Like Tree3Likes

Thread: St Louis

posted twice my bad
    Last edited by cdv031; 11-14-2008 at 06:26 PM.

Fieldseng2 maybe you can help me out. I am full time down a the lake and #76 on the city list. I was wondering if u have any idea when the next class starts, when they will send letters, or how many will be in the next class? I am going crazy waiting to get back to the STL! Thanks for any info you can shed on this subject!

MembersZone Subscriber

The current class started with 40, down to 38...graduation right around the corner.

The next class is slated to start the first of the year. I heard Feb., but could be as late as March. If you are #76 on the list...I would have to say you have a 99.9999% chance of getting called for the next class. I never heard how many they went thru to get to the first 40.....but were I went to school 40+40= 80.....so even if they got the first 40....you should get the call.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default St. Louis Firefighter Shot In The Line Of Duty.

An off duty St. Louis City firefighter has died after being shot in North County.

Police say the firefighter, identified as 52 year old Leonard Riggins, was the victim in one of a series of four carjackings in the area of Sheply and Spring Garden and down to Riverview.

Police say a woman was carjacked, then the suspect crashed her car. Riggins was reportedly trying to help the carjacker, who he thought was simply a wreck victim.

Police say the suspect then shot the firefighter and took his vehicle. He then crashed that car and carjacked someone else as police were arriving on the scene.

Cops say there was a brief chase then a shootout with police. Police shot and killed the suspect.

Firefighter Riggins was taken to Christian Northeast Hospital where his death was announced just before 7:30pm.

In his blog, St. Louis mayor Francis Slay calls the killing, "a stupid act of violence that took one of our neighbors from us."

Slay says he'll order city flags to half staff.

Riggins was a fourteen year veteran of the department.

If you'd like to help Firefighter Riggins family, the Backstoppers organization will be working with them. Their website is attached or you can reach them at 314-692-0200.

And I do beleve that the are treating it as a line and duty death b/c he was on his way home from work and still in uniform. REST IN PEACH BROTHER LEONARD RIGGINS THOUGHT AND PRAYERS ARE WITH HIS FAMILY AND THE ST. LOUIS FIRE DEPT.

Forum Member

Default number of students

hello,
    I was talking to a battalion chief the other day and he told me, that he heard the next class will have 20 people, anyone heard any different i know fields' says 40 so i am just trying to clarify.

P.S.- fields do happen to be the one in charge of the explorers?

MembersZone Subscriber

Nope, not in charge of Explorers. That honor goes to another guy.

As far as how many in the next class the BC may be right. The last I heard was 40, but anywhere from 20-40 could be accurate.

Busy week for us...just buried one of our own today...transfer list and recruit class comes tomorrow...training for our new SCBAs starts soon...switching over from Survivair to Scott Dec-Jan.

We'll know about the next class after we gety thru all of that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Congrats to the recruit class that graduated on Friday....

Ill be seeing ya...especially who was assigned to Engine 30A.

Last week a couple people called me and said they heard 40 in Jan. Just wondering if you had heard anything? Do u by chance know how long before a class they send out letters. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Default class on hold due to budget

I heard from a friend on the department that there is talk of the next class being put off due to money issues has anyone else heard this to know if there is any truth to it?

MembersZone Subscriber

I heard from a reliable source that COD put in a request to City Hall for a 30 firefighter recruit class which would start on FEB 2, 2009. And I don't think this person would lie to me. But then again I don't know any thing for sure maybe fields would know for us.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talk to my friend today and he didn't hear anything about pushing back the class.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Second Class

Does anyone know what type of notice the City normally gives recruits before the start of the academy? I would imagine at least 2 weeks but I could be wrong. Does anyone have any further on the Chief's interview? I had heard that there may be one, any confirmation either way? Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Just wondering if anyone knows what kind of notice the city normally gives you. I would imagine that it is atleast 2 weeks notice but who knows. Also does anyone know much about the Chief's interview? Thanks and stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

I got my notice in june...started in august.....when you get your letter you still have the chiefs interview and physical.....that takes time for 30-40 people....

you get a final letter stating when the academy starts. Its at least 2 weeks before the class starts

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chief's Interview

Quote Originally Posted by fieldseng2 View Post
    I got my notice in june...started in august.....when you get your letter you still have the chiefs interview and physical.....that takes time for 30-40 people....

you get a final letter stating when the academy starts. Its at least 2 weeks before the class starts
    Thanks for the quick reply, how does the Chief's interview normally go? Is it something that normally knocks many people out or do you really have to blow it to not make it through the interview? I feel pretty confident in my interview skills, I'd just hate to make it this far to lose out because of something stupid. I think (as long as the Chief goes off our number, and the physical/interview go well) that I should be in the next class if it is a 20+ person class. Thanks again to all the info you're throwing out to all of us, we all appreciate it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wear a suit and tie, be clean shaven, well groomed, address everyone as sir, mame, or their rank.

