Like Tree3Likes

Thread: St Louis

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by budslights View Post
    Last night i talked to a friend of mine who is pretty high in the dept, and he was telling me they are talking march for the next class and they only got approved for 20. He was also telling me that they went through 45 people to get the original class of 40, and they are gonna try between 25-30 people for this class to get the 20, so it is not for sure if you are for example number 50 that you will actually be in the next class. Everything I said is what was told to me so i don't know all of that to be 100% fact, so take it as you will.
    Thanks,
    to everyone who post here i know for me its like to only hope towards this job, or the only info on it.
    I heard the city and mayer approved a class for late FEB early March for 30 firefighters not 20. The chief was trying for 40 and from what i hear they only gave him 30. Maybe my info was wrong and it is only 20 either way I think I will be ok if I am 47 and even 50 should make it in too. I am excited and can't wait to get a letter hopefully sooner rather than later.

Forum Member

I know what you mean about the letter it sucks having no official word, or place to go info other than this website. you guys know as well as i do we all post what we here not for sure info. what i meant about the number 50 comment I made was when they take their list they interview more than the number and pick out the best people for the job.i just picked the number 50 for an example.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by budslights View Post
    I know what you mean about the letter it sucks having no official word, or place to go info other than this website. you guys know as well as i do we all post what we here not for sure info. what i meant about the number 50 comment I made was when they take their list they interview more than the number and pick out the best people for the job.i just picked the number 50 for an example.
    Ya I am ready to get the letter and know for sure. What number are you on the list?

MembersZone Subscriber

Any truth to the rumor that St. Louis is going away from the quints and moving back to engine companies and ladders again?

MembersZone Subscriber

We had training at HQ last week. There is a class in the works for the first part of the year, but nothing definitive on the start date or how many.

What your friend on the job may be referring to is for every open position the chief is allowed to interview 3 people and pick what he believes is the best of the bunch. HOWEVER.....it has been past practice (even with the past chief), and from what Ive heard.....the chief has/will pick in the order ranked.

It is also possible for someone, for whatever reason, will decline a job offer.

Regarding quints...........

Yes it is true....there are plans in the works to have pumpers, keep some of the 75' quints, and have ladder companies. Lots and lots of rumors how and when this is all gonna take place. Its all about the $$$, so I imagine this is gonna happen over a period of time.

Forum Member

Default New Class approved

A new class of 20 approved. They haven't said when it will start, but I would guess sometime in March or April. They should start sending letters sometime in Feb. or March. Good luck.

Forum Member

Well i heard again that the next class will be starting within the next month, the person i talked to is going to be one of the instructors. Also does anybody know what number they went up to, to get the first class of 40. i had heard that they went to up to number 45 because of a couple of people that got knocked off the list. just hear/say don't know if there is any truth to that. Also does anyone know how the current staffing of the fire department, i know that the 5's & 36's are still only running part of the time so i would think they are still understaffed.
    Thanks,
    Brad

MembersZone Subscriber

I was at the academy for a class yesterday. I talked to one of the captains assigned to training that I know.

He is the captain that runs the recruit classes, and does not know when the class will start, and no one has been officially told who the instructors are.

They are trying to get a class of 20 in. The Dept. of Personnel has yet to approve it.

In recent days the 5s and 36s have been in service....at least on my shift, but we are not in peak vacation time yet.

Forum Member

Hey Fields' just wanted to say thanks for all the info on here, the info i type on here is just from what i hear from people i know on the dept. So again thanks for the info and clarifying some of the things the rest of us are unsure of

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SVFD2006 View Post
    A new class of 20 approved. They haven't said when it will start, but I would guess sometime in March or April. They should start sending letters sometime in Feb. or March. Good luck.
    Im 49 on the list, still waiting on my letter

MembersZone Subscriber

No prblem...wasnt calling you out or anything...just passing along any info I get to you all!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fieldseng2 View Post
    I was at the academy for a class yesterday. I talked to one of the captains assigned to training that I know.

