MembersZone Subscriber

Default Oral Interview Help

Hello All. I have been on the job now for about 2.5 years as a federal firefighter. I am looking to move a city department that has just recently closed its application process. The process is 50% resume and 50% oral. I have bought and read several books about oral interviews. So far they have been ok. There is alot of info on how to answer questions. I am wondering if anyone knows of any books that have the answers? What is the best program you have found? I have bought the tape recorder and it has helped me alot! I just want to make sure I am as prepared as I can possibly be. Thanks for any help anyone has to offer!

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out Capt. Bob's website at eatstress.com. He frequents these forums and sure he will chime in soon.
    Mike
    Fire Captain

MembersZone Subscriber

i can assure you that you don't want a book with "all the right answers" that will guarantee you...not to get the job. ask anyone who holds the interview the last thing they want to hear is another "clone". one with the same answers they have been hearing all day from the other candidates. make yourself stand out with your own unique answers and it'll put you higher and more memorable than the fore mentioned "clones"! hope this helps!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys. I do remember reading about the clone answers. Ill make sure to stay away from that. Any other reading material out there that anyone has had luck with?

Forum Member

Never heard of a test weighted 50% resume 50% oral? You can find out about resumes here: http://www.eatstress.com/resume.htm

The biggest problem I've seen on oral boards with seasoned veterans taking entry level or lateral tests is they can't place themselves in the position they are applying for; that of being a snotty nose rookie. They try to hammer the oral board with their credentials thinking the board will just hand them the job. Their oral board's skills are rusty and antiquated. It's hard for them to remember how it was to be a rookie.

This is a delicate balance here. Leave your time and rank in your locker. You must be humble, place yourself in the rookie position and build a natural bridge to present your education, experience and integrity to the oral board panel. Without this bridge, you're dead meat. This is not easy for many seasoned candidates. An attitude adjustment is needed. Attitude is a small thing that can make the big difference. Remember the position you're applying.

The seasoned veteran candidate can roar past any of the other candidates if his attitude and game plan is in place.

I think this says it all:

It was five years ago that I first visited this site. It was how I found and landed my first job at a small career department, and served for four and a half years. The entire time I wanted to make the lateral move to my hometown dept.--a larger city, more opportunities, Paramedic and tech. rescue opportunities...But I was a bone head. I thought because I was already on the job elsewhere, I could waltz through the process, and to some extent I did--all the way to the Chief's interview twice, but never got the call. Laterals, my advice to you is this: we are our own worst enemies...you think you are a good judge of your interview skills, trust me you're not. Don't be a bonehead like me and go through the process twice before getting help from professionals like Captain Rob and Captain Bob at www.eatstress.com Think this is some baloney sell-out advertisement? Well, all I can say is after five years of trying, my recruit academy starts in two weeks. You be the judge.
    Matt

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information