makes good girls go bad

Cool OK, so maby I was wrong.....

about moving to Jersey.....
    With some family issues, not making enough money to survive, and the absolute disgust with the EMS system, me thinks its time to go back to Fla....
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    With some family issues, not making enough money to survive, and the absolute disgust with the EMS system, me thinks its time to go back to Fla....
    Theres lots of room here in NVA or SW MD. I'm sure Harve would appreciate a good hand or two.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

makes good girls go bad

Allow me to add that the WARM WEATHER was something else I missed......
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Once you've lived here, it's awfully hard to leave.

I do wish you the very best.

BTW, highs well into the 80's, abundant sunshine and girls in short-shorts and bikini tops as I type this... Just thought you might like to know.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

makes good girls go bad

Now Loo, its not nice to rub it in...

It also seems to be "easier" to get on a Career Dept....you go and get your Certs, work your @ss off, and then you apply.
    Up here its live in the city, wait 2-8 years, blah blah blah.
    NOT worth it
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

It also seems to be "easier" to get on a Career Dept....you go and get your Certs, work your @ss off, and then you apply.
    NOT worth it
    I guess it's just due to the more transient nature of the population here. If departments down here wanted "home-grown" firefighters, they might have a long, long wait.

Well, gotta go pick up my girls from school...I think we'll go for a swim when we get home!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

NOT worth it

Every single kid that asks me about getting on a career department gets the same piece of advice: LEAVE NJ.

makes good girls go bad

And you were right, George.
    You gave me that advice before I attempted the move, and I should have listened!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree...I'm lookin to get out of here before its too late. Plus your right the weather is starting to get to me!!
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

MembersZone Subscriber

And you were right, George.
    You gave me that advice before I attempted the move, and I should have listened!
    I know I did. But I didn't want to come across with an "I told you so". I'm a jerk, but I am not heartless.

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

how are you not making enough money to survive? maybe if you worked for a municipal service or hospital based system (instead of a 3rd party service) you could. I know I do. Yeah, I work a Per diem job or two, but I get by.

I agree, if you want to get hired as a career FF, get out of NJ. I am currently looking at departments in Virginia and Maryland. NJ has too many roadblocks. best to apply everywhere and see what department offers you a job.

I don't understand your "disgust" with the EMS system. yeah, it has a few problems (ok, most than a few ) but no system is perfect. Too many ALS units, not enough ALS units, BLS can't do a lot, ALS is over dispatched, FD does all the work, EMS just transports, etc.

just remember the grass is always greener on the other side.......
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    how are you not making enough money to survive? maybe if you worked for a municipal service or hospital based system (instead of a 3rd party service) you could. I know I do. Yeah, I work a Per diem job or two, but I get by.

I agree, if you want to get hired as a career FF, get out of NJ. I am currently looking at departments in Virginia and Maryland. NJ has too many roadblocks. best to apply everywhere and see what department offers you a job.

I don't understand your "disgust" with the EMS system. yeah, it has a few problems (ok, most than a few ) but no system is perfect. Too many ALS units, not enough ALS units, BLS can't do a lot, ALS is over dispatched, FD does all the work, EMS just transports, etc.

just remember the grass is always greener on the other side.......
    All I work for is privates, and quite frankly, I am disgusted with the quality of EMTs that they are hiring. Refusing to learn the area that they serve (living far away, coming to a new area, and not learning streets. Not forgetting, straight up saying no, i wont learn.) Keeping Medics for EVERY call that they are dispatched for, even though we are no more then 4 minutes away from the hospital. Stuff like that.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Sounds like you are applying to FDNY.

I am disgusted with the quality of EMTs that they are hiring.
    Dude, you work in A/C. That's like one of the cesspools of the state.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Dude, no wonder you are so disgusted with EMS. Privates suck, at least in the state on NJ. Especially for profit ones. they are generally poorly paid, poorly equipped, hire the EMTs they can pay the least, and only want to focus on profit. That's your problem, you need to look at how a municipal or hospital based system works, and I think you will be change your mind.

If you want to work EMS in NJ, look at Jersey City EMS, UMDNJ, Monre Twp EMS, RWJUH EMS, Somerset Medical Center, UMDNJ-Camden, Union, Elizabeth PD, or any of the other big cities in the north. I don't know much about south jersey, but in central and north jersey, you absolutely can make enough money to live.

And most places don't keep medics for every call, they are usually canceled if the BLS crew decides they aren't needed. I don't know how you operate in the AC area, but that's how we operate up here.

