Forum Member

Default What is on the FDNY physical exam?

Hello,
    I plan to take the FDNY physical exam in the future but I would like to be prepared. What are we exactly tested on? What are the physical tests/specs?

Just as an example, do we have to run 2 miles under a certain time limit (etc.)? Thanks for the help

Forum Member

I called FDNY today and they told me the next exam is in 2011. Yikes!! I'm still dedicated enough to wait and take the exam in 2011 but I wish I didn't have to wait that long. Do they take volunteers or anything of that sort, or would I still have to wait until 2011 for that as well?

My friend who lives in the Bronx told me he took some local firefighter exam recently just for his area. He read about it on what I think was called "Something Chief newspaper". I can't fully remember the name of the paper. Anyone know what it's called?

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Shadyboy08 View Post
    Hello,
    I plan to take the FDNY physical exam in the future but I would like to be prepared. What are we exactly tested on? What are the physical tests/specs?

Just as an example, do we have to run 2 miles under a certain time limit (etc.)? Thanks for the help

Hey contact gymrat3 who is on these forums. He knows everything there is about the FDNY!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    Hey contact gymrat3 who is on these forums. He knows everything there is about the FDNY!!
    You just had to go there, LOL!!

Forum Member

Thanks, I will contact him! I am curious what the best step for me to take now if I wanted to firefighting as a career. I heard some say I should look for volunteer around the local area (planning to do that in a few days), and others say I should look into volunteering for EMT first.

Forum Member

Ouch... can't contact gymrat hehe. His profile shows that he doesn't accept private messages.

In addition to my above post, I was wondering what most of you guys recommend as a good weight and body fat percent for being a firefighter? I am very close to 6 feet height. I'm 170lb now and 16% body fat, age 20, so I have my work cut out for me. I'm trying to raise my weight while lowering my body fat.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Shadyboy08 View Post
    Ouch... can't contact gymrat hehe. His profile shows that he doesn't accept private messages.

In addition to my above post, I was wondering what most of you guys recommend as a good weight and body fat percent for being a firefighter? I am very close to 6 feet height. I'm 170lb now and 16% body fat, age 20, so I have my work cut out for me. I'm trying to raise my weight while lowering my body fat.
    You want to be a NYC fireman? RUN. Good place to start. Shoot for running 5-6 miles a day. You make it, you will be starting your days with a 5 mile run. Then do push ups. You'll be doing alot of those. Do some sit ups. Get the core of your body in shape. Once that is done, then tackle stair masters and weights. Stamina with strength and strength with stamina. Like I've said before, you can look like Ronnie Coleman if you want, but it won't help.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

got it thanks. I know there's currently a lot of competition for being a firefighter but not enough to scare me away.

Forum Member

I'll be looking at local departments for volunteering for now. Try to see what I can get.

Forum Member

(sorry for the multiple posts... wish I could edit)

ohh it doesn't necessarily matter if I work for the FDNY. Any fire department in New York, New Jersey, etc is fine for me. I just have to look around for info.

Thread Information