Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CrossFit

Forum Member

Default CrossFit

Has anyone here tried out the CrossFit workouts? A couple of us guys on the department have been going the last couple of days and it is amazing. You get power lifting and muscle endurance all in one workout.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default crossfit is a great workout for the job

I just got turned onto crossfit a few months ago, and what a huge difference it has made in my functional strength. I have been a typical gym rat for years and would tire during the exhaustive overhaul part of work. I still get tired but I have found I have become much more productive. I can't say enough about crossfit. Check out crossfit.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool great styleof workout

I have been a proponent of this style of workout. The old mentality of isolating muscle groups come from bodybuilding to tear down muscle and bulk up. It can lead to muscular imbalances and injury in the long run. Functional/overall body training is more effective for our job in my opinion. The only thing with Cross Fit is to be careful if you have ANY injuries or are out of shape. It is very intense but great fun.

Orlando Gomez FF. PT. PFT

We used to do cross fit for PT. Our Major was a cross fit freak and did his workouts with us all the time. They were hard, but you felt good after completing it. I'm looking to start into it on my own again. Gotta do something.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

I'm not really familiar with Crossfit. I've seen it on youtube and have been thinking about developing that type of workout.

I've seen various workouts. It seems to be a circuit type training with all exercises being "total body" type or modifying classic static exercises to be full body...kinda like in one video they're doing a modified upright row, more like a sumo deadlift into upright row....... neat and just what I've been looking for.

Can anyone elaborate on the philosophy, (other than go til you puke and go some more), is there any structure to the workout??
    A vomiting Firefighter is an ugly Firefighter.

Forum Member

Workout of the Day today was:
    1 mile run
    100 pullups
    200 pushups
    300 squats
    1 mile run

I have been doing CrossFit for a month now and if you asked me to do this before there was just no way. But after doing these types of workouts for only a month I feel great and it wasn't as bad as I was thinking it would be.

If you guys have any questions about the program or training in general I'll do my best to answer them. I'm a trainer/coach and own a CrossFit gym in Stamford, CT.

I'll be happy to help - Andy

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default I'm sure someone wants to know.

Quote Originally Posted by parks56 View Post
    If you guys have any questions about the program or training in general I'll do my best to answer them. I'm a trainer/coach and own a CrossFit gym in Stamford, CT.

I'll be happy to help - Andy
    For the people who aren't at that level what would you recomend them do to get to the level to be able to use crossfit

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm with OGomez on the subject of Cross Fit. I have been using that style of training for years- although I'd never heard it called that name until a few months ago.

It is a very intense, very effective, many muscles group at a time type of training. It's lots of fun...

Be careful if you have any injuries at all...

DR. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

Casimer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Cross Fit

Can someone please describe in more detail about the program and how and what exercises to do. Now I do the cardio/lifting program and just want to know if this is a better way?

Forum Member

The Crossfit program is for people that are serious about building strength.
    It's not for building pretty biceps for the beach, or "6-pack abs".

It is the best program I have ever seen for firefighters/cops.

I did triathlons competitively for 12 years, and had great endurance, but I hated the way it left me feeling weak. I didn't have that explosive strength that is needed for the job. And training for 2-3hrs per day was kinda tough with the family.

I just did a Crossfit workout, lasted about 13minutes. And I feel spent.
    Did a 400yard run, then jump-ups onto a box (21), then some push-presses with 35lb dumbells (21).
    Repeated for 3 revolutions, all without a rest.
    Seeing stars by the time I was done.

Check out their website, it's all free info.
    http://crossfit.com/
    Many of the workouts can be done at a standard gym. Or you can hook up with a Crossfit gym in your area. The website has videos of most of the exercises.

The Crossfit program is really ideal for us, it's fun, and the info is ALL FREE, so you don't have to suspect anyone's ulterior motive here.

Check it out, and have fun!!!!

I have been doing Crossfit for the past three years. I highly reccommend it to anyone. Especially anybody in a physical demanding field of work. I was previous military and now am pursuing to be a firefighter and do the prescribed wods everyday
    It becomes almost like a drug, everyday you wake up wanting more. One of the positive things about Xfit is that you dont fall into the monotonous routine of "bi's & tri's" Everyday it is something new, and constantly changing,
    Below is a link that will help you catch a glimpse of their theory:
    http://www.crossfit.com/cf-download/CFJ-trial.pdf

Dont be intimidated by the work outs or the weight, fix it to your limits, and remember correct form

3,2,1, Go

Forum Member

Thanks 42 that's what I was looking for.
    A vomiting Firefighter is an ugly Firefighter.

Thread Information