Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: St Louis

Forum Member

Smile

Has Anyone Had Any Luck Rescehduling The Physcial Portion Of The Test? I Called The # On The Leter, Then I Was Transfered To A Voicemail Where I Left A Message. This Was About A Week And A Half Ago. Still No Response. Thanks For Any Help .

MembersZone Subscriber

I left a message as well. The guy called me back within hours. I would definitely try again because he may have missed it. He was very nice and let me pick pretty much any date.

Forum Member

Hey guys, has anyone took the practice test yet? And if so how was it? I'm hope the weather stays nice and cool and no snow in two weeks. Hey fields do you work at the 28's now and if so what shift? My family and I were up in the City a couple of weeks ago and stopped by to FF Owens on a Sunday and didn't know if you was there. Good luck to all in the next few weeks.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think I'm just gonna skip the practice test. There's nothing out of the ordinary. The one thing that scares me a bit is the forcible entry station. I figure I can practice all of them at home since I don't have the money or the time to travel all the way to St Louis again. I'm spending a so much in a week for the real test anyway.

Driving to Chicago(from Milwaukee) next Sunday, taking the Amtrak to St. Louis, then the PAT Monday morning. After I finish the PAT, I go to the airport and fly to LA. Then Tuesday I have a mock interview there and Wednesday I have my real interview and background interview.(They combined a few steps since I'm coming from the Midwest) Thursday I can enjoy the LA weather and have some fun. Then Friday I fly back to Milwaukee. CRAZY week. Could either be one of the best weeks ever(pass my PAT and interview) or one of the worst.(fail both)

Well good luck to everyone taking the test!

MembersZone Subscriber fieldseng2's Avatar

[QUOTE]My family and I were up in the City a couple of weeks ago and stopped by to FF Owens on a Sunday and didn't know if you was there.QUOTE]

I work with A.O....... and I'm sure I was there. Did you have a small child with you? I remember a family stopping by to see him. Ya should have asked for me! lol

Forum Member

Hey Fields, Yes I had my family with me: two kids and my wife. I will be coming up next Tuesday after shift to do the PAT on Wednesday. I told A.O. that I might stop by the 28's when I get in town. If I do I will be sure to meet you and the rest of the crew their. Be safe

MembersZone Subscriber

fieldseng... are you on Sunday or Monday? Otherwise, what would be a good station to visit in the same area as the PAT? Or somewhere that would fit with my schedule below.

I'm staying at the Econolodge downtown near the convention center(arriving there Sunday afternoon by Amtrak from Chicago at around 1PM. My PAT is at 8AM. Then I'm using the Metrorail to go to the airport. My flight to LA leaves at 5PM.

Thanks.

fieldseng... are you on Sunday or Monday?
    niether....lol......I will be on my 4 day, and out of town.

what would be a good station to visit in the same area as the PAT
    E5 and E17 are probably the closest to the academy. I've never been to the 5's and only know the guys on my shift at the 17's. Engine 2 is right downtown. E28 is used to visitors....and not too far from HQ. If you go on Sunday, I'll let my buddy know you might stop by. He is on the Hook&Ladder.

However......w/out your own transportation your travel is definately limited. E2 would be your best bet. Let me know what your plans are, and I can help ya out.

I told A.O. that I might stop by the 28's when I get in town. If I do I will be sure to meet you and the rest of the crew their. Be safe
    Very cool...be glad to meet ya.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, it looks like I'll be back again next week Friday. I completely missed that sheet that needs to be signed by a physician. I tried finding a clinic in the area with no luck. I'd just stay another night and find a place, but I need to catch a flight at 5:00. They were nice enough to let me reschedule though.

Does anyone know how many people passed the written? There were about 15 taking the PAT at 8:30 today. The PAT is run 3 times per day, 4 days per week, for 2 weeks.

Good luck to all......

Just a reminder....work on that cardio....ALOT of applicants dropping like flies. The sledge hammer is a kicker!

fielsdeng2

MembersZone Subscriber

fieldseng.. any idea how many got invited to the PAT? Also, sounds like you've heard a lot were failing the PAT. You hear a percentage or anything?

When I was there someone was talking to me and asked if I did the practice test. I explained that I couldn't afford to make the trip to do so. He shook his head and I said, "O, it was that easy?" He said, "No it was extremely hard. That dummy seemed impossible to move."

