Thread: This is Great!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default This is Great!

PHP Code:
    Ammo Explodes as Florida Firefighters Battle Blaze

Story by local6
    .com

A massive fire that engulfed an Orange County home with a garage filled with ammunition Tuesday night was accidentally sparked by the homeowner

Homeowner Fred Schloetzer said he accidentally started the blaze inside his home located on Almark Drive near South Orange Blossom Trail Tuesday night when a spark from his welding iron landed on a gas can.

"
    I reached over to get the gas can a couple of times and the radiant heat was so great the second timeI just ran," homeowner Fred Schloetzer said. 

Witnesses said when firefighters arrived, flames were covering the house. 

Firefighters said the blaze was extinguished at Scholetzer's home in minutes even after bullets stored in the garage exploded. 

"
    The booms were like a war zone," resident Zach Meyers said. 

Schloetzer told Local 6's Erik von Ancken that he questions whether firefighters did enough to save his home. 

"
    There was too much looking at each other and??(shrugs)," Schloetzer said. 

"
    I'll speak for my guy and there was no delay," Orange County Fire Battallion Chief Reggie Price said. "We come into all of these calls in an offensive mind meaning we are going to go in, knock down the fire, put it out and save anybody inside." 

Price said the ammunition changed the strategy of fighting the fire. 

"When we had that amount of fire and the ammunition going off, we changed into defensive mode," Price said. "That meant we had to back up a little bit and reposition our lines." 

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms is investigating the incident. 

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story. 
    So, to recap...

Homeowner is welding in close proximity to a gasoline can and causes a fire in his garage. Fire is accelerated, so it involves the building very quickly. The fire also extends to a large amount of ammunition and stuff (I am assuming he is a reloader from the tone of the article), which causes the IC to switch to a defensive operation. (NOTE: We must assume here that the guy was welding in close proximity to the ammo as well). THEN the guy has the testicles to condemn the fire department's operation? Yeah, OK.

Forum Member

What an @ss!

Forum Member

Candidate for Darwin Award?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefy View Post
    Not even. To be a candidate you have to be successful. This clown is just a Darwin Award wannabe.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    Ammo Explodes as Florida Firefighters Battle Blaze

Story by local6.com

A massive fire that engulfed an Orange County home with a garage filled with ammunition Tuesday night was accidentally sparked by the homeowner.

Homeowner Fred Schloetzer said he accidentally started the blaze inside his home located on Almark Drive near South Orange Blossom Trail Tuesday night when a spark from his welding iron landed on a gas can."

"I reached over to get the gas can a couple of times and the radiant heat was so great the second time, I just ran," homeowner Fred Schloetzer said.

Witnesses said when firefighters arrived, flames were covering the house.

Firefighters said the blaze was extinguished at Scholetzer's home in minutes even after bullets stored in the garage exploded.

"The booms were like a war zone," resident Zach Meyers said.

Schloetzer told Local 6's Erik von Ancken that he questions whether firefighters did enough to save his home.

"There was too much looking at each other and??(shrugs)," Schloetzer said.

"I'll speak for my guy and there was no delay," Orange County Fire Battallion Chief Reggie Price said. "We come into all of these calls in an offensive mind meaning we are going to go in, knock down the fire, put it out and save anybody inside."

Price said the ammunition changed the strategy of fighting the fire.

"When we had that amount of fire and the ammunition going off, we changed into defensive mode," Price said. "That meant we had to back up a little bit and reposition our lines."

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms is investigating the incident.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.
    Just re-quoted the article without the PHP tags so it is readable.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

No,his genes are still in the pool,aren't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefy View Post

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

I guess I would have been more surprised if he hadn't blamed the fire department.

No one is responsible for their own actions. Everything is somebody else's fault.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Some Guy

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    Not even. To be a candidate you have to be successful. This clown is just a Darwin Award wannabe.

Since he lived I thought he would be an honorable mention?
    This space for rent

Forum Member

More than likely it was because he was scared of what his wife would say.
    "Honestly honey, it was just a small fire, I called the fire dept. and those guys showed up, heard a couple bangs and then they stopped putting water on the fire and they just screwed things up even worse It wasn't my fault".

Forum Member

didn't someone say that ammo in a fire won't go off (or will, just as a projectile) since you don't have the action of the hammer (probably the wrong word, I'm drawing a blank) striking the bullet making it, well, fire?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Mythbusters. Ammo goes bang, but the projectile did not go anywhere.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    didn't someone say that ammo in a fire won't go off (or will, just as a projectile) since you don't have the action of the hammer (probably the wrong word, I'm drawing a blank) striking the bullet making it, well, fire?
    Well, they will cook off, the heat will detonate the powder and they will fire. Now, without the rifle, they will not be aimed and will probably lose a lot of range.

After the my first fire, the guys said that they heard the ammunition in the closet going off. I was at another shed fire where a firefighter on a neighboring department got hit with one of the rounds. It went through his turnouts and left a small cut on his arm.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow this guy is spedcial. It takes all kinds I guess.
    "Lead Follow Or Get Out Of The Way"

Forum Member

Ammo will cook off.

We'll leave it up to you decide if it's in a box and thus harmless as a firecracker.

Or in a semi-automatic pistol or rifle that is reloading itself before the next round cooks and heads down the muzzle with significant energy

Usually if it starts to pop, we'll just make sure anyone who isn't actively engaged in operations are shuffled off behind trucks just to be extra cautious.

Forum Member

"Schloetzer told Local 6's Erik von Ancken that he questions whether firefighters did enough to save his home."

I wonder what he did to save his home...

Oh yeah:
    "I reached over to get the gas can a couple of times and the radiant heat was so great the second time, I JUST RAN," homeowner Fred Schloetzer said.

I guess that going into a fire with ammo popping around them wasn't enough for this "victim" to appreciate. Sorry he lost his house, maybe next time he won't have a gas can where he is welding inside his "ammo storage" garage.

Forum Member

I hope the home owner reads this thread.....

Homeowner: Cut off your balls so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world. You jack*****.

What an idiot.
    "You see things and you ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and I say, 'Why not'?

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire."

Forum Member

Oh wait, I guess he cannot read this thread because he burned his computer with the rest of his house.

"You see things and you ask, 'Why'? I dream of things that never were and I say, 'Why not'?

"I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place."

"When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire."

Thread Information