Forum Member

Default Questions Before I Begin

I have a few questions i would like addressed before i begin my training

First, I am about 5'10 153 pounds. I am very strong for my size i squat anywhere between 250 to 395 and i can run forever. My legs are strong but could be stronger. I know that i need to work on some incline workouts to be ready for the stair climb and emergencies where climbing flights of steps are needed. I would also like to bulk up in weight. My current diet is horrible. I rarely get three full meals and if i do im sure its not what i am supposed to be eating. With my high rate of metabolism i burn anything i eat very quickly. If anyone has a workout that not only incorporates incline but also a full body workout that would help me not only bulk up but gain the muscle mass to put my weight around 165-180lbs it would be much appreciated. Also if anybody has a diet plan that could help me i would gladly commit to it. I need to eat big to get big and i need to eat the right things. (If anyone has suggestions with protein shakes, creatine etc.)

Second, Im going to Oregon over the summer to get my training. I know nothing about the Oregon fire departments or where ill even be training. All i know is that Oregon has forest fires which is not the case in Chicago where i will hopefully one day work. Will the training i recieve with any department in Oregon help me in the long run more than a department in a place such as Chicago or Cincinnati would? And if anyone has info about Oregon that would be helpful as well.

Third, this is what worries me most. I knew at the beginning of my junior year i didnt want to go to college. I felt that going straight into firefighting young would be a better choice and to be honest im glad ive pursued that option rather than college. My worry is the EMT training. I know that i can gain take the course at a local community college but i have not taken the ACT nor the SAT. My question is is my future as a firefighter in jepordy because i didnt prepare for college? And what can i do to combat the problem if it is?

Fourth and abviously not as important as the other three is should i wait until after im a firefighter to get a tattoo? I dont want one that is clearly visible such as on the face neck or hands but if i got a small one on my arm or leg would it make a difference in my acceptance.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

You don't say how old you are. If you are in school stay there. Please.

Tattoo? Yeah get several that can be seen all the time. Makes you look macho!!
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Forum Member

1) Try asking this part of your question in the testing and fitness section. There are a few guys and a Doctor in there with some good advice.

2) How, and why are you going to be training somewhere that you know absolutely nothing about or even where this supposed training will be? Not sure how much training to be a wildland FF in Oregon will help you out in becoming a structural FF in Chicago. If you will be training at an FD in Oregon, I would think that you would have been given some basic info as to where, when, and who to report to, and what will be involved. Sounds a little strange to me.

3) Check with the community college offering the emt class to find out what the pre-requisites are if any. Up here, you do not need SAT to go to a community college.

4) If you are getting an FD related tattoo, it would probably be a good idea to wait until you are an actual FF. Make sure you get that cool "I fight what you fear" tattoo somewhere where everyone can see it. Don't worry, nobody will break your balls!!

Forum Member

Not sure which part of Oregon you're moving to, but we actually have cities and everything here. We aren't all loggers living in the woods. (just giving you a hard time.)

Just around Portland alone, there are several different agencies that hire. Portland Fire Bureau, Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue, Clackamas Fire, Salem Fire Bureau, Hillsboro Fire Dept. Portland is mainly urban....but depending on the dept, you'll probably get exposure to urban/rural situations. Portland & TVFR just published hiring lists for this year...and I think Clackamas just finished hiring some people.

But start networking now....I'm sure they will all be hiring again sometime in the near future when you finish school.

MembersZone Subscriber

Let's start with your physical size. Don't let anyone tell you can't do something physical.

It's not the size of the man in the fight, rather the size of the fight in the man.

As far as the tattoo goes, I will tell you differently than what has already been said. I have traveled to fire stations all over the country. I will tell you this; In some areas they are accepted. In many area they are not.

I recently spent time on the east coast. I think I was the only one in the station without multiple visible tatoos.

On the other hand there are departments who will not hire a recruit with a visible tattoo.

Lastly, many departments are requiring candidates to show their tattoos to a psychologist as part of the entry level hiring process. The shrink then determines the meaning behind the tattoo.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore View Post
    Lastly, many departments are requiring candidates to show their tattoos to a psychologist as part of the entry level hiring process. The shrink then determines the meaning behind the tattoo.
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    I have never heard of that. Your joking right?

Forum Member

1. BC's advice is golden. BC has ONE goal in mind and it is helping people as much as possible. Don't believe me? go to www.aspiringfirefighters.com or search his posts here.

