Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: St Louis

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay, thanks giweff. Hopefully my letter will be here today.

Forum Member

Just got my letter today, have the afternoon test on the 19th.

Again, good luck to everybody and thanks for all the info fieldseng.

MembersZone Subscriber

i'm at 8:30 on july 19. anyone from the area know of any nearby hotels? im from milwaukee and dont want to have to start driving at midnight. :/

MembersZone Subscriber

Got my letter today!!! I will be there testing so about ride alongs who would you recommend we contact do they even offer them? and have we heard a a total # who applied?

MembersZone Subscriber

To all those needing a place to stay while you test,

Your best bet in my opinion is to check with hotels in Illinois. I live right across the river in Cahokia, we have a holiday inn express, it's about a 10 min drive to downtown. Considering the time of year you should have no problem getting a room cheap.

Just thought you guys could use the info

I'll be testing with you guys as well, looking forward to it and good luck to all.

I got mine the other day. I go at 8:30 on the 20th. Ride alongs would be cool.

MembersZone Subscriber

They having four tests? and have we gotten a total # of applications?

MembersZone Subscriber fieldseng2's Avatar

have we gotten a total # of applications?
    Still trying to find out....

MembersZone Subscriber

fieldseng

I'm curious to know

How long after they say..."you're hired", do you start the academy? For instance when will the next academy be for this round of hires?

How long after they say..."you're hired", do you start the academy?

As soon as the entire class gets thru w/their physicals, background checks, etc. Probably a month or two.

For instance when will the next academy be for this round of hires?

I would think it's unlikely there will be another class until the new list comes out. I couldn't give you a good guess how soon they would pull a class off that list, but it will definatley be needed. What you need to understand there is no regular schedule of new recruit classes. That is, sometimes classes do not run right after another.

I can tell you that off the current list there has been 5 classes ranging from 20-30 recruits in each class. I believe they went thru 200-300 off the list to get those recruits.

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you happen to know how many were on that list?(the last one)

And how long is the list usually good for?

Do you happen to know how many were on that list?(the last one)
    I dont know for sure, but if I would have to guess around 600-700.

And how long is the list usually good for?
    There are a few screwy things going on here right now. I tested 3 years ago, and I believe the list before me started 6 years before.

So as of now, you can be just about anywhere on the list, and you still have a chance.

MembersZone Subscriber

fieldseng or anyone else...

Are there any fire houses near the convention center? I'm coming in from Milwaukee a day early and was hoping to possibly visit one if I have some free time.

Another few questions...

Does St. Louis usually only hire people with a lot of experience?

Are they big in hiring minorities and women? Or is is usually about even?

Is their physical test the CPAT or their own PAT?

Thanks.

Forum Member

I'm coming in from Florida a day early as well(testing Thursday coming in tomorrow) and am thinking about just exploring a bit of the city, any hot spots to check out(could be anything, doesn't necessarily have to be firehouse related)?

Also, just want to give one more Good Luck to everybody going out for the test.

MembersZone Subscriber

My recommendation would be Rigazzis if your looking for some good italian food. It's located in an area known as the "the hill" which features quite a few italian restaurants, shops, and grocery stores that make the area pretty unique.

Hopefully someone who knows the area a little better will chime in, but thats my recommendation for a good lunch/dinner.

http://www.saucemagazine.com/rigazzis/

Good Luck,

Bobby

Hey guys,

I'll try to answer questions as best I can. Let me say a few things before I begin.

1st GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF A YOU! It's a great job!

2nd Unforfunately, I have to give you a little disclaimer about the biz here right now. I think it would be OK for anyone to drop by a firehouse and talk to the fellas, but I must warn you there is a lot of tension, and some disgruntled guys. There has been a 4 year battle over promotions, which should end very soon. I doubt anyone would be rude to you, actually the worst you could expect is they might try to encourage you to go somewhere else "better". It sucks about the promotions, but it's still a good job here. So, take that in stride, and concentrate on the business you have to take care of this week.....