I've been training and I think I'm prepared. The only thing that worries me in the sledgehammer event. Now that I have another week, I was thinking of just grabbing a sledge hammer from out keiser machine and swinging away at a block on the ground. I'm not too worried about the dummy drag. I've done it it other PATs just fine. I also practiced at the station before the test.(I know it's different when you do it after the other events.)

I'm also a little surprised that so many are failing. Fieldseng mentioned that he thought that it was easier than the CPAT. I haven't taken it yet, but that seems to be the case. I hope I don't sound cocky. I'm still extremely nervous.

Well good luck to those that still need to test!

Also, does anyone else remember the time line they gave us at the written? Interviews are March/April I think? Then didn't they want the first academy by summer? Thanks.

Forum Member

Default The PAT

For those who have not took it yet, Fields is 100% right the sledge hammer will kick your butt. You need to hit it square in the center. I was having the problem of not doing that. Also I was worn out when I got to the dummy from having to hit the sledge so many times. But I finished in 6:14. 3 seconds over the high mark, at least its in the med. range. Hopefully that will still good enough to get to the interviews. Good luck to all in the future.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with everyone else the sledge hammer tears you up. I think the average is 60-80 and some even over 100 hits. I dont have to take mine until the 22 but I did the practice in 4.16 and I was pretty tired after it. I know when I was there watching people could not drag the dummie. What I did on the Slege hammer was after 30 Hit I switched hands witch seemed to help a lot. Good luck to everone.

any idea how many got invited to the PAT? Also, sounds like you've heard a lot were failing the PAT. You hear a percentage or anything?
    No idea how many are taking it. The only reason I know alot of people were failing was my Captain is teaching the current tecruit class, and we had to drop some stuff off at the academy on Tuesday when they were testing.

We watched a few people take it. Supposedly, it took a few people over 150 hits on the sledge. Hit it square on center seems to be the key. That evolution is set up to wear you down....to test your endurance.

If your not in shape now...it's probably too late.....you just have to have a "Never Say Die" attitude and push yourself thru it.

BTW....

This test is cake walk compared to the PT you'll go thru in the academy. So if you struggled thru this....start working on the areas you need improvement NOW! You can flunk out for poor fitness just as easily as you can for academics. Don't sell yourself short if/when you make it that far!
    Last edited by fieldseng2; 02-17-2008 at 12:03 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I left Milwaukee last night at midnight and arrived for my 8:30 test this morning. I got there and found out it was cancelled due to weather. I'm unable to make it next week for a make up test so it looks like I'm going to have to call it quits for St Louis. Sucks that I've taken 4 trips by plane, train, and car, and accomplished nothing but a written test. I don't really have the money for another trip either.

Good luck to the rest of you though!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey guys this is Devondual, I passed my PAT 4:50. Clark man, sorry to hear about your test, wish you the best of luck with all the departments. My firehouse membership expired, I'll renew it soon, hopefully we can keep this thread updated, and alive. Thanks Fieldseng for all your help so far, you've been a great source for info. I do have a few questions for you; how many steps are there to the interview process? How long after the process do they put out a list, or give you your ranking? And the million dollar question.....Anyword and the number of candidates that have completed the PAT?

???Is the STL explorer "T'' or Mr. 3:29, on here???

Thanks Fieldseng for all your help so far, you've been a great source for info.
    No problem..........anytime!

I do have a few questions for you;

how many steps are there to the interview process?
    Only one for the testing process. If/when your name is called for a class you have an interview with a panel of chiefs. Mine was CFD, and 2 Deputies.

How long after the process do they put out a list, or give you your ranking?
    About a million years....or so it seemed. Just like every where else....it doesnt seem like they are in a rush. It's all controlled by the Department of Personnel and not the Fire Dept.

And the million dollar question.....Anyword and the number of candidates that have completed the PAT?
    Not sure....several days of testing have been rescheduled due to the weather, but I will try to find out.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know there's at least two days(Monday and Wednesday) where they still have tests.

Forum Member

Does anyone know if the PAT is over yet? And are they taking only the ones who scored in the high range or does everybody go on to the interviews. Thanks for any info.

Thread Information