MembersZone Subscriber

Default Firefighter discounts

Greetings, I would like to let everyone know that I have created a free website that will list discounts and deals that are offered to firefighters/police and EMS workers/volunteers. I tried to find a website like this and I found there were none. Right now there isn't much information on it, but I would like to change that with your help. I am looking for companies local and national that offer discounts. The only way to make this site better and help everyone out is to please check out the site www.EmergencyDiscounts.com and submit any places that you know of that offers discounts.

Thank you,
    David

Forum Member

Thumbs down Ethics?

As a professional, Is it ethical to accept a discount? Is it ehtical to request a discount? Could a discount be seen as a bribe? Is a discount the reason you wear the badge, if it is you are in the wrong place.

Forum Member

Around here, they charge us double so they don't lose money when the police eat for free.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Around here, they charge us double so they don't lose money when the police eat for free.
    Good one! I'll have to remember that one.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjohn23 View Post
    As a professional, Is it ethical to accept a discount?
    If it is offered as a courtesy with no strings attached, I don't have a problem.

Hypothetical question: You are in the market to replace your family's vehicle with a newer model. One of the local dealerships is offering an additional $500 discount for fire, police, EMS and military personnel on the purchase of a new car... do you tell the salesman that you want to pay the additional $500 for ethical reasons or do accept the $500 discount a lower your payments a little?

Is it ehtical to request a discount?
    While we kid each other and say "give a Jake a break" or "if it's free, it's for me" amongst ourselves, it is not ethical to request a discount.

Could a discount be seen as a bribe?
    Give the brothers and sisters little credit... When someone all of a sudden offers you huge discounts and "free stuff" when the day before they wouldn't give you the time of day, the alarm bells in your head should be ringing!

Is a discount the reason you wear the badge, if it is you are in the wrong place.
    Yeah.. I know of a lot of people who wear the uniform who continue to put themselves in harm's way for perfect strangers in order to save a buck or two on a large pizza
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DTLarson View Post
    Greetings, I would like to let everyone know that I have created a free website that will list discounts and deals that are offered to firefighters/police and EMS workers/volunteers. I tried to find a website like this and I found there were none. Right now there isn't much information on it, but I would like to change that with your help. I am looking for companies local and national that offer discounts. The only way to make this site better and help everyone out is to please check out the site www.EmergencyDiscounts.com and submit any places that you know of that offers discounts.

Thank you,
    David
    not really sure how well that will work out...Even here it seems to vary from restaurant to restaurant ..A jerrys subs and pizza in our first due will give us the discount, yet one in another companies first due wont...It really depends on the owner...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by somebody509 View Post
    not really sure how well that will work out...Even here it seems to vary from restaurant to restaurant ..A jerrys subs and pizza in our first due will give us the discount, yet one in another companies first due wont...It really depends on the owner...
    I had thought of that and that is why before I put anything on the page I will talk to the owner or manager of the business to see who the discount would apply to and if they would like to be listed. If it applied only to a certain company or department, it won't get listed because it is very limited. Also if they don't want to be listed I won't list them.
    A business owner or manager may offer discount to firefighters and EMT's to get business in, if you like what they offer, maybe you will tell a friend and increase their customer base. Another possibility is that they still have a profit margin with the discount and are able to directly increase their customer base. There are a variety of marketing reasons for businesses to offer discounts to select groups.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DTLarson View Post
    I had thought of that and that is why before I put anything on the page I will talk to the owner or manager of the business to see who the discount would apply to and if they would like to be listed. If it applied only to a certain company or department, it won't get listed because it is very limited. Also if they don't want to be listed I won't list them.
    A business owner or manager may offer discount to firefighters and EMT's to get business in, if you like what they offer, maybe you will tell a friend and increase their customer base. Another possibility is that they still have a profit margin with the discount and are able to directly increase their customer base. There are a variety of marketing reasons for businesses to offer discounts to select groups.
    You start asking owners if they will always give a discount, is a great way to ensure that they do not give discounts. Nice idea and all, but I think it can backfire on you. I do not ask for a discount, and to be honest, if they have a tip jar I will tip the difference between the normal price and what they charged me.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    I do not ask for a discount, and to be honest, if they have a tip jar I will tip the difference between the normal price and what they charged me.
    Same here. Pass the couple of bucks you would have spent anyway onto the chic waiting your table for $2.13 an hour. Assuming of coarse she is cute.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    If it is offered as a courtesy with no strings attached, I don't have a problem.
    That is the way I was taught many years ago. These days the kids on the job have got the balls not only to ask but demand a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    While we kid each other and say "give a Jake a break" or "if it's free, it's for me" amongst ourselves, it is not ethical to request a discount..
    Not when you are standing in line waiting to order and loud egnough for the public and store employees to hear.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kjohn23 View Post
    That is the way I was taught many years ago. These days the kids on the job have got the balls not only to ask but demand a discount.

