Default When should I start training

I have two passions in life. Aviation and ems/rescue work (thanks Civil Air Patrol). While I plan on making a career out of flying, volunteer firefighting is something I want to do on the side. The only problem is I donít know when to start training. I donít think I can wait long because when I begin my flying career, with such a random schedule of days on and off that change monthly, I wonít be able to attend classes to get my state certifications. If I go to an academy now, there is a good chance I wonít be able to get on with a department after I graduate due to the fact that I am a full-time undergraduate student also in flight training with little time available and there might not be a vollie department where I end up going to school (Iím in the middle of transferring universities and still donít know where Iíll end up). Iím worried about not getting on with a department quick and gaining the experience Iíll need to retain my knowledge. As you can see Iím a newbie and still donít completely grasp all of the routes I can take for my training so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

I am kind of in your same shoes... But not as bad. I am currently 18yrs old and still in high school. I am also in EMT classes that are held every monday and wednesday nights from 6-10. And on top of that I am a vol. firefighter. We have a business meeting the first tuesday of every month... And then the next two tuesdays we have training nights. I am doing my state training and we are doing that on Saturdays from 8-1. So i'd say just find out what days that the station has everything going on and you might be able to work it out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zwibby View Post
    I have two passions in life. Aviation and ems/rescue work (thanks Civil Air Patrol). While I plan on making a career out of flying, volunteer firefighting is something I want to do on the side. The only problem is I donít know when to start training. I donít think I can wait long because when I begin my flying career, with such a random schedule of days on and off that change monthly, I wonít be able to attend classes to get my state certifications. If I go to an academy now, there is a good chance I wonít be able to get on with a department after I graduate due to the fact that I am a full-time undergraduate student also in flight training with little time available and there might not be a vollie department where I end up going to school (Iím in the middle of transferring universities and still donít know where Iíll end up). Iím worried about not getting on with a department quick and gaining the experience Iíll need to retain my knowledge. As you can see Iím a newbie and still donít completely grasp all of the routes I can take for my training so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    There is online training done?? Although I think its a little expensive. But could be an option if you really want it
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Default go for it

I had a tought schedule when i started my fire classes as well, but i kept at it and now i wonder where the time went i just finished my last class on saturday, and i had the same doughts that you have but i kept pushing and pushing it and soon enough they ended and im glad they are and ill pick up college and continue on

Forum Member

I sit on the comittee that interviews new recruits and I must go ahead and give you the statement my chief tells all the people who want to become volunteers in my dept. "Your first priority is your family, the second is your career or getting your education, the volunteer fire dept should be a very distant third." I honestly believe this statement and would stongly encourage you to think about it. I know you want very badly to become a vol firefighter, but the fire service isnt going away anytime soon and we can wait untill you are 100% ready & comitted.

Forum Member

Without knowing what state you are in, giving an answer would not necessarily help. Different states do things differently. Here in NYS it is done thru an outreach program, but you have to be a member of a FD 1st. Then it will take about 3 months 2 nights a week and several saturdays to get what we call FF1. Sometimes getting into a class is more difficult than the class itself, as they fill up fast in my area. Find out what will be required of you in the FD and make a dicession from there.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think you should wait until you're done with your schooling before joining or what not. It sounds like you don't have that much time right now to devote anyways. And last for right now wait until you join to take your training your dept you get on should pay for it.

Thread Information