+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Rapper Firefighter?

Police Union Wants Rapping Firefighter Fired. Song Includes Anti-Police Lyrics

POSTED: 7:49 pm EDT April 17, 2007

PHILADELPHIA -- An aspiring rapper who also is a firefighter in Philadelphia is really feeling the heat these days.

Police union officials are calling for Rodney Jean-Jacques to be fired for anti-police lyrics in one of his songs. The rap song includes the line: "I hope the news is taping this, 'cause I'm gonna turn pigs into bacon bits."

The head of the Fraternal Order of Police in Philly said at first he thought the song was "a mistake of the head," but now he views it as "a mistake of the heart."

In an e-mail comment to the Philadelphia Daily News, Jean-Jacques said he wants to tell his side of the story, but he can't right now.

Jean-Jacques' music received positive notice in 2005, when he wrote and performed the fire safety song "Take It Outside." It was promoted by the fire department and was shown during the broadcast of a football game between the Eagles and the Dallas Cowboys.

Survey

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

So what? Theres no law that says saying stuff about cops in a rap song is illeagle. As long as he doesn't do it while on the job/in uniform it shouldn't affect his job. Just my opinion though.
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Absolutely disgusting....par for the course.

Todays 04/18/2007 Phila. Daily News Editorial

FIREFIGHTER ESCAPES THE RAP

Why is Fire Dept. so silent on Jean-Jacques?

Just what is taking the Phila. Fire Dept. so long to discipline Rodney Jean-Jacque, the rapping firefighter?

Apparenlty Jean-Jacque, aka "cal-Akbar", thinks he can have it both ways: Be a city firefighter with all the privileges and honor it brings. Then turn into the rapper "Cal Akbar", with lyrics that imply he is so tough, he'll shoot police officers ".....turn pigs into bacon bits," as he puts it.

We hate to believe Jean-Jacques really plans to unleash such a deadly fate on police officers, his comrades in arms who stare down death just a liitle more than firefighters do(I know, debatable).

But whether Jean-Jacques meant it or not, the Fire Dept. officials' silence on the matter is even more disturbing because they were not only aware of Jean-Jacques rap career, they used it to educate people on the dangers of smoking.

In 2005, the department issued an educational DVD and CD single called "Take it Outside". Rapping over beats, Jean-Jacques tells about the dangers of smoking indoors. The DVD features department personnel and equipment, and includes a "shout out" to Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers. Made with the departments blessing, the DVD's sponsors include respected corporations, agencies and athletes like Sunoco, Clear Channel, the Kal and Lucille Rudman Foundation, Bernard Hopkins, and the Mayor's Office of Community Service.

Now this same guy on a project they supported, is talking about killing cops. In fact, he now touts the recent controversy on his MySpace.com page, and he calls himself "Akbar - Public Enenmy #1."

Fraternal Order of Police officials want an apology from Jean-Jacques. And if they don't get that, they want him fired. This wasn't an innocent slip of the tongue. No, "if I did anyhting to offend anyone, I'm sorry" will suffice. Neither will a trip to rap rehab. This was deliberate, clearly tought-out rap from a man with a city job, in a city where 406 people, including one police officer, were killed last year. No apology can wipe out this despicable lyric. To us, a firefighters uniform stands for courage, honor and service. Jean-Jacques doesn't deserve to wear a firefighter's uniform. He should be let go to enjoy a thug life.

Why doesn't the Fire Department see this as clearly?

This is the same sh*t in a different package...bigots and criminals like Sharption and Barron who both called for the shooting of cops yet get a pass and aren't held to task for their comments but actually think they have some right to question Don Imus when he opens his mouth.

This dirt bag is a perfect example of what is wrong with this country today and were we are headed if this kind of anti-social and criminal behavior is condoned and allowed to flourish.

Calling for the killing of cops should be viewed as nothing less than unacceptable.

MembersZone Subscriber

Fred, you're way off. I Googled this guy's lyrics and nowhere NOWHERE did he use the word "Ho". And he's talking baout cops, after all. It's not like he talked about baseketball players or anything. So back off.

