Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default 2 Weeks before CPAT

Hey all

- Well Ive got 2 weeks before my CPAT test
    - Ive been training for about 2 months now - I started out 3 times a week

The first 3 weeks consisted of cardio and high weight low rep lifting
    After about 3 weeks of that - I moved up to 5 times a week doing pretty much the same workout

For the past 3 weeks now Ive been doing twice a day (minus the weekends) - Ive been doing heavy cardio, and have switched to low weight high rep (trying to further increase my muscle endurance)

Ive been doing 20 minute sets at between 60-80 steps a minute on the step mill BUT my gym will not allow me to wear a weight vest or to add weight to myself while using their step mill - So Ive been doing one legged squats with 80 pounds to helps build my leg muscles for that part of the test

I feel that I've trained pretty well, but of course you always feel like you could have given alittle more

So with 2 weeks to go - would you guys recommend anything else ?

Also - Side note - I have a practice timed test tomorrow - This should also give me a decent gauge on how well I will perform

Forum Member

Stair stepper weighted.
    Do the stair stepper for 6 minutes with 70 lbs on than do a few wind sprints.
    If you can do even 2 sets of 20 yard sprints after that you'll do fine.
    I'd say the most important thing is to know the course, I watched a bunch of people fail because they had no idea what they were doing, don't be one of those guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default cpat events

Hey there...
    read here, http://www.fireagility.com/cpat_events.php
    it might give you some insight into your events if you have not taken it before. I am concerend for you because you have not trained with the weight vest. I think the 1 legged squats were a great idea... but I would have done them along WITH weight vest training.

I would change gyms! What a bunch of pansies! Above suggesttion is good, but it is probably a little too late for that...

Also, I wrote a short article on what to eat on test day. I'll cut and past it here for you:

Let’s start with the 3 days before the big test! Eating right on test day is not near enough! If you want to test well… remember that garbage in means garbage out! If you eat junk, you’ll perform just that way! You need to start carb loading and hydrating 3 days before the big day!

Portions:
    For the purposes of this article, a serving of a protein, fruit or vegetable is the size of one’s fist.

Protein:
    By this I mean pure protein: fish, eggs (remove a white), turkey, chicken, pork or lean beef. Peanut Butter does not count.

Fats:
    During this time, limit your fats to what is inherent to your food. Eat no fried food until your test is over. You may eat a pat of butter on your whole wheat toast, BUT: eat no hydrogenated fat- not margarine, peanut butter*, crackers or cookies that have even “partially hydrogenated” oils in them. These types of fats sit like sludge in your veins. They slow you down and impair your oxygen carrying capacity. This means you will be slower, and get out of breath more than you would have otherwise.

*Peanut butter is one of the biggest sources of hydrogenated fats in the American diet. Most of it is just lard with peanut flavor! There's a new kind out- you should try it:"Smart Balance" peanut butter. It is loaded with Omega 3's, and it tastes GREAT!

Raw Nuts:
    I repeat RAW nuts. I good mix of raw nuts (even in a trail mix) is easy to find at Trader Joe’s! Bring a big zip lock bag in your bag to the tournament! Great for snacking! Eat only a handful at a time… at most, 2 handfuls/hour.

Sugar and White flour:
    Both of these are short chain carbohydrates/simple carbs. They result in quick energy, and a slow of energy afterwards as your blood sugar plummets. Eat whole wheat pasta, bread, avoid sugar during this time. No white bread.

Processed Food:
    I have not found much processed food that was not chock full of hydrogenated fat, white flour and sugar. So stay away from it. Eat whole foods. Real food, as straight from the earth as you can.

*Peanut butter is one of the biggest sources of hydrogenated fats in the American diet. Choose either the Laura Scudder’s type; just smashed peanuts and salt.... or Smart Balance. If you only like the other kind, then give it up altogether!
    Day – 3
    • 3 servings of protein: one at each meal.
    • 3-4> servings of fruit: eat at meals or snacks.
    • 3-4 servings of vegetables today. Try to eat them raw, but you can slightly cook your veggies.
    • Salt your food, but not heavily.
    • Eat Whole wheat products if you are eating them, and eat brown rice instead of white.
    • 6 glasses of water today.
    Day – 2
    • 3-4 servings of fruit: eat at meals or snacks.
    • 3-4 servings of vegetables today. Try to eat them raw, but you can slightly cook your veggies.
    • Eat a large salad with dinner.
    • Eat Whole wheat products if you are eating them, and eat brown rice instead of white.
    Day – 1 this is the day before test day.
    • 3-4 servings of fruit: eat at meals or snacks.
    • Eat a large salad with dinner, and pasta or brown rice.
    Morning of:
    • Wake up at least 2 hours before your test.
    • Drink something warm so you can go to the bathroom (#2) before you leave the house. This will help you feel lighter and be faster on your feet.
    • I drink a cup of coffee or 2 because it helps mobilize free fatty acids, this turning up your fat burning machine, and reducing the glycogen used… you’ll need all you can get!
    • Eat 2-5 eggs… I remove all the whites but one. This will depend on your size!
    • Drink a cup of juice
    • Eat Oatmeal or 2 pieces of whole wheat toast (one pat of butter only)
    • Bring a piece of fruit for a snack in you have to wait, plus some raw nuts. OR:
    2- 3 energy bars- ones with protein in them… balance bars or such.
    • Drink water this morning!!!
    Lunch/Test day: if you test in the afternoon…
    • Nothing fried, No hotdogs. Eat a sandwich and a piece of fruit.
    • Water!!!!!!