Now on with the questions.............

Are there any fire houses near the convention center? I'm coming in from Milwaukee a day early and was hoping to possibly visit one if I have some free time.
    Not within walking distance really. The center kind of sits on the border of a couple of Still Districts. Engine 2 (Union No. 2) is on Tucker and Spruce along with H&L 6, B2. The Shops and old training tower are behind the 2's. If you walk about 2-3 blocks East on Spruce, you will run right into the Stan Musial Statue at Busch Stadium. I would say yuo could come visit me, but my oldest turns 13 on Friday and we will be out of town. That would be the best house to visit downtown.

Does St. Louis usually only hire people with a lot of experience?
    Are they big in hiring minorities and women? Or is is usually about even?
    I'm told experience will help you, I don't know for sure. In my recruit class there were 4 of us that came from different departments. We were in the 2nd class off the list. As far as hiring minorities and women go, it's an even playing field now. 1 for 1 is gone. Full-time citty emploees get 5 extra points instead for hiring priority now. So if you are on your game, you have a pretty good shot.

Is their physical test the CPAT or their own PAT?
    My test was a modified "Combat Challenge", but i hear they may be giving the CPAT this time. I also hear they have hired an outside firm to do the whole testing process to keep some chronic complainers off their back, and keep it from being biased.

I'm coming in from Florida a day early as well(testing Thursday coming in tomorrow) and am thinking about just exploring a bit of the city, any hot spots to check out(could be anything, doesn't necessarily have to be firehouse related)?
    -Ragazzis is good, actually, anything on "The Hill" is good.

-Check out "The Landing" in the evening. Lots of good resturants and stuff.It's the earliest settlement in St. Louis right on the river front just North of the Arch.

-The Arch is cool of it's a clear day, and there is a pretty cool musem below the Arch.

-We have one of the best zoos in the world, located in Forest Park. Also a world class Science Center.

-Check out historic Union Staion located downtown on Market Street. Vist the Fudge Factory near the rear entrance.

- Out of towners....when you are dining out, you have to try toasted ravioli.

-Lots of good bar/grills in Soulard, and one of the oldest open air markets in the country.

-You can't complete a trip to StL w/out a visit to Ted Drewes located in south city on Cippewa. It's a famous frozen custard stand on historic Route 66.

Hey...gotta run my kid to a Dr. appointment. All of these and more can be found in StLouis Magazine that should be in your hotel room. I'll try to give more ideas later...any questions drop me a line.

Good luck, be safe.......................... ....................
    Last edited by fieldseng2; 07-18-2007 at 09:29 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Toasted raz, Ted Drew, and who could forget about IMO's They are all must haves.

MembersZone Subscriber

So I got some of that toasted ravioli delivered to my hotel room last night. DELICIOUS! haha

I'm feeling pretty decent about the test. I'm not sure about the first part with the situations since there were so many answers that seemed right during that, but the Math, Reading, and Mechanical sections were pretty easy.

They said 1300 applications came in.(WAY less than I expected) Then they said usually about 300-400 pass and move on to the PAT. On the information sheet we filled out they had a score card thing. After PAT they had physical exam and background check, but didn't see an interview anywhere in there. Well good luck to those who tested.

IAFF3904

Default Test

Okay, was I the only that was shocked about all the people that didn't bring X2 pencils, photo I.D., letters and still able to test, futhermore didn't even turn their phones off!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Yea what was that about!

I agree with you, it seemed that the instructions were easy to follow and there was so many that didnít. I tested for Seattle last year and the give the same test (first portion) so if you have a level head about you no worries. I hope you all did well and I make it to the next round. I was also surprised by the few people in the process but even some of those folks could not follow directions. And who doesnít bring a photo I.D? Well if nothing else it was could practice and I hope I see you all at the next step.

Thread Information