Thread: RIT Equipment

MembersZone Subscriber

Default RIT Equipment

I was wondering if anyone had information on the actual equipment that has been used in RIT activation? Does any department have dedicated RIT companies? If any information available please respond and give contact information.

MembersZone Subscriber

My dept., acts as a RIT team. Most of the equipment needed is already on the truck/engine. Irons, TIC, radios. We have dedicated RIT packs though. Each with spare mask, bottles etc....
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

Your best bet would be to post this in the forums of Rapid Intervention.com
    ([url]www.rapidintervention.com) - you will get answers from FF's who operate in many different areas using different tools & techniques offering a broad range of opinions.

Hope this helps you out...Stay Safe...

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the input. We have a well established RIT team and procedures. There has been a push to utilize more heavy rescue equipment. It is our contention that this is a resource rather than a need for RIT operations. I was hoping to find what types of equipment were used on actual RIT activations.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jasonm View Post
    Thanks for the input. We have a well established RIT team and procedures. There has been a push to utilize more heavy rescue equipment. It is our contention that this is a resource rather than a need for RIT operations. I was hoping to find what types of equipment were used on actual RIT activations.
    We run as a RIT team and all of our equip is on our engine we respond with. I'd say if your rescue could tag along with your RIT team it would be an asset.It will be nice if you need something and have it there then not have it there.

MembersZone Subscriber

IMPO, I'm seeing RIT teams becoming far too bogged down with equipment. I think we need to strat getting back to a fast moving, unencumbered unit.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by E229Lt View Post
    IMPO, I'm seeing RIT teams becoming far too bogged down with equipment. I think we need to strat getting back to a fast moving, unencumbered unit.
    In a way I agree with you. Lets say we quote unquote go in with the "basic" equip that I understand.But still bring in your equip to the scene even if you don't pull it off the truck it's still on the scene incase you need it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink Rit

For us, when there is a residential box assignment, an extra engine is dispatched as a RIT team. Equipment is gathered at the scene from either that engine or another truck including: a hose line, entry set, chain saw, RIT bag, search rope. Two guys gather the equipment and at least one othe guy (usually officer) will do a 360 and note all entrances/ accesses, conditions, building layout. Not only for RIT but also to relay to command anything pertinent. If RIT is activated then a channel is dedicated to that assignment.

Hope that help

Forum Member

stupid mistake
    Last edited by TNFF319; 11-06-2008 at 02:26 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    The FDNY rescue companies usually act as a RIT team. I just finished The Last Men Out: Life On the Edge With Rescue 2. It made it really clear that their job at fires was to rescue Firefighters and Civillians.
    If a company acting as the FAST truck, be it a Ladder, Squad or Rescue Co., has been activated their task is the search and removal of the downed firefighter. Not civillians. That is responsibility of any company other than that with the downed firefighter.

Equipment should be dependant upon the building. However usually all that will be needed is wire cutters, irons, hook, rope and caribeeners. Less the FAST Co. carriers, the faster they will be able to move.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    The FDNY rescue companies usually act as a RIT team. I just finished The Last Men Out: Life On the Edge With Rescue 2. It made it really clear that their job at fires was to rescue Firefighters and Civillians.

FALSE! Yes their job may be to rescue firefighters. However any time a 10-75 (working fire) is transmitted a FAST truck company is assigned to the box. Rescue companies are also assigned but they are at the chiefs discretion as to where he wants them. Maybe he wants them to search the top floor or maybe he wants them on the roof, each job is different. But they don't specifically go to fires just to act as a FAST team!

Thread Information