If you have any questions at ALL about what you should be or not be eating, do NOT hesitate to ask. Just be ready for the answer. You might not hear what you were hoping for!!!

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com
    www.backsafegolf.com
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 04-14-2007 at 10:10 AM. Reason: for to sign

Forum Member

thanks for the replies guys! (and gals)

You would not believe the day I had saturday (The day I was supposed to take my practice test) - everything worked against me . . everything from bad directions to car problems . . . I ended up arriving about an hour and a half late - I got there in enough time to see the last 3 guys walking out (huffing air)

1 guy was almost puking (failed)
    1 guy could barely talk (failed)
    and the last guy walked out like it was nothing (passed)

the two guys who were out of breath and gagging were honest with me and told me they hadn't really worked out at all . . .
    I was able to talk to the 3rd guy for a-little while - We discussed training routines . . seems like we were doing similar stuff (although I've been doing it more frequently than him)

Anyways - I'm really bummed I didn't make it for the practice test . . . Atleast I know exactly where it is now - and my car problems are resolved - so come test day I should be good to go

- About my training . . For the next 2 weeks Im going to bump up from 2 hours a day (twice a day) to 3.5 hours a day - twice a day -
    - About my diet . . Thanks for the advice about nutrition 3 days before the test
    I have seriously altered my diet over the last 2 months (Diet with working out has caused me to shed 22 pounds)

Ive also e-mailed acouple weight vest suppliers to see how quickly I could get a weight vest - Unfortnately there aren't not to many good sports stores around here that carry vests . . .which forces me to look online

- I feel irresponsible for not making it to the practice test . . but I guess you just get dealt bad cards sometimes . . .
    I also feel sorta bad for waiting so long to get a vest . . luckily I've been training pretty hard - So hopefully the vest training wont be to hard . . but I'm still worried that come test day- I'll be the one huffing and puffing . . .

Feel free to keep commenting - thanks

Forum Member

Default 2 Weeks before CPAT: UPDATED

Update: - I just ordered the (LONG) 50# Vmax weight vest from Weightvest.com - they said I should get it by fri. or sat. - at the latest by monday

Forum Member

Try to show up to the actual test 45 minutes to 1 hour ahead of time that way if anything happens you'll have time to work with.
    With 25 min to spare give yourself a good warm up and stretch. You want to be a little moist around the eyebrows when you throw on your vest and get ready to hit the course.
    Each person is different so don't base it on what you've seen.
    If you haven't done the course yet, do it!
    The first time I took the practice course I was so screwed up that I was gigged on almost every event and would've failed on time because of confusion. On the actual test I made it with almost 3 minutes to spare.
    The key is to know some of the tricks to saving time on the test.
    Good luck and keep us updated.
    BTW do you have a link to the test your taking?

Forum Member

My only concern, actually, would be overtraining leading up to the test. If you've been working out as hard as stated, it would be beneficial to back off gradually the week before, especially if this next week you are bumping your workouts up again. From an athletic standpoint, increasing workout volume actually won't be as beneficial as keeping up with what you had been doing (2x2hr/day workouts is WAY more than enough to prep you for the CPAT), and then going to 1xday workouts the last week, and lighter cardio stuff the couple days before the test to allow your muscles to replenish their glycogen stores and be fully rested. Much like tapering for a big race, if you ever ran/swam/rowed/etc competitively.

Definitely read up on the test though and know the critical fail points. Is there any way you can at least see the course before you take the test? I took the CPAT for the first time about a month ago. The person before me didn't seem to be versed in the rules, stepped out of bounds, and was disqualified. I had at least seem the course once before, even though I couldn't do a practice run through of the whole thing, so that helped out. You can be in great physical condition and fail for stepping out of bounds, dropping the saws/ladder/sledgehammer, etc, so know the rules of the game.

I also did not have a weighted vest to train with and didn't have an actual stairmill to practice on. I compensated much the way you have, although I was only doing double workouts twice a week. Also, sounds like your gym probably wouldn't be too fond of this, but a couple time I did the stairmaster with a weight bench bar held over my shoulders (a 20lb one, not the standard 45) which could help simulate a little extra weight.

hth, good luck!

Forum Member

Well the vest came in today

I'm going to start training with it tomorrow . . . .

I'll let ya guys know how much of a difference It feels like its gonna make

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Weight vest

I think if you use it properly, it will make a huge difference!

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

Forum Member

It has made a difference - I feel a difference in my legs . . .

Ive been going 10 minutes on the stair stepper (I have to start holding the rails after 6-7 minutes)

But Ive also been doing squats and other various workouts -
    Ive also been just wearing it around the house while doing house work and such

I really wish I had gotten it sooner - But you live and learn I suppose

I'm going to rest today - do my full Work out Thursday - then rest Friday (the test is Saturday morning)

Forum Member

Well the big day is tomorrow-

I'm letting my body catch up and rest today - Ive been eating lots of protein and fruit -

I think I've done just about all I can do to get ready - I only wish I had bought my vest sooner . . .oh well . .

I'll update you guys tomorrow and let you know how it goes

Forum Member

Take water with you so that you can stay hydrated.

Forum Member

Well I Passed

I passed in 8 minutes 30 seconds I believe

Ive got an interview date now

- The test was about what I expected
    I decided that I didnt wanna "just pass" I decided that I wanted to try really hard and get a decent time. . . so I gave it my all - I ran full speed with that hose . . . and I pulled that dummy pretty quick to - And I sure did get the push/pull machine making lots of noise!

If anyone who hasnt taken the test yes had any questions . . let me know!

MembersZone Subscriber

congrats bro was that for clark county nv

Thread Information