Forum Member

Default information on 18 wheeler extrication of cab

I am wanting to know it any body has and suggestions, thoughts, ideas, video, information on how to extrication victims from the cab of wrecked 18 wheeler wheither it be up right or on it side. I went an assistied my former local deparment yesterday morning with one that was on it side with a victim trapped in the cab and it took everyone over 4 and 1/2 to remove the victim cause everyone was playing it by ear on what to do cause no one had to planned for something like this so if anyone has any information i can pass along please let me know thanks

Forum Member

A article titled "too high for the eye" I pass along in my cross training courses that I teach, emphasizes the use of a tiltbed being dispatched so rescue personal can use as a platform to work on the cab of the truck.

This allows the rescuer to use the tools much easier w/o having to lift them over their head.

It also gives a advantage of bring the patient out on a long board, tilting the bed and sliding down to the gurney

hope this helps some
    howie aka scooby
    www.jandhsupply.com

Forum Member

What's a truck designed to do? Haul product.The lighter the cab,the more product it can haul.A recip saw can be a valuable tool on a TT wreck. For a start try to obtain a copy of Big Rig Rescue by Billy Leach Jr sold through AW Direct in Conn.Even better,attend or sponsor a BRR class in your region.Know where your resources are ahead of time:Heavy tow trucks,slide back car carriers and KNOW who in your response area is COMPETENT to use them and involve them in mutual trainings.Think of a rig as a huge car.They come apart(HRT)the same way but because they are generally built of lightweight materials your tool purchase points may be different and things that work well on cars may not work as well on a TT.Stabilization of a TT wreck can be trying and is critical to a safe outcome.This is a starting point,if you need more e-mail me.T.C.

Forum Member

We have had several of these type accidents in our area. We approach this type of call as any other. Put an attendant inside the cab with the patient for assesment / treatment. Access could be through the front windsheld if its on its side or through a door if it's on its' wheels. Have that person cover them up with blankets, then start extracation. Extracation we have found to be quicker using a sawsall and cutting the cab away from the patient. Some of this work may have to be done off ladders. The attendant inside can direct when you are getting close to the patient. If the rig is on its wheels just make the doors bigger, making sure roof is supported. If the rig is on its side, treat it like a normal van on its side. Just take and Sawsall or Air Chisel 3 sides of the roof and fold it down. Cut cross supports, pull away / cut away interior. Access to patient. Then normal patient packaging.

MembersZone Subscriber

We cover a good deal of intestate highway and work several truck extrications a year. The sawz-all and air chisel are our most common tools used. A knowledgable heavy tow truck operator and a properly equipped heavy wrecker or rotator can be a great tool. The Tennessee Association of Rescue Squads does several truck and bus extrication classes per year.

www.tnars.org
    click the rescue college link
    Scooby - good to see you on this board too!

Joe
    Last edited by WCENG23; 04-17-2007 at 09:56 PM.

Forum Member

hey joe, as you can see, I just got back to looking here...lol

glad to see your here also

have been busy with teaching courses and doing shows, it just slowed down after Baltimore.

gearing up for a full plate in 08, hopefully I can get some more time to float around in here more often

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up For those interested...

For those interested in BIG RIG RESCUE, please visit www.cccc.edu, follow the link to the ESTC schedule, and then click on BIG RIG RESCUE. Central Carolina Community College offers a Level 1 course four times per year at an incredibly low cost per person. The college has a permanent site prepared for training with a loaded mixer overturned onto an auto, loaded tractor trailer overturned onto an auto, mixer vs. car in a ditch, and other challenging scenarios. Those attending will receive continuing education credits through a recognized and accredited delivery agency.

Unique and safe methods of stabilizing the large vehicle will be presented and practiced. Attendance is limited to ensure maximum hands-on.

Forum Member

Big Rig Rescue is also our featured class this year at Extrication Fest held at the Texas Motor Speedway in Ft Worth March 14-16, 2008.
    As TC said if your department is subject to large vehicle accidents this is a must see training program.
    We were fortunate to have Billy last year and by overwhelming request we are featuring his Big Rig Rescue level 1 class again this year.
    Also as TC said if you are dealing with heavy vehicles one of the most important tools you have is a good working and training relationship with a local towing company. Just like our trucks with thousands of dollars of rescue equipment on them these trucks are equipped with special equipment to handle this type scenarios and like us their people are highly trained in using them, but for a rescue operation to run smooth and effectively you must know what they need from your people and they must know what you need from them. This comes from training together on regular bases.
    I also agree with many of the others, a recip saw is one of the best tools for cutting truck cabs because most everything on them is either aluminum or fiberglass.
    http://www.midsouthrescue.org
    Is it time to change our training yet ?

MembersZone Subscriber

My FD responded to one of these a few years back. The dump truck was carrying gravel when it flipped onto its driverside. The truck then slid into a guardrail. The guardrail collapsed the dash and seat onto the drivers legs between the door (which was against the road) and seat frame. The driver was now actually sitting on the window frame with the seat, dash, and guardrail ALL holding him neatly in place. Two departments worked on this for about 90 mins. While on my second rotation the IC informed me due to severe weather moving in the helo would be leaving. All involved worked quickly to remove the driver.
    Now to my answer. The cab of a dump truck or even a big rig seems to come apart much easier than a vehicle. Although the frames are much stronger the cab structure is not. Remember A posts on vehicles must be able to hold 1.5 times the vehicles weight. On an 80,000 lb 18 wheeler thats not possible. From the experiences I have had with training and practical knowledge the true difference is the work height of what you are working on. To my knowledge, and if someone knows for sure please correct me, standard practices for dash rolling door removal etc. will work fine with respect to size and height.

Thread Information