He is the captain that runs the recruit classes, and does not know when the class will start, and no one has been officially told who the instructors are.

They are trying to get a class of 20 in. The Dept. of Personnel has yet to approve it.

In recent days the 5s and 36s have been in service....at least on my shift, but we are not in peak vacation time yet.
    Good news they want a class of 20.
    Bad new they don't know when.
    Its just hard waiting I and am excited to find out.
    Fields I don't know if I told you yet but thanks for all you have done all the info is great and so helpful. Keep it coming please. I feel like I owe you a favor.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ya dont owe me a thing.

but here is what ya can do........

if/when you come on the job always give 110%, don't follow the $h!t bums, and no matter how bad things may seem to be, no matter how much your co-workers may crab and whine... remember it's still the greatest job on earth!

Forum Member

Default Class hours

Does anybody know how long a typical day in class is? Ive heard 8 till 4pm

MembersZone Subscriber

Ya dont owe me a thing.

but here is what ya can do........

if/when you come on the job always give 110%, don't follow the $h!t bums, and no matter how bad things may seem to be, no matter how much your co-workers may crab and whine... remember it's still the greatest job on earth!
    Ok sounds good You have yourself a deal and my word. And I agree too many people don't realize how good they do have it. And I hope it is when and not if but when shall see I guess. Have a great day and thanks again.

MembersZone Subscriber

Im sure its a matter of when. CFD seems to be very aggressive in keeping the manpower where it needs to be.

Forum Member

Default Class hours?

No prblem...wasnt calling you out or anything...just passing along any info I get to you all!
    how long is a typical day in class? Ive heard 8-4pm

Forum Member

hey svfd2006 whats up? I talked to you this weekend at Mardi gras. Saw you guys were pretty busy. Hope all is well for you and your new job.Just waitin game for me. I'm not putting a whole lotof stock right now in St. Louis with my number with the economy and all but who knows, At least I still gotta good job here. Keep in touch and let me know if you hear any rumors. Good seeing you.

MembersZone Subscriber

how long is a typical day in class? Ive heard 8-4pm
    Thats what Im hearing for the past couple of classes.

When I was in the academy, we had to be there by 0630 for pt. It was very rare to get out of there by 4pm...usually between 5-6pm. A couple of timesit was even later.

We have a new academy staff, and I think they figured out they have to pay recruits OT after 40hrs. So alot of the needless BS is gone.

I heard today the next class is on hold....no one is saying why. Be patient it will come.

MembersZone Subscriber

When I was in the academy, we had to be there by 0630 for pt. It was very rare to get out of there by 4pm...usually between 5-6pm. A couple of timesit was even later.

We have a new academy staff, and I think they figured out they have to pay recruits OT after 40hrs. So alot of the needless BS is gone.

I heard today the next class is on hold....no one is saying why. Be patient it will come.
    Not the greatest news in the world but I guess it is better knowing that than going to the mail box everyday and wondering why you don't have a letter. Thanks again Fields for all the info.

Forum Member

I hate this, I dont know what to tell my CAPT I just told him the next class should be in March. Now the hiring process has started for my position

Forum Member

Default STLFD letters

Just talked with HR they said March was accurate and still waiting for the chiefs approval to send letters

MembersZone Subscriber

Now understand this....

It is on hold, but they can get the green light tomorrow. You will have plenty of time to give your capt the word.

You are at least givning them the heads up about whats going on.

Just because theyve started their own process...they cant push you out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cltobin View Post
    I hate this, I dont know what to tell my CAPT I just told him the next class should be in March. Now the hiring process has started for my position
    Where do you currently work?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by strub34 View Post
    Where do you currently work?
    I work at Warrenton fpd west of STL 50 miles or so, Im not worried about getting pushed out, I just dont want to burn any bridges by giving anyone conflicting information. I get asked everyday about STLFD so I have to make sure I can give people the MOST correct rumors i guess.

Thread Information