2. No. I recently tested for a big city and this was part of their psych exam.

Good luck to you Aaron.

MembersZone Subscriber

Of all the things you listed, the one that sticks out the most to me is college. I would suggest that you get an education. You apparently want to be a big city firefighter and the biggest city of them all, New York, requires 30 college credits before you get in the academy. I don't know of any big city that would give a crap about your past firefighter training, you will go through their academy and learn things the way they want it done.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore View Post
    It's not the size of the man in the fight, rather the size of the fight in the man.

But as far as volume, smaller men cannot fit as much fight into themselves as larger men. You would stand no chance against a 300 pound man filled to 75% capacity with fight. You simply cannot, even with newer fight compression technology, match the volume of fight a larger man can carry, should he fill himself to an equal or greater percentage than you. It's science.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you weigh 153 and squat 395, that's pretty damn impressive! As far as training goes, I'm currently lifting 3-4x a week, and doing cardio 4x a week to get myself in the best shape possible to help me land a job sometime in the next couple years... Once I free up some funds, I'm also going to be picking up a 50 or 75 lb short weighted vest to wear when I hit the stairs. Good luck bud!

MembersZone Subscriber

TFD,
    I am not joking.

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FridayStax View Post
    If you weigh 153 and squat 395, that's pretty damn impressive! As far as training goes, I'm currently lifting 3-4x a week, and doing cardio 4x a week to get myself in the best shape possible to help me land a job sometime in the next couple years... Once I free up some funds, I'm also going to be picking up a 50 or 75 lb short weighted vest to wear when I hit the stairs. Good luck bud!
    155lbs squating 395 is VERY impressive. My guess is that its a machine though.

Forum Member

Quoting callaway75
    2) How, and why are you going to be training somewhere that you know absolutely nothing about or even where this supposed training will be? Not sure how much training to be a wildland FF in Oregon will help you out in becoming a structural FF in Chicago. If you will be training at an FD in Oregon, I would think that you would have been given some basic info as to where, when, and who to report to, and what will be involved. Sounds a little strange to me.

I was originally planning to get my training in Cincinnati and then get a transfer to Chicago. But then I got a job being an apprentice to a house builder in Oregon who is a friend of the family. They have allowed me to live with them all expenses paid and they are going to help me get enrolled into the community college. I donít know the exact area yet because I have not contacted them.

Quoting cfdeng3
    Of all the things you listed, the one that sticks out the most to me is college. I would suggest that you get an education. You apparently want to be a big city firefighter and the biggest city of them all, New York, requires 30 college credits before you get in the academy. I don't know of any big city that would give a crap about your past firefighter training, you will go through their academy and learn things the way they want it done.

Ya I understand its just getting me a little worried because I had the mindset that I AM going to be a firefighter. Not trying to sound cocky at all when I say thatÖBut this is what I want to do. I have no interest in college and now its looking like I have no choice but to get involved with it. I just donít want me not preparing for it ahead of time to be my downfall ya know?

Quoting FLA1786
    155lbs squating 395 is VERY impressive. My guess is that its a machine though.

Ya I squat that on a Hammer Strength free weight.

Forum Member

Aaron, you sound like you're a strong kid, I don't think you need to worry about that so much, but it doesn't hurt for anyone to work on getting stronger. Check with the department's that you want to test for to see what the requirements are as far as college, etc. College isn't for everyone, although it would never hurt. Good Luck to you!!

Forum Member

thank you to everyone

Forum Member

If you really want to work wild fires in Oregon you need to get on with the USDA-USFS and try to get on with eastern Oregon National forests. The most fire activity (lightning activity and human caused) is Bend Fort Rock (Deschutes NF). I was born and raised in Bend, Or and worked the Ochoco NF for 1995-1997. There is also lots of fire activity in the Wallowa Whitman. FWIW wildland fire fighting is a fun experience that is hard work and full of beautiful scenery (I spent 18 days at Crater Lake on a fire). There is little cross-over between structure fires and wildland fires. You will learn that wildland fire fighters starve fire of fuel by digging line while structural firefighters apply water to remove heat and generate smothering steam, wildland firefighters have very different tools and chainsaw techniques as well as very specific safety concerns. With that said, I am glad that I have done both as it has helped especially while working fires in the urban interface.

Thread Information