Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Wildland equipment

Anyone know where wildland equipment would stand with AFG ? Wildland protective clothing, soft pak brush pumps, brooms,rakes etc.
    Thank you

MembersZone Subscriber

You might contact your state forester. Every state gets Fed $ for wildland grants. In Iowa these are 50% (which I think is the standard) and pretty much a sure thing for FD at least every other year or so.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    You might contact your state forester. Every state gets Fed $ for wildland grants. In Iowa these are 50% (which I think is the standard) and pretty much a sure thing for FD at least every other year or so.
    The Chief would rather pay 5% than 50%.
    Thanks

FH Mag/.com Contributor

AFG isn't buying you brooms and rakes at any discount. PPE, soft-paks maybe. But shovels, rakes and that other stuff makes a laundry list. Grants are for big stuff, not when you can pick up something that does the job at Home Depot for $20.

MembersZone Subscriber

In Indiana, departments are eligible to be awarded a set of hand tools every 10 years--council rakes, fire swatters, etc. It's competitive, but it's about $900 worth at 0% (zero) match.

We were awarded an Indiana DNR grant last year which bought us our wildland jumpsuits at 50% cost, which means that we only had to do 50% of the fundraising to get it done. Used our AFG application for a brush truck. Confusious (our Chief) say..."better to pay 50% for wildland gear than 100% for brush truck."

AFG is perfect for large, unattainable needs. Forestry is perfect for lending a hand on smaller $$ purchases--still helps out a ton. neiowa and BC79er are right in their responses.

earl (my opinion only--others are welcome to be wrong. er...disagree)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    AFG isn't buying you brooms and rakes at any discount. PPE, soft-paks maybe. But shovels, rakes and that other stuff makes a laundry list. Grants are for big stuff, not when you can pick up something that does the job at Home Depot for $20.
    That is what I told him. He was not so sure. Now I can show it is not just me. Thank you for your comments they will be very helpful.

I have had wonderful success with wildland PPE, emergency fire shelters, Indian packs, skid units, chain saws etc.. if you have the need and can prove it with numbers; hence the emphasis this year on # of acres burned. The hand tools are petty stuff and a $1000 WalMart grant can handle those issues relatively easy or your 50/50 DOF grant.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default succesful wildland grant

Hey there. I was involved in a regional wildland PPE grant for $405,000 last year. More than happy to tell you what I know: mgallgher@cambriacsd.org

Thread Information