MembersZone Subscriber

Seriously, how would you guys deal with him in the firehouse?

Forum Member

You really think he should lose his job for saying "Turn pigs into bacon bits?"
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytallica45 View Post
    You really think he should lose his job for saying "Turn pigs into bacon bits?"

You really don't think a fire fighter should be held to a higher standard of behavior than a street thug or a gang-banger?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    You really don't think a fire fighter should be held to a higher standard of behavior than a street thug or a gang-banger?
    I agree that it was really stupid of him to say said what he said, however, I dont think lyrics of a song are grounds for losing a job, remember freedom of speech? He should lose his job for any actions he takes which break the law, but not words.
    Last edited by Slaytallica45; 04-18-2007 at 02:57 PM.
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

I agree that it was really stupid of him to say said what he said, however, I dont think lyrics of a song are grounds for losing a job, remember freedom of speech? He should lose his job for any actions he takes which break the law, but not words.

I guess Rodney Jean-Jacque has to make a choice... pull the CD off the shelves and be a firefighter, or turn into the rapper "Cal Akbar" full time, where he can spout his "rap crap"

Put the shoe on the other foot.. what if Cal Akbar was a rapping cop calling for people to burn the town down and turn firefighters into "crispy critters"?

You would calling for his head on a platter.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

That's not what I asked you. And so-called freedom of speech does not extend to inflammatory and hate speech, as we found out last week.

Forum Member

That's not what I asked you. And so-called freedom of speech does not extend to inflammatory and hate speech, as we found out last week.

Ok, then fire is @$$ then, just offering my opinion.
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    I guess Rodney Jean-Jacque has to make a choice... pull the CD off the shelves and be a firefighter, or turn into the rapper "Cal Akbar" full time, where he can spout his "rap crap"

Put the shoe on the other foot.. what if Cal Akbar was a rapping cop calling for people to burn the town down and turn firefighters into "crispy critters"?

You would calling for his head on a platter.
    These people crack me up sometime. Crybabies were out in force because the WT put a story about the worst mass murder on US soil ever over a story involving the death of a fire fighter, citing some profound "disrespect", yet see nothing wrong with a fire fighter advocating killing a police officer. Incredible.

MembersZone Subscriber

If this was one of my firefighters, he'd be gone, plain and simple. Personally, I do think it's appropriate he loose his job. Once his status as a firefighter came into play, it drew the image of the FD into question. At that point, it becomes a negative image for the department, and in my mind a negative image cannot be tolerated.

Forum Member

I don't blame the FD for taking advantage of the talents of one of it's members in order to get its fire safety material out to more people. I do blame the FD for not disciplining him for advocating violence against other city employee's. Its obviously time for this guy to move on to "bigger and better things."
    Last edited by jlcooke3; 04-18-2007 at 03:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member

Voltaire said it best: "I don't have to agree with what you say but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." As long as he isn't saying it while on FD property, in FD uniform, or otherwise representing the FD, he can pretty much say what he wants. I might not have to agree with it (and I don't) but that doesn't mean that his right to say it should be taken away.
    I'm assuming you are referring to what happened to Imus, correct? apple and oranges. Imus was fired because CBS and MSNBC had sponsors pulling out of supporting their shows. They bowed to pressure from the outside in response to his comments that were made while he was on the job and acting as an employee of the respective stations. No one ever prevented his right of free speech, he was terminated because of $$$$$, since the sponsors started pulling out.

In this situation, a person, who happens to work as a firefighter, made a rap song advocating commonly accepted rap crap. he was never representing the department, nor acting as a firefighter. if he gets fired, I can guarantee a huge lawsuit for violating his constitutionally protected rights to free speech. and that is one he will win easily.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

If he stood up in front of the media and told the community to take up arms and shoot the police, he would be thrown in jail for inciting violence.

Since he (and many others) does it for "entertainment" purposes, he gets a pass.

It is a real double standard. Personally, with what I know about the US laws, I'm sure he has the right to say it. That doesn't mean it is right.

