MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ladder Truck Opinion

I have a question for some of you who know about all this grant writing. The city of which I work in has a ladder truck thats going on its 17th year of service. If we attempt to go for a ladder do you think we'd have a chance?

MembersZone Subscriber

How do the ages of the other apparatus line up?

MembersZone Subscriber

We have 2 engines one is a 01 and the other is a 04.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If that's all the apparatus you have then probably won't get past the computer. After all, that's still a 90 or 91. It checks average fleet age not just age of vehicle in those calculations, so even though there are some advantages with the paid contingent if you only have 3 trucks doesn't sound like a lot of call volume. But free to apply, so might as well let them tell you no. If I could predict every outcome this wouldn't be as exciting to me. That I'd have probably predicted the lottery at least a couple dozen times and off off in the Caribbean well toasted, inside and out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    If that's all the apparatus you have then probably won't get past the computer. After all, that's still a 90 or 91. It checks average fleet age not just age of vehicle in those calculations, so even though there are some advantages with the paid contingent if you only have 3 trucks doesn't sound like a lot of call volume. But free to apply, so might as well let them tell you no. If I could predict every outcome this wouldn't be as exciting to me. That I'd have probably predicted the lottery at least a couple dozen times and off off in the Caribbean well toasted, inside and out.
    Well thanks for your input. We also have a brush truck and a pick up. As for the call volume we run more then enough calls. I was just wondering before we start the process. We'll probablly end up attempting for new airpacks (hopefully).

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Well, more than enough on call volume is relative, that's why real assessments are important. For example, I could say my department runs more than enough. We're combination, paid only weekdays 6a-6p, handling 4500+ EMS transports and 1500+ fire last year. 126,000+ residents and counting in 25 sq miles. I know fully career departments running 400 total calls with EMS first response as 80+%. Words have perspective, that's why the first check is by the computer to weed out the most competitive so Peer only gets those that meet the statistics. Also why nearly every Peer Reviewer never looks at anything but the narrative. If it makes it to Peer it has to be statistically competitive so with 5-10 minutes to read and score why waste time checking what the computer already did.

And you can put in both equipment and vehicle this year, so why not give it a shot? Free to apply.
    Last edited by BC79er; 04-15-2007 at 01:45 PM.

Thread Information