I don't know if you are willing to leave your comfort zone and try something new, PM or e-mail me. yeah, you might have to relocate a little bit, and their is competition, so there is no guarantee of a job, but the good positions aren't' easy to get.
    Last edited by DrParasite; 04-20-2007 at 10:33 AM.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    Dude, no wonder you are so disgusted with EMS. Privates suck, at least in the state on NJ. Especially for profit ones. they are generally poorly paid, poorly equipped, hire the EMTs they can pay the least, and only want to focus on profit. That's your problem, you need to look at how a municipal or hospital based system works, and I think you will be change your mind.

If you want to work EMS in NJ, look at Jersey City EMS, UMDNJ, Monre Twp EMS, RWJUH EMS, Somerset Medical Center, UMDNJ-Camden, Union, Elizabeth PD, or any of the other big cities in the north. I don't know much about south jersey, but in central and north jersey, you absolutely can make enough money to live.

And most places don't keep medics for every call, they are usually canceled if the BLS crew decides they aren't needed. I don't know how you operate in the AC area, but that's how we operate up here.

I don't know if you are willing to leave your comfort zone and try something new, PM or e-mail me. yeah, you might have to relocate a little bit, and their is competition, so there is no guarantee of a job, but the good positions aren't' easy to get.
    In my younger days, I worked at both the MC and RWJUH. They are both class outfits. However, JC paid more. RW had better equipment. JC had a higher call volume. JC had PD on virtually every call (before the days of JCFD First Responder). Believe it or not, had more trauma with RW. Training ops were better at RW.

Of course, that was a while ago, but I don't suspect much has changed.

It was a little disconcerting that the BLS was getting paid about 1/3 of what the FD First Responders were...

MembersZone Subscriber

Also look into Edison Township EMS, they have good pay and benefits. The FD just took them over. I heard its rough to get hired there though so I dunno if you wanna try there or not. I agree private EMS sucks, I made the mistake of working for rural metro a few years ago..thank god there gone!! That was the shortest length of time I ever held a job haha...I now work for a private ambulance squad in middlesex county. They hired fulltimers and per diems for their daytime coverage so its a good job right now...pay is pretty decent and we got a nice 4 on 4 off schedule.
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

BLSBOY: Not knocking ya, but how long do you have in that system? Have you done anything to try and make improvements? Yea, privates suck but I'll bet a lot of us started out there and realized it's a stepping stone to bigger and better things. It's funny how I almost look back with fondness at my BLS private days. Anything went, no rules, lotta fun.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by wag11c View Post
    BLSBOY: Not knocking ya, but how long do you have in that system? Have you done anything to try and make improvements? Yea, privates suck but I'll bet a lot of us started out there and realized it's a stepping stone to bigger and better things. It's funny how I almost look back with fondness at my BLS private days. Anything went, no rules, lotta fun.
    Going on 8 months now. When I started, it was awesome to work. But more and more rules were implemented, paperwork became more, and we couldn't do the things we used to do. I do plan on making this a stepping stone, I learned alot, and plan on using that knowledge in Medic School.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe UMDNJ EMS is hiring for BLS in Camden. I dont know if you want to work there though lol but if where your at is as bad as you say it is then I'd check that out.
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

makes good girls go bad

I had heard they were hiring, asked around, but need 3+ years urban experience. Oh well. Fla Medic school looks fairly good
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

......"I agree, if you want to get hired as a career FF, get out of NJ."....

That's not always the case. We've hired over 125 in the last three years. Departments are hiring, but your timing has to be right. And yes,as you stated, you do have to wait.

I'm sorry things didn't work out. I wish you luck.

IACOJ BOD

BLS wants to move to NJ.. . Free

George says "NOOOO".. . His 5 cents worth.

BLS admits WHOOPS.

Georges response.....

I know I did. But I didn't want to come across with an "I told you so". I'm a jerk, but I am not heartless.
    PRICELESS
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    ......"I agree, if you want to get hired as a career FF, get out of NJ."....

That's not always the case. We've hired over 125 in the last three years. Departments are hiring, but your timing has to be right. And yes,as you stated, you do have to wait.

I'm sorry things didn't work out. I wish you luck.
    If only waiting were all it took. Many good kids will never attain their dream job due to the minority BS and the residency rules. That is the real crime in the NJ career fire service.

Forum Member

Default some reasons to live in florida

Nation's highest ratio of bare skin to clothing
    Its fun to feel sorry for the North from November until May
    Bike week in Daytona is a great lesson in how to get arrested
    Cold beer taste better in 100 degree temperatures
    From any point in Florida, a beach is only 60 miles away
    More than 1,000 golf courses allows us to research whether there could possibly be such a thing as to much golf
    Deep sea drinking while you fish
    Sailing is prescribed by doctors for stress related ailments
    All the Jimmy Buffet songs are true
    Spring Break comes to us, instead of the other way around
    Only state with both southern and northern rednecks
    Can you say "Sunshine State"?
    AND the number 1 reason:We didn't invent margaritas, we just perfected them

Thread Information