I haven't seen or heard the actual lyrics in context yet, so I won't crucify him here, but I would not want to share a firehouse with a guy who's integrity is so poor as to make a cheap buck off of the back of my brothers.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

In an artistic sense, he is exercising his freedom of speech. But, I'll say it again. Being a fire fighter is a privelege. You are expected to adhere to a higher standard of conduct. No one is objecting to the art form. They are objecting to the inciteful language he is directing at other emergency response personnel. There is no way to excuse it as "art" or free speech.

the 4-1-4

Seriously, how would you guys deal with him in the firehouse?
    Seriously? I can predict that he would be hands off, by everyone. The IABPFF would be there to lend a hand to any 'percieved' racism, and if there wasn't any that actually occured, they would invent something.
    I know in my engine house he would become a non-person. No one would talk to him, no one would acknowledge his presence. If he were to walk into a room, everyone else would leave.
    Lunch and dinner would be served, minus one setting; in fact, his meal money would be left on the table.

I've seen it done.

Forum Member

I never said it was right for him to be saying it.

All I said was that he shouldn't be fired for it.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

btw, this higher standard of care for firefighters (and lets assume police officers too) where does the line get drawn? should both get fired for 1) calling other members of ES stupid 2) telling others that they aren't doing the job right or the more generic 3) cheating on a spouse 4) cheating on income taxes 5) speeding in their POV?

or anything else that violates the "higher standard" you seem to believe emergency responders should be held to, if they fail to meet that standard, just fire them?

as long as they don't do it while in a department uniform, then we need to remember that we are all only human.

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    btw, this higher standard of care for firefighters (and lets assume police officers too) where does the line get drawn? should both get fired for 1) calling other members of ES stupid 2) telling others that they aren't doing the job right or the more generic 3) cheating on a spouse 4) cheating on income taxes 5) speeding in their POV?

or anything else that violates the "higher standard" you seem to believe emergency responders should be held to, if they fail to meet that standard, just fire them?

as long as they don't do it while in a department uniform, then we need to remember that we are all only human.
    First of all, it is a higher standard of "conduct". Of the scenarios, you presented, only 4 is a crime. If an emergency service worker is convicted of tax evasion, yes, they should lose their job. Using inciteful language calling for the killing of police officers is not the same as calling a cop stupid. It's not the same as speeding and it's not the same as a dispute over the way you do your job.

But, of course, you know all that. Since you are one of the most anti-cop people on these forums, it is glaringly obvious you are trying to pick a fight. Pick away.

MembersZone Subscriber

If a police officer had a rap song about shooting unarmed black youths...what do you think the position of the "community" leaders would be?

Answer honestly....

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    I know in my engine house he would become a non-person. No one would talk to him, no one would acknowledge his presence. If he were to walk into a room, everyone else would leave.
    Lunch and dinner would be served, minus one setting; in fact, his meal money would be left on the table.
    That would be an outstanding way to handle it.

We should be held to a higher standard. Failing to meet that standard won't always rise to the level of dismissal, but things that you do off duty will certainly impact your department and thus you should be held accountable.

Openly calling for violence against fellow public safety workers is totally and completely unacceptable. It should be an offense justifying termination, if it isn't then Jasper's soultion is a good start.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    If a police officer had a rap song about shooting unarmed black youths...what do you think the position of the "community" leaders would be?

Answer honestly....

FTM-PTB
    Right next to the unholy trinity of "Reverend" Al "Not So" Sharpton, "Reverend" Jesse "Shakedown" Jackson and Louis "Whitey is the Devil" Farrakhan, who would be calling for not only the cop to be fired, but the police chief as well....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Right next to the unholy trinity of "Reverend" Al "Not So" Sharpton, "Reverend" Jesse "Shakedown" Jackson and Louis "Whitey is the Devil" Farrakhan, who would be calling for not only the cop to be fired, but the police chief as well....
    As yes...Tawana Brawley, Mr. Hymetown and Killy whitey...I wonder what they would have to say if local law enforcement was making light of shooting of unarmed blacks or perhaps the arrest of their poster boy Rodney King?

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 04-18-2007 at 05:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information