next, because they do have a few 2 and even 3 story buildings they are concerned with. But I'm pretty sure they won't have dedicated engine and truck companies.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Two (that I know of)of the vollie departments in McCracken County Ky had ladders but my old department was supposed to have relied on Paducah's if we needed one.
    The problem with that is that the city budget won't allow for Paducah to keep a crew for their ladder 24/7 and if we needed it,we'd have to call them,wait for them to call their guys in,wait for the rig to get to our area,etc.
    I'd heard a few officers mention that it'd be quicker to call another volunteer department to borrow theirs,even if they did have to come out the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Well, we don't have a ladder, only engines, so that answers that question. As far as the traditional "truck" duties on the fireground (vent, laddering the building, forcible entry, etc.), everyone is trained in all roles because you never know what assignment you are going to get.
    There is a neighboring combination department that has one ladder truck, but they seldom use it....it's supposed to roll on all structure fires, but it seldom does. Another vollie department that we run mutual aid with a lot is supposed to be getting a ladder this year or next, because they do have a few 2 and even 3 story buildings they are concerned with. But I'm pretty sure they won't have dedicated engine and truck companies.

MembersZone Subscriber

We're an engine company so we don't have the cross training some departments have. We do train in ladder ops because going in on mutual aide you never know what your going to be assigned. But one of our mutual aide companies has a policy the you start as a engine company firefighter and you must qualify to ride the ladder. It seems to work for them.
    ex Chief 500

MembersZone Subscriber

Our local deptartment is made up of 4 engine companies and 1 ladder company. Each is run separately, until they respond to a call. Our initial structural assignment is supposed to be 2 engines, and our tower, all falling under the command of either the chief, one of his deputies, or the first arriving company officer.

Forum Member

i feel assinging ppl to trucks is quite frankly the dumbest thing ive ever heard, we are a volunteer dept. hints the volunteer no one has to show up, and whos to say that they will. you roll whatever truck you need. if its a firealarm at a 10 story retirement home you roll a ladder, a car wreck roll whatever you have your extrication tools on. but never assign your ppl to certain trucks.

Forum Member

They must have more volunteers than most departments to meet the demands of assignments.

Forum Member

Some places don't have the manpower shortages others do. There are volunteer department's that have enugh people regularly at the station, or assigned duty crews, and could assign people to a rig.

Thread Information