Not when you are standing in line waiting to order and loud egnough for the public and store employees to hear.
    Something tells me Gonzo is smart enough not to say something like that in public
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

But who wouldn't want to know about the first responder discount on glock firearms I mean does that not just make you feel that much better about being a firefighter.

MembersZone Subscriber

I see no problem with getting a discount. It's not like firefighters go around sayin that they wont bring any water to a fire at this store unless they get things for free. Or EMS refusing to do CPR on a guy because they didnt get a discount on a whopper. If someone is doing that then they can go defibrillate their genitals for all I care.

A discount is a way that businesses say thanks and should be viewed as such. It should not be taken advantage of, asked for, waved around in other people's faces or otherwise abused in anyway. I see no problem with this site that tells people where the discounts are. It is free advertising for the company and that means more potential customers.

MembersZone Subscriber

It has to have limits. We had a save on a choking baby that belonged to the owners of a restaurant just in front of the station, and they insisted on bringing by some free food on a training night. Do you tell them no? Personally, I was involved in the incident (two of us were in the station when dad in a panic comes pounding on the door) - and the biggest treat for me was just holding the little girl a week after the scare.

Our fuel supplier gives us free sodas or coffee when we fill the rig up. We always ask to pay, but they refuse it. Is this wrong?

The toll-booth operators here once in a while will see a uniform shirt, and refuse to take your money. Is this wrong?

Demanding a discount is wrong, even asking for one is. I have to say though, I'm not going to force someone to take my money if they don't want to.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

I can understand the good intent for the website but I still think its insulting. Never ever go in somewhere expecting to get a discount and you sure as hell dont ask for it.

During fire academy, we used to go to a place almost daily that would give us discounts. One day, I ordered and I gave the manager exact change. He was like "Exact change, huh "

And from then on, we never got discounts.....

that and another guy was buying food for his girlfriends

and once we ran a call as this good place to eat. The owner was choking and we were told we come by for lunch and get a discount. Few shifts later we stop buy.... and get shafted. But, that goes back to dont expect it, no matter how badass you are.

Forum Member

I think this website is a great idea. He was not asking for discounts. There is many discounts for ems/firefighter/military that no one knows about. If they are being offered, why not?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    Something tells me Gonzo is smart enough not to say something like that in public
    Not refering to Gonzo, after all he is Da Chief and has many years on da job.
    I do not expect a discount or ask for one and am insulted if another firefighter ask for one in front of me.

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess I wouldn't ask but if they offered I would take it.

Nothing listed for Wisconsin anyway so I guess I won't worry about it.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

I will NEVER, EVER ask for a discount on anything!
    I don't have a problem with fire dept personnel receiving discounts, so long as they do not ask for them, and they don't abuse them.

Personally, I don't expect a discount, nor do I require one.

That being said, I will not usually refuse one should it be offered, so long as it is while I'm on duty and it is done in such a way as to not be obvious to the general public. If I have on a dept hat or tee shirt while off duty (which is quite often) and I'm offered a discount, I will politely say "No thank you, I'm not on duty". If the proprietor insists, I'll accept rather than insult them, but I don't really feel comfortable about doing it.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

I got my eyes done before I saw this, but here in WI they had big disounts for Lasik surgery at one time fore fire, police, and ems.

MembersZone Subscriber

i will only take a discount if the person will get offended if i don't! after all they want to say thank you in a personal way, sometimes they won't take no for an answer. But i always make sure to leave a big tip

MembersZone Subscriber

I also beleive we shouldn't ask for discounts but if there given I don't think its wrong to take it. But You should like said many times above ask or expect it. My crew and I were at a fast food joint once and we had been getting a discount. This one morning they gave us a total and I had told my LT. that I told him sometimes we don't get it. His response was he was gonna ask. In stereo we said don't ask! and he didn't understand. So we explained it to him. And I thought all firefighters knew this.

MembersZone Subscriber

HUD's "Good Neighbor Next Door" program:

http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/r...n/gnndabot.cfm

Now I'm not much for asking/expecting/looking for discounts at restaurants or stores, but when it comes to buying a home everyone should take a look at this discount.
    -------;- "Aaaaa!!"
    Remember - always wear your helmet around one-eyed women with pike poles

Forum Member

Now I'm not much for asking/expecting/looking for discounts at restaurants or stores, but when it comes to buying a home everyone should take a look at this discount.
    http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/r...n/particip.cfm
    Let the wailing commence!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    I will NEVER, EVER ask for a discount on anything!
    I don't have a problem with fire dept personnel receiving discounts, so long as they do not ask for them, and they don't abuse them.

Personally, I don't expect a discount, nor do I require one.

That being said, I will not usually refuse one should it be offered, so long as it is while I'm on duty and it is done in such a way as to not be obvious to the general public. If I have on a dept hat or tee shirt while off duty (which is quite often) and I'm offered a discount, I will politely say "No thank you, I'm not on duty". If the proprietor insists, I'll accept rather than insult them, but I don't really feel comfortable about doing it.

Kevin
    I'm the same way.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Thread Information