Be professional, don't be cocky, be honest, if a door is closed...knock before entering. Should use common sense, professional courtesy.

I interviewed under a different chief. I had CFD, a Deputy, and lead instructor of the academy. The whole interview was recorded.

If you made it this far, you should do well

Forum Member

Has anyone heard when the next class is going to start and how many will be going? I know that this list will be a year old come next month and maybe it will last for 2 more years after that to get to my number. Good luck to all. Hey Fields hows things at the 28's, staying busy? When you see A.O. next time tell him I said hey.

Default info please?

Hello to everyone and good job to all. I have some questions, would anyone mind helping me out? I am from saint louis but currently in the Navy. I have every intention to get out and go back to pursue a firefighting career, i am just kind of lost as to where to begin. I would make some phone calls but im overseas right now. The list you are refering to is the stl fire academy right? How did you apply to go to the academy, and is this a waiting list just to get accepted to take the class? What do i need or should i have before i apply? I would really appreciate any help i can get thanks guys.

Thumbs up Stlfd

Hey guys, hope you all are doing well. Its been a while since I've been on here (devondual). I've been a little busy over the last 8 months! My advice to all that are in the running for the next testing phase and academy are as follows:

1) DO PUSH UPS
    2) BETTER BE ABLE TO RUN STAIRS
    3) IF YOU HAVE YOUR FFI&II READ YOUR BOOK AGAIN, AND AGAIN.
    4) READ AND REVIEW MINE AND FIELDS OLD POST'S, THEY WILL HELP OUT!

I was in your shoes not long ago, I will be more than happy talk to you about some stuff, but I'm a "new *****" and WILL have nothing but respect for STLFD and the testing process.

P.S. I'm not from St. Louis, have no "family pulls" here, and have never worked for the city prior to getting hired. SO YES IT DOES HAPPEN =-)

How does the list work? Will the list expire when they go through all of the names or will it expire after the three years no matter where they are on the list?

MembersZone Subscriber

Djibouti09

Hello to everyone and good job to all. I have some questions, would anyone mind helping me out? I am from saint louis but currently in the Navy. I have every intention to get out and go back to pursue a firefighting career, i am just kind of lost as to where to begin. I would make some phone calls but im overseas right now. The list you are refering to is the stl fire academy right? How did you apply to go to the academy, and is this a waiting list just to get accepted to take the class? What do i need or should i have before i apply? I would really appreciate any help i can get thanks guys.
    Goto the City of St. Louis website. Contact Department Of Personnel and request to be put on the list to be contacted when the next application process starts. Probably not for another year or two. Stay/get in excellent physical conditioning, get your EMT or better yet Paramedic license, take any FF courses you can, and wait......thats about all you can do right now until the take aps again.

avsfan81

How does the list work? Will the list expire when they go through all of the names or will it expire after the three years no matter where they are on the list?
    CFD and the Department of Personnel have the option the extend the list even if it does "expire". It is sounding like most prefer that not to happen anymore....so its anybody's guess right now. But, the plan is...when it expires there will be a new list of applicants.

BTW what part of Springfield are you from.....I have familt there....used to live around there....

devondualstlfd.......I dont think I heard where you were assigned.......where ya at?

Forum Member

Default New class

Just wanted to keep up the rumor. I heard from a reliable source that CFD asked for 30, all that was approved was 20, then it DID get put on hold. No word on if and when the hold will be lifted. Hang in there guys. Oh, by the way, if you are number 42 or 43 on the list, ask Devondualstlfd what happened. A jerk just screwed you out of being in the last class.

MembersZone Subscriber

I heard same but nothing about it being on hold and cutting down the class to 20 I have not head that and I talked to my friend last night.

Well as far as the guy that left, I think there is a lot more to it. He is a nice guy, smart dude (he did rank high on the STLFD hiring list, and another department whos pay is out of this world and hard to get on to!) But here it is, I have 2 friends that were in my academy that ranked on the list between #60 and #80, they did not just hire 1-40. So, did he really someone elses spot.....or not? I don't feel like he did. So it kinda sucks that one for my classmates is already gone, but rather see him leave then, then later and I wish him the best of luck.

Forum Member

Last night i talked to a friend of mine who is pretty high in the dept, and he was telling me they are talking march for the next class and they only got approved for 20. He was also telling me that they went through 45 people to get the original class of 40, and they are gonna try between 25-30 people for this class to get the 20, so it is not for sure if you are for example number 50 that you will actually be in the next class. Everything I said is what was told to me so i don't know all of that to be 100% fact, so take it as you will.
    Thanks,
    to everyone who post here i know for me its like to only hope towards this job, or the only info on it.

Thread Information