Like Tree3Likes

Thread: St Louis

MembersZone Subscriber

Does Stlfd hire EMT's (not wishing to become firefighters)?
    Yes they do, we still hire EMT's/Medics thru the EMS Division. But, the last time I checked EMT starting pay was pretty crappy.

It's good to hear some of the new guidelines on the test. It used to be nearly impossible to get hired without transferring to the FD from a different city department.

ya, know if we could only get residency lifted, we would be doing great!

Forum Member

Is there no oral board? I was looking through the website and saw no mention of an oral board...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by almsfan21 View Post
    Is there no oral board? I was looking through the website and saw no mention of an oral board...
    I noticed that too. I had one when I tested. I'll have to get back to you on that one.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default application deadline

Quote Originally Posted by fieldseng2 View Post
    Anything else?? Feel free to ask.
    The deadline on the Personnel Department web page is listed as June 1, which conflicts with a May 18th deadline I've seen listed elsewhere. Do you know which date is correct?

MembersZone Subscriber

The deadline was orginally May 18th,and has been extended to June 1st.

With the minimum age requirement recently lowered to 18.....they needed to extend the deadline so the young bucks applying could get their high school diplomas in hand so they could apply for the job.

MembersZone Subscriber

With the minimum age requirement recently lowered to 18.....they needed to extend the deadline so the young bucks applying could get their high school diplomas in hand so they could apply for the job.
    That sucks. More competition for me. : (

Forum Member

Fieldseng, did you ever figure out if there was an oral board or not?

MembersZone Subscriber

Ah, okay, that makes sense. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Fieldseng, did you ever figure out if there was an oral board or not?

Sorry....

I forgot all about it....I'm at the firehouse tomorrow, and I will attempt to look into that.

Forum Member

Cool, thanks

Forum Member

Well I threw my hat in. We shall see.

Appreciate all the info fieldseng. I still need to do a ride a long, maybe this summer.

Forum Member

Well, it's about the last day for the applications so just want to give a good luck to everyone who's going out for the testing.

MembersZone Subscriber

I put in a application hopefully I will do good on the test we shall see.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good Luck To All!!!!!

Forum Member

Just wondering if anybody has gotten any of their information yet or has heard anything? This is the first test I've applied for and am just anxious to hear anything, wanting to make sure I didn't screw up the application or anything somehow:/

MembersZone Subscriber

Brk,

Nothing here.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nothing here either. I was thinking I may have screwed something up as well. This is taking a long time for a letter.

Forum Member

Alright thanks guys, that's a bit of a relief.

Forum Member

I haven't heard anything yet, either..

MembersZone Subscriber

Be patient. They don't move very fast w/stuff like that around here. If you haven't heard anything by the end of the month, give Personnel a call.

Forum Member

No rush. Waited for 2 years, I can wait another month, or two or three...

Besides, maybe by the time the list is finalized that residency "thing" will be taken care of!

Hey Fieldseng,

General question:

Would you say that STLFD big picture wise is progressive or traditional? Just curious about what you have seen.

I know the quint concept is considered progressive, but was it created because of budgets and staffing or to truly be progressive?

MembersZone Subscriber

Would you say that STLFD big picture wise is progressive or traditional? Just curious about what you have seen.

I know the quint concept is considered progressive, but was it created because of budgets and staffing or to truly be progressive?

From what ive seen probably a little bit of both. When StL went to all quints back in the 1980's the city as a whole was going down the sewer, but was burning like the Bronx. In the mid 20th century, the population was around 800,000. We had 50 firehouses then.

With social and economic decline, along with "white flight" the tax base and population fell in the 2nd half of the century. Now we have a residental population around 350,000, with a daytime popualtion well over 1 million.

The fire department had to come up w/a way to provide 1st rate serice w/a 3rd rate budget....thus the quint concept was born. Although, Im a fan of traditional "engines and trucks"...the quint concept does work....if everyone does what hey are supposed to do!

It looks like the city is coming back to life...LOTS of new constuction, redevelopment, and the population is on the rise again. I doubt the quint concept will ever leave St. Louis, but as the population, industry, and new consturction grows we may have to re-evaluate some of our strategy.

There are still some struggles going on both w/the city and the fire department, but I still believe it's a great department to work for.

Did I answer your question, or did I ramble off course?? lol

MembersZone Subscriber

How exactly does a city with all quints operate? I work for 2 POC depts in WI and both have quints as their ladder trucks, but that's in addition to engines. Do they just dispatch you as an engine or ladder based on the call and who else is dispatched? Just a bit confused.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have...

30 Engine Cos. ALL are 75' quints. Staffed w/a a total of 4.

4 Hook&Ladders. 2 are 100' tower ladders and the other 2 are 125' areials. Staffed w/a total of 4. All of these trucks are quints.

2 Heavy Rescue Squads. Staffed w/a total of 6.

When it comes right down to it 90% of the time the engines operate as an engine company. Hook&Ladders (truck co.) are almost always a truck company. The function of a company depends on the order they are dispatched and/or arrive at a fire.

For a 1st Alarm fire....(non-high rise buildning)

1st in Engine: Leads out w/appropiate attack line, makes the hydrant.

2nd in Engine: Does "truck work". 2 FFs begin primary search, the other 2 throw ladders to the front and rear of the building. Forcible entry, salvage/overhaul.

3rd in Engine: "Back up Water"...assists first in engine w/additional water if needed, assists w/attack line and/or pulls 2nd line off if needed.

4th in Engine: "Backs up the Hook&ladder". Gives them a second supply line if they make a raise, helps with ventilation.

5th in Engine: RIT. MINIMUM 4 man team w/RIT bag, TIC, additional rescue rope, and appropiate tools to gain access and rescue downed FF.

Hook&Ladder: Ventialtion, primary search, forcible entry, salvage/overhaul,throws more ladders if needed.

Squad: Forcible entry, assist w/ventilation, secondary search, salvage/overhaul. Secondary RIT.

Depending on the structure and conditions you'll get 2-3 chiefs.

High rise ops are similar...w/SOPS stating specific equipment companies will bring with them into the building, and which companies are making the standpipes and sprinklers.

In any case, what seat you are riding depends on what job you have too.

That is the Readers Digest Condensed version, but you should get the picture. Alot of people get bent out of shape about the quint VS. traditional, but as you can see, at least in our case, the only real difference is all of our engines have aerials on them. Occasionaly an engine might have to act as a truck if they are 2nd in. Thats the only real difference. If multiple alarms are struck, they send more Hook&Ladders.

GFPD asked earlier if StL move to quints to be progressive or for budget constraints. I would say if we went back to the traditional way, we would have plenty of engines, and would have to come up with 5 or 6 ADDITIONAL Hook&Ladders. So it's not like we would have to double everything we have.

What we really are short on is Medic units. We have 12, and could really use 24. Some Medic unis go on as many as 20 runs in a 24/period. Our M10 runs over 6,000 runs a year.

The quint concept seems to work for us, I don't believe it would work for everybody. It still requires plenty of manpower, equipment, good water supply system, and other resources. If you only run 2 man engines out of a couple stations w/sparatic water supply I wouldnt reccomend it.

Forum Member

Thanks for answering fieldseng.

Thread Information