Default Wanted Firefighting, but got SF Instead

But my recruiter told me i can run with a department off base, is this true?

And what about overseas. i would really like to run with a dept in germany or england

Permanently Removed

Did you ever watch "Private Benjamin"? She said it first- "Dont trust the Recruiter!"

Run with a department off base? Are you kiddding me? Youre not a citizen of that country and they are oging to let you run fire calls?

Get real- Youre in the military now. You do what they tell you to do. Your private time is going to be very limited. You wont have time to run on and off base. Besides, the MPs at the check points will get tired of dealing with this situation.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mock88 View Post

And what about overseas. i would really like to run with a dept in germany or england
    Do you know German? 99% of the departments in the local areas surrounding any AF base in Germany (assuming you are joining the Air Force) are all volunteer and 99.9% do not speak English.. at all. If you do, more power to you, however, to be honest not all the off-base departments have a good working relationship with the American military.

I can't speak for England too well but I know that SFs in most of USAFE work panama schedule. I believe they are going to 8hr shift schedules soon... It changes every few months. I am in ALS with a few cops from different squadrons and they complain about not having enough time as it is. It is difficult for even the local national Germans who work for the DoD fire departments to run with off base departments because of time restraints.

Unless you are in Basic Training or are on your way there, you can always opt-out. The contract is not finalized until you have signed the dotted line for the final time and are heading to Lackland the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Get real- Youre in the military now. You do what they tell you to do. Your private time is going to be very limited. You wont have time to run on and off base. Besides, the MPs at the check points will get tired of dealing with this situation.
    tu'che! Your private time will be limited to your upgrade training and exercises.
    Last edited by cgerdes97; 04-15-2007 at 08:14 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

USAF policy does allow it's members to actively participate in various community organizations, subject to your commander's approval. Of course, the language and cultural barriers may pose a problem. Yes, you will even have have some cultural barriers in the UK.

On the positive side, you will see some very progressive trends in firefighting while you're there. ICS and firefighter accountability was nothing new to the Brits in the early 90's. Since my last trip to the UK, there have been other changes due to technology, innovation, and their homeland security issues. Seems like they're a few years ahead of the US in some aspects.

Go back to the recruiter before you leave for basic. Tell them it's fire protection or nothing!!! By the way, USAF Fire Protection is downsizing. There may not be any available slots in the future.
    Last edited by davjohnson; 04-15-2007 at 09:35 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mock88 View Post

And did this recruiter put this in your contract? I'm guessing no. All he wanted was the check in the box and you got nailed. Don't worry, least you got something worthwhile. Just imagine how all those lowly undesignated deck seman feel after the Navy recruiter told them they could do this or that....and they are doing nothing more but chipping rust and paint all day
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Your recruiter is full of it...

Forum Member

I can't speak for the situation if you are stuck overseas, but I have seen active military as very active volunteer fire fighters from both sides of the equation. While on active duty I knew Marines who were vollies, and as a Fire Fighter I have seen lots of Vollies who were active duty, many from the Air Force. So brush up on your German, and volunteer once you get there. Seems like an AWESOME opportunity to me.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Answer this question: Do you want to be Security Forces or Firefighter?
    Pick one or the other and tell your recruiter that. You are signing up for the United States Air Force not a country club. The days and shifts can be long and not much fun some days, deployments are the norm anymore, even if you get stationed in Germany or where ever it doesn't mean that you are going to be there all the time. You are starting out as the lowest life form in the AF and will be expected to work on your training and upgrades first and foremost not trying to get training with a local volunteer fire department. Anything like that does need your supervisor and CC approval and blessing. Most will tell you no way until you are done with your CDC's and upgrade training. Now that being said MOST recruiters will not lie to you, they will only answer your question and nothing more. Example: Can you "run" with a local Vol Fire Department? Yes the man says!..Lie? No, but as stated above there will have to be a certain amount of things done first and the moons of Venus must align with Mercury or something like that. You get the point I hope.

I "run" with my local Vol Dept and yes I am active duty AF but I have been around the block so to speak. Make your choice and give 100% that is all anyone can ask!!

Good luck!

Forum Member

Default Gitsum

I wish you well with trying to volunteer but like a few of the other guys have stated, it will be hard to find time for volunteering when you have to get your 5 level. Active fire protection is going down and they are doing away with stateside duty...contracting/civil service GS the fire station out. You will most likely end up at Germany or Japan rotating back and forth from either the middle east or Korea. If you have not gone to boot yet, back out of SF if you really want fire protection. I looked at active duty first and they had no positions for Fire Protection so I opted to go air guard. Same school at Goodfellow and when you get done with Fire Academy in San Angelo, you are very marketable for a civilian job. There are also many AEF's in which you can volunteer for if you want to go to Iraq or the Middle East. Either way, USAF Fire Protection is awesome and you will gain a wealth of knowledge from Goodfellow at Garland Fire Academy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default VFD work

I volunteered for 10 of my 21 years In Sacramento CA and Bay County FL. Never had a problem you just need to seek your commanders permission.
    I tried to volunteer in England while I was stationed at RAFL. I found out that they really donít have pure volunteers. The guys in Norfolk who are what we would consider hometown volunteers are called retained firefighters since they get a monthly check. When I talked with the Deputy Chief, even with my offer to do it free had no way to make it happen. I could have become a retained FF but there was quite a waiting list at the time.

Thread Information