Like Tree3Likes

Thread: St Louis

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cltobin View Post
    I work at Warrenton fpd west of STL 50 miles or so, Im not worried about getting pushed out, I just dont want to burn any bridges by giving anyone conflicting information. I get asked everyday about STLFD so I have to make sure I can give people the MOST correct rumors i guess.
    I Hear you there I just tell people I'll let you know when I know and leave it at that. What number are you on the list?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by giweff View Post
    I Hear you there I just tell people I'll let you know when I know and leave it at that. What number are you on the list?
    49th originally now 4th or 9th depending how many they used in the first process. Ive heard they made up to 45.

MembersZone Subscriber

49th originally now 4th or 9th depending how many they used in the first process. Ive heard they made up to 45.
    Well cool we are right next to each other than b/c I am 48 originally so 3rd or 8th now. So either way we should be good.

Forum Member

Default STLFD Class

I just heard 2nd party from a Captain at the airport that the class is on hold for a year, Hope this isnt the case!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I know the captain who is in charge of the recruit classes. when i talked to him last week, he did not say anything like that. He did say it was on hold, but it sounded more like a month or two rather than a whole year.

I can think of only one captain at the airport that might know anything. It's possible he may heard part of the story, and made his own conclusion or someone was giving him a line of BS. Which wouldnt suprise me either.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fieldseng2 View Post
    I know the captain who is in charge of the recruit classes. when i talked to him last week, he did not say anything like that. He did say it was on hold, but it sounded more like a month or two rather than a whole year.

I can think of only one captain at the airport that might know anything. It's possible he may heard part of the story, and made his own conclusion or someone was giving him a line of BS. Which wouldnt suprise me either.
    Awesome, thats what i hoped for thanks for the info. I talked with a capt at the 28s and he said the same as you also. Ill get some more info when i ride along again in a bit.

MembersZone Subscriber

I heard it is on hold until the firefighters and city hall work out how much they are going to up pay firefighters who fill in for the Capt. And caps who fill in for chiefs. As soon is that is worked out in the budget they are going to start the class. I may be wrong but that is what I heard. It may be a week it may be a couple months who knows. I wouldn't think a year. I am sure they just want to see how much the up pay will be then make cuts to the origanal 20 to make the budget work out.

Forum Member

I heard it is on hold until the firefighters and city hall work out how much they are going to up pay firefighters who fill in for the Capt. And caps who fill in for chiefs. As soon is that is worked out in the budget they are going to start the class. I may be wrong but that is what I heard. It may be a week it may be a couple months who knows. I wouldn't think a year. I am sure they just want to see how much the up pay will be then make cuts to the origanal 20 to make the budget work out.
    Is a normal class under 20 usually?

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know Fields would prob be able to tell us though. I think they will do what ever they can from 5 to 40 but I am not 100%.

MembersZone Subscriber

Its not very often we have a class under 20...Had one just over a year ago...but that was the end of the old list.

I wouldnt think working out the details of "out of title pay" has anything to do w/the recruit class...but stranger things have happened...

what capt at the 2s did ya talk to cl?

Forum Member

Its not very often we have a class under 20...Had one just over a year ago...but that was the end of the old list.

I wouldnt think working out the details of "out of title pay" has anything to do w/the recruit class...but stranger things have happened...

what capt at the 2s did ya talk to cl?
    I talked with the Capt at the 28s on HL15, I cant remember his name but he said he was teaching the next class and March was the latest he knew of.

MembersZone Subscriber

hmmmm.....havent heard anyone out of my house going up there to teach...

was he white guy or black guy?

u might have talked to the cpt. who (on paper) is assigned here, but detailed to hq

Forum Member

hmmmm.....havent heard anyone out of my house going up there to teach...

was he white guy or black guy?

u might have talked to the cpt. who (on paper) is assigned here, but detailed to hq
    Oh my mistake, I think he was filling in that day now that I remember. I know he has like 20 years in though, but he is not a captain

Forum Member

Oh my mistake, I think he was filling in that day now that I remember. I know he has like 20 years in though, but he is not a captain
    Anything new out?

MembersZone Subscriber

Anything new out?
    I hear ya it sucks waiting.

Forum Member

Yeah I get most of my info from doing ride alongs, the guys are awesome friendly and they teach you all kinds of stuff if you tell them your close on the list. Idd recommend riding with the 10s 28s or 2s for a full 24 if your in the next class. At least you can learn while you wait. Its a good way to see what you will be doing and how.

MembersZone Subscriber

I hope to be in the next class I am 48 so i would think i am in but you never know. How do i go about seting up a ride it sound like it would be fun?

Forum Member

Default Ride Alongs

Oh yeah we are both in the next class seeing how im 49 and your 48 unless something really strange happens.

Ride alongs are easy to set up you just go to HQ get a form and have your Chief sign a letter of approval. You get to pick your engine house and a 12 or 24 hour shift, I always ride engines since they see the most but you can ride the Hook or Squads if you want. You have to be on a fire dept and i think 18 and thats it. Its a great time but if you catch a fire be ready to learn and work dont just stand and take pics, your allowed to do anything but go on air and make entry before its mostly knocked down. If you tell them your in the next class you might catch some sh*t but its all in good favor so enjoy it.

MembersZone Subscriber

cool i will have to go pick up the form next week thanks for the info. Where is your one favorite place to ride?

Forum Member

cool i will have to go pick up the form next week thanks for the info. Where is your one favorite place to ride?
    The 10s or 28s for sure, Ive cought more fire with the 10s but the 28s run more calls in general.

Forum Member

I talked to HQ today and the next class is in a normal holding stage, so at least they didnt say it was frozen for good or something worse.

MembersZone Subscriber

The 28s go to most of the fires the 10s do.

10s is mostly ghetto not alot to see except run down/vacant buldings.

The 28s has its ghettos, but also has the Central West End. On a nice warm summer night...especially the weekend.... or if SLU and Wash U are still open.....lots of "sights" to see!

Forum Member

The 28s go to most of the fires the 10s do.

10s is mostly ghetto not alot to see except run down/vacant buldings.

The 28s has its ghettos, but also has the Central West End. On a nice warm summer night...especially the weekend.... or if SLU and Wash U are still open.....lots of "sights" to see!
    Yes very true!! Hey fields what shift are you on, Im riding on Saturday

MembersZone Subscriber

Im on A shift...so I will be coming off on Saturday. I do believe you will have to meet the Deputy first thing...so I might not see you.

I usually hang out for a while, but Ive got SIX days off starting Saturday. I might be climbing the walls to get out of there! LOL

Forum Member

I talked with a Deputy Chief and a class of 20 was asked for in March but the city doesnt have the money so now we are most likely looking at the end of the year or at least after July unless they find the funding.

Thread Information