Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Chicago Firefighter

I live in Indiana and am currently in EMT schooling. I talked to some Chicago fireman and they told me that the easiest way to get in instead of waiting on the mile long waiting list is to be a paramedic, get your fire certifications while doing that, and being a paramedic crossover...Does anyone else have any opinions?

MembersZone Subscriber Paddiegrunt's Avatar

It helps, most smaller Departments would rather hire a Paramedic than have to sent a Firefighter to paramedic class due to the cost. Larger Department may go eather way.
    Slop sink, Flags and pump 150
    Getting there is half the fun

Forum Member

I want to be a Chicago Firefighter and am going to get my paramedic & crossover.

I am so tired of hearing that. Get your medic so you can get hired. Nothing against you but I am just so tired of hearing it.

Forum Member

From everything I've heard, medic crossovers aren't that great. Basically, they are frowned upon because unlike the thousands of other applicants competing for that position, you didn't earn it. You got a medic cert, and just jumped the whole lot of people who tested, and took the job. If you don't want to be a medic, test like everyone else. If you want on a department that runs medic engines or the like, then go ahead and get your medic. But don't go out and get your medic, just so you can jump ahead of everyone else on a test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jerry4184 View Post
    From everything I've heard, medic crossovers aren't that great. Basically, they are frowned upon because unlike the thousands of other applicants competing for that position, you didn't earn it. You got a medic cert, and just jumped the whole lot of people who tested, and took the job. If you don't want to be a medic, test like everyone else. If you want on a department that runs medic engines or the like, then go ahead and get your medic. But don't go out and get your medic, just so you can jump ahead of everyone else on a test.
    Yeah, I understand.

I've always wanted to be a firefighter, but the more I learn about being a medic the more I am intrigued by it. I want to get my medic and then figure out what I want to do. I'm not totally sure.. I do know when I go through medic school I'm going to try to become the best medic I can be, I'm not going to do it just to crossover.. Down the road I may crossover - I don't know yet but I am getting my medic either way.

Is that wrong?

Forum Member

If you want to be a medic, and that interests you, go for it. Just don't use your medic cert in the future to try to just jump into the fire service, and expect a warm welcome from all people. Even as a medic, you can take the test like everyone else, and show everyone you earned the job. you may get some preference points somewhere for being a medic already, but this way you went through the process, and earned your place based on your aptitude, and ability to pass all the tests, and nott he fact you worked for two years in an ambulance, and have proven no fire related skills at all.

Forum Member

If you want to be a medic, and that interests you, go for it. Just don't use your medic cert in the future to try to just jump into the fire service, and expect a warm welcome from all people. Even as a medic, you can take the test like everyone else, and show everyone you earned the job. you may get some preference points somewhere for being a medic already, but this way you went through the process, and earned your place based on your aptitude, and ability to pass all the tests, and nott he fact you worked for two years in an ambulance, and have proven no fire related skills at all.
    Gives me something to think about.

Thanks for the advice.

Forum Member

To even think about crossing over you need to get hired as a medic and pass the academy. Then have about 5 years on roughly and be on that current Fire side hiring list. This info has come from many people that are on CFD. Good luck and study hard.

MembersZone Subscriber

I say if being a medic helps you get a fire Job than do what you need to do. If people say dont do it b/c you jump other people in line. O Well you deserve it you have more schooling than the others so why shouldnt you get to jump in front of people who are not paramedics. Just my two cents and i am a firefighter in St. Louis county and some departments wont hire you unless you are a medic and others you have a advantage over others.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info.

I'm only 18, but graduating HS in a week & want to get on the CFD some day. I will be taking EMT & Fire Science classes after summer at my local community college and am still not sure of the career path to take. Any suggestions? Also, is there a required age limit to be a CFD? And what ages do they typically hire?

Would getting my paramedic and testing like everyone else give me any advantages when trying to get hired for CFD?

Forum Member

you might want to check with some of the guys on here from Chicago, there are a few.

MembersZone Subscriber

The one problem that you might have with CFD is that they just recently tested.(last winter I think) If I'm not mistaken, they last tested before that in 1996. So if they wait 10 years again, it could be awhile. Being a Medic might be what you need.

Like Jerry said though, try to find someone on this forum that works for CFD. They will know a lot more than us. Good luck though.

Forum Member

So based on your logic, why be in shape? Why get a college degree? Why get your FF1 or FF2? Why be a vollie first? Why use a connection you may have to get you started in the process? Etc. Etc.

Sorry for the negativity, but the fact is that the hiring process is based on what you have to offer over others. You may not have ALL of these things over everyone, but you have to look at what sets you apart from others. Yeah, you may have some more work to do to prove yourself on the fireground or other areas, but if you have your medic cert, then you have one thing that may set you apart from other candidates. Also as mentioned, some departments now require it, so if you can do it now you're one step ahead.
    Just my .02

Forum Member

I never said don't get a medic, I said don't simply get a medic, because you want to be a firefighter. If you don't want to be a paramedic, it doesn't help you or your patient's to get hired somewhere, as a fire/medic, because you'll more than likely be spending more than half your time, as a paramedic.

If he wants simply to be a firefighter for the city of chicago, he should simply test like everyone else, and not count on a paramedic crossover down the road. NOTE, I said test like everyone else. He's saying he'd do a medic crossover, where he doesn't test and get placed on the hiring list, he laterally transfers and is magically a firefighter.

Being in shape, and getting FF1 and FF2 are great. I highly reccomend those as well. The entire point of my post however, wasn't don't seek training. It was don't seek training if it's for a job you don't want, and don't count on just getting a medic cert, and magically being accepted in the firehouse, with a bunch of guys who had to test and wait for the job, versus your lateral career transfer.

It's great to set goals and have a "dream" department you would love to work for. Just don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Forum Member

'burbs pay more, just get on with them.

Quote Originally Posted by CFD5Alarm View Post
    'burbs pay more, just get on with them.
    All the fun is in the city.

Forum Member

I never said don't get a medic, I said don't simply get a medic, because you want to be a firefighter. If you don't want to be a paramedic, it doesn't help you or your patient's to get hired somewhere, as a fire/medic, because you'll more than likely be spending more than half your time, as a paramedic.

If he wants simply to be a firefighter for the city of chicago, he should simply test like everyone else, and not count on a paramedic crossover down the road. NOTE, I said test like everyone else. He's saying he'd do a medic crossover, where he doesn't test and get placed on the hiring list, he laterally transfers and is magically a firefighter.

Being in shape, and getting FF1 and FF2 are great. I highly reccomend those as well. The entire point of my post however, wasn't don't seek training. It was don't seek training if it's for a job you don't want, and don't count on just getting a medic cert, and magically being accepted in the firehouse, with a bunch of guys who had to test and wait for the job, versus your lateral career transfer.

The thing is that I want to be a paramedic at the same time and want to be on the CFD. I do have to agree that if getting my medic cert helps me jump in line then so be it...It does mean more education

Forum Member

Do you want to be a medic, or a firefighter? As far as I know, the city of Chicago doesn't let you be both. If you want to be a medic, be a medic. If you want to be a firefighter, be a firefighter. Don't be a medic simply so you can cut in line when it comes time to hire firefighters, that don't do medic work.

Thread Information