Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: St Louis

IAFF3904

Default test

I thought the best question was "Yes or No" Can you count over 50? WTF!

Forum Member

Default Sat. Test

Here we go again, people complaing about the test questions. Can't we just live with what they offered us as a test and move on to the next step of the process. To me it was a fair and honest test and if you can't count to 50 well lets just leave that one alone for now.

MembersZone Subscriber fieldseng2's Avatar

I have a question about the PAT though. How does the forcible entry thing work? It's a little confusing on the sheet they gave us. It's just a metal plate sitting flat on the ground?
    A metal plaet about the size of a CD case, attached to a digital metter that measures force. You have to exert X amount of force before you can move on to the next evolution. Sounds like you guys might be doing the same on I had to do.

So I have a completely unrelated question...................

A bunch of cops were out directing traffic and stopping every car to speak with him/her. There was also a bigger command unit looking thing that said DWI. Is this something that they do on weekends to randomly look for drunk drivers? Or was something big going on? Just curious. If it wasn't so cold I'd walk downstairs and talk to one of them.

Could be anything. Were they state or city PD? Probably a random DWI check to slow people down with the storm that was coming.

IAFF3904

Mr. Truckie,
    I'm totally fine with the test, but I did think it was a joke. If you think other wise I would love to hear your reasons. For me living out of town yeah it stinks because we don't get the 5 extra points, thats going to make or break most people on the test since their grading on a curve, the grouping is going to be unreal! Do you seriously think that was a good test? If you been in the fire service very long my bitching shouldn't offend you.(I mean that in the nicest way) PM if you want.

Forum Member

Default test results

Does anybody remember when the letters are going out? Its been almost 3 weeks since the test. Just woundering.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by truckie3 View Post
    Does anybody remember when the letters are going out? Its been almost 3 weeks since the test. Just woundering.
    I thought they said third week of January. So hopefully just a little longer.

I'm one of the most impatient people ever so this really sucks. haha At least I have a little bit of other stuff to keep me occupied. My second interview with a local suburban dept, going to Los Angeles for the LA City written next week, and starting a new POC job nearby. So with all that and St Louis, this could be an awesome month, or it could be terrible.

It's official....

There is a class of about 10 starting near the end of this month. Almost all of them were passed over, but already had a combination of EMT, paramedic, FF I/II, and some even had college degrees.

Not to worry...........we are certainly shorter than 10. No idea how soon, but they are sure to hire plenty off the new list.

Good luck.................

MembersZone Subscriber

So will having the extra certs really help us get the job? That'd be great for the department. Nice way to get the best who have already gone out of their way to make it on the job. I have EMT, FF I/II, HazMat-Technician, and I'm more than halfway through my degree so hopefully that will help.

Of course I'm still worried about the written since they had that personality section. I never trust how those will end up.

How big are most academy classes? I'm assuming this is so small because ot was sort of last minute, and just those who have been passed over?
    Last edited by clark918; 01-05-2008 at 02:06 PM.

So will having the extra certs really help us get the job?
    I'm not sure at this point how having certs will help you guys. I know eventually the chief wants this to be a factor in ranking potential recruits.

I know you guys have been following most of whats been going on this past year. The former chief has is own reasons why qualified people were passed over for people with absolutely no experience and barely obtained a GED. You can come up with your own conclusions.

However.....................it will certainly make life less stressful in the academy. If your certs are from Missouri, you won't have to take the state test again. If you are out of state it will depend on if your certs are IFSAC acredited.

How big are most academy classes? I'm assuming this is so small because ot was sort of last minute, and just those who have been passed over?
    Correct...........most classes that I have heard of average between 20-30. There was a class of 50 years ago, but I don't know of one that big in quite a while.

I don't know how many altogether were passed over, but I do believe the majority, if not all of this class fall in that category.

Realize this fellas............we are going thru growing pains again. A new administration means change, and there are a lot of changes coming. Training, not only for recruits, but for all of us is coming.

I would expect a more organized academy than what it has been, but make no mistake......we will still have one of the toughest (physically and academically) academies for a department our size......to coin the phrase "An experience you'll never forget, but will never want to repeat!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default results

so did the results come out? i never got a letter saying whether or not i passed, and they told us not to call or email asking the question? did anybody get anything?

MembersZone Subscriber

Not yet. They said about the third week of Jan. So there's still time.

MembersZone Subscriber

So I got my letter today and I passed the written test. I am taking the work simulation component on Feb 22 at 8:30am. There is a web site on the letter to go and watch a video of the test so I tried to go to it and it won't work so if anyone gets it to work let me know thanks and good luck to all.
    Jeff

MembersZone Subscriber

Got mine today too. Mine is on the Feb. 20

Forum Member

Default Letter recieved

Hey guys recieved my letter today. My test time is Feb. 13 @ 10:00. So far so good.

MembersZone Subscriber

Still no letter for me. : / I live in WI though so it will probably be tomorrow. Only thing I'm worried about is the personality stuff. Those always bother me.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm Feb 12 at 8:30AM.

giweff... The website worked for me. Try this link in case you typed it in wrong.

http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov/personnel/FTvid.htm

That is the same one I had to do to get on the job. The sledge hammer will definately kick your ***.....its all about upper body strength and stamina/endurance.

I know the who the FF is they showed doing the test at the end. He is in very good shape, and you saw it was tough for him.

It's not difficult to score in the "High" category, but you gotta prepare for it.

Good luck fellas....

MembersZone Subscriber

Besides that sledge hammer part, it doesn't look too difficult. I decided to spend the extra money for a trip out to practice because of that one station alone. That guy took a lot of breaks at that station and still finished with extra time.

I think I'll be alright. I'm putting in extra time at the gym now. This is the only physical test I have left in the three processes that I'm in(St Louis, LA, and a local suburb), but I'm more worried about the academy if I get hired.

Does anyone know how the test schedule was decided? Was it picked random, by name, or by test score? Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey the video worked thanks and good luck to all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone going to a practice session? I'm going to try to make it down there for one. Trying the Amtrak this time. Just as much money for a ticket as it is for gas, but at least I can relax.

I think I have to try and reschedule if they let me. I test Feb 12, but have an interview with LA City Feb 14 and possibly a mock interview Feb 13. Could work out great if flight times are okay.

Thread Information