Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Default New Tanks For Canada, Bout Time.

Well it looks like we are finally getting that new fleet of Tanks. This is looooong overdue.

http://www.dnd.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=2252

I am not sure if I like the old "reconditioned" thing again (after our little Submarine debacle), but I understand the need for a rapid delivery. After the upgrades, these will at least get us back on the world-class level for a main battle tank, and give the boys in Afghanistan some much needed advanced direct fire capability.

I was never very impressed with the idea of using the Stryker as a main armored platform. Seemed to be another cheap way out of an invariably expensive need. I'm sure there is a place for it in our "lighter" peacekeeping roles, and domestic fleet, but it was never a suitable substitute for a main battle tank.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/cd...equipment.html

Now if we can just get those Destroyers and Supply Ships replaced...
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

YA! NO kidding. Maybe someday this will all work out... maybe. And I agree with you on the "rebuilt/referbished thing too. Not too sure about that part. But I guess if it works?????
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

I was watching the Military Channel the other night when they ran "GI Factory".It mentioned that the M1 Abrams is currently the thickest armor platform and when they come in for rebuilds,all they really do to the hull is clean and repaint it while the turret and engine are modified and brought up to date.
    Whatever Navy, Marine Corps,Air Force or Army a government fields,they should give their troops the best there is.
    Unless they are fighting me.Then I want dumb troops and crappy equipment on their side.
    Since I am not fighting in any Army or Navy right now,I don't see that happening.

I watched a program on Mail Call that was just like what your talking about Doug. The Gunny was at the refurb factory and was talking about how they dont make any new Abrams.... because you cant destroy one. They just refurb them.

Had pictures of mines and crap going off right next to or under the tank and nothing...

reminds me of the old Tiger Tanks that the Germans had. I read an account where one King Tiger tank was hit like 128 times by different Sherman tanks and the thing just had a few paint scratches. What a beast

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    reminds me of the old Tiger Tanks that the Germans had. I read an account where one King Tiger tank was hit like 128 times by different Sherman tanks and the thing just had a few paint scratches. What a beast
    An Iraqi Commander in the First Gulf War said that they fired and fired at the M1s...but they just lept coming.
    IACOJ Member

I like the footage of some friggin scumbag terrorist in Iraq pulls up along an Abrams in his car bomb. Presses the button, he goes poof (no loss to society) and the Abrams just sort of rocked to the side a bid.

You know the tank commander said "we just get hit by a mosquito?"

Strykers are fast because they are light and lack armor. Bad combination when it comes to mines.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

That might be the show.I don't have time to watch my favorite shows so when they all come on at once,I'm hitting that clicker faster than Rosie O'Donnell changes her mind.
    Unfortunately,someone someday will come up with a weapon to pierce the hull.Weapons technology is like that.You get something that works like a charm and the other side sets their minds to figure a counter for it.
    Sharkie,I've heard a similar story from a friend who had been in tanks and rejoined back in 2003.He was the only one with experience from when the M1 first came out in his crew.He was conducting the Army's version of personal counseling"Prive,you do that again and I'll......"explaining why you have to watch where you're going when driving those bad boys and a IED went off next to the hull,which as described just rocked it fore and aft.The driver asked"What the F was THAT?". My buddy just said,"Mercedes."

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    I watched a program on Mail Call that was just like what your talking about Doug. The Gunny was at the refurb factory and was talking about how they dont make any new Abrams.... because you cant destroy one. They just refurb them.

Had pictures of mines and crap going off right next to or under the tank and nothing...

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Not really trying to post holes in the bubble because I like the Abrams too, but I suspect that any a/c like the A-10 would make the top armour of any vehicle look like swiss cheese on a really bad day. Absolutely though, the side and under armour are truly a thing to be reckoned with.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information