Forum Member

Smack dab in the middle of Central Illinois

Default Refurbish Vehicle Question and Worry about Computer Scoring

Okay, I am applying to refurbish a vehicle. I am in the process of filling out the application and I have gotten to the Request Details section where it is asking Details about what I am proposing to do. I am getting nervous now filling out the boxes because NOWHERE is it asking if I am refurbishing a vehicle.

I guess I have a few questions....on box 1) should I put that I am purchasing a pumper or should I put other and explain we are refurbishing a pumper

on box 3) do I put if we are proposing to buy a new or refurbished pumper? We are not actually buying anything.

on box 9 we are not replacing anything...just bringing it up to current standards (complete with enclosed cab)

....and....

Box 12) asks if we are replacing something with an open cab (yes) and box 13 asks if they are going to be permanently removed from service (well, yes and no because it won't have an open cab anymore, but we are still going to use it).

I know I should call the help desk, but a lot of times I get better advice here.

I just don't want to kicked out of computer scoring because they are asking new when we are asking for money to refurb.

Am I even making sense?

Forum Member

Out of all the exptertise and experience here...no one can provide any advice?

MembersZone Subscriber

I am clutching here. By no means an expert, but how deep is your refurb
    going? Is it actually going to qualify as a vehicle grant, or would it still be equipment? As an example, we were told that if we were adding CAFS as a built in option on our engine, what some may consider a refurb, that it would fall under the equipment side, but if we were doing drive train refurb, etc, then it would be vehicle.

Forum Member

I checked with FEMA before I started my app and was told that all refurbs are to go under the vehicle category.

MembersZone Subscriber

Define Refurb....

Forum Member

We are proposing to do the following: Replace our canopy cab with a four door cab, replace steel water tank with poly tank; add pass side high side compartments; add ladder rack, replace warning lights with LED, Relocate sirens and horn; repaint the truck; and make it compliant with NFPA 1912.

Forum Member

From what some of the other guys have told me in different threads is that as long as you're not retitling it or providing a new chassis (basicly you're keeping all the original running gear) then it falls under operations, but if you're retitling it or you're requesting a new chassis or engine swap or something then it falls under vehicle. I would call your FPS to clarify that rather than calling the help desk. Also make sure that you're truck isn't over 25 years old otherwise it doesn't follow NFPA 1912 (I'm sure you're already aware of that one though since you quoted it).

Forum Member

Our truck just falls short of the 25 year limit.

Forum Member

Smile

While I understand that refurbing makes sense in some cases ,I think it would be hard to justify spending very much money [ lets say over 20,000 dollars for the sake of this discussion] to refurbish a near 25 year old piece of apparatus. The cost benefit of spending more than the value of that truck in order to get maybe 5-7 more years life out of it comes to mind. We looked into a refurb. for a 1982 pumper 2 years ago and found that we would have to spend over 50 K to make the truck serviceable for 5-10 years at best. The problem comes into play when your chassis reaches that age where parts for brakes , suspension and drive-train become made of the rare material" unobtainium". So to spend a huge amount and find out in two years that the rear axle needs to be rebuilt and parts are not available becomes a hugh waste of our precious limited budget dollars.
    If your chassis is in excellent shape and mechanical condition then maybe installing a new poly tank and a cab enclosure might be a viable solution, at a reasonable cost benefit ratio. But you will still have a very old fire truck when your finished.
    Just my thoughts after going through the process 2 years ago, we decided to save up and spend the money on new with a warrantee.

Thread Information