+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 29 First ... 4567891017 ... Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: St Louis

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd feel dumb if I didn't pass as well. However, I feel confident because they said that most people failed the math and reading which was extremely easy in my eyes. The only part I wasn't sure about was the video scenarios because a couple seemed to have more than one right answer, and you don't know what they are looking for. I heard though that they have a few correct options for each question which makes me feel better.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

They are concidering (if they re-test) lowering the passing score from 70% to 40%.

Sleep well St. Louis!

MembersZone Subscriber

what?!?! I thought the new personal guy said he did NOT want to dumb down the test. This is if they re-test? Or would it be if they keep the current test?

MembersZone Subscriber

2nd that!!!

Sleep Well St. Louis

MembersZone Subscriber

They are concidering (if they re-test) lowering the passing score from 70% to 40%

I told all of you guys to keep your cool. That was mentioned on a news cast about a month ago BEFORE George was demoted.

There is ALOT of other MAJOR $h!t coming down the pipe.

Stay calm, stay cool. Don't believe every little thing you hear.

It's not real until it actually happens.

Talking Good Riddance!

As a guy who tested for the STLFD and got bumped a few times because I did not have the right color skin, it was indeed a sweet pleasure to see the biggest racist in the STLFD get the boot!

I always thought the city got what they deserved when they promoted on the basis of skin color instead of competency. It was real sad for me to find out in order to get enough blacks for my academy class they had to go down the list to over 150 candidates to find enough black guys who could pass the **** test. Until the other racists (FIRE) get the boot, the STLFD is still going to have problems.

I say throw out all the tests and rate all candidates and promotions based on competency and character. Then you will have a fire department who can rightfully say they are "justifyably proud".

Chief Svetanics came to the job with a vision... Sherman George came to the job with an agenda!

Congratulations and best wishes!

Angry

The St. Louis entry test has been officially thrown out. Sorry to those of you who spent your time and money on this exam.

10:45 PM CDT on Thursday, October 11, 2007

Watch News 4 coverage

Related story: Fire Department denies race, politics involved in thrown out tests

(KMOV) - Chief George may be gone, but the controversy over race and testing continues to rage within the fire department.

News 4 has learned that Mayor Francis Slay Thursday agreed to throw out results of the fire department's latest disputed entrance exam.

News 4 has also obtained the test results the city first tried to suppress.

St. Louis Personnel Director Richard Frank more than a month ago discussed July's controversial firefighter entrance exam.

The test used a video format, and Frank said more than 70-percent of applicants failed the test.

He said that's why he sent out a letter informing applicants he was throwing out the results as invalid.

News 4 has since obtained the tests and analyzed the test results.

They show a clear disparity among the 327 African Americans and 425 whites that took the exam.

While they performed almost identically in the human relations section of the test, in the mechanical aptitude section, whites scored 15 points higher. They scored 11 points higher on reading and 10-points higher on math.

Despite Frank's initial concerns about adverse impact on minority applicants late last month Mayor Slay asked Frank to see if the results could still somehow be implemented.

Notices are expected to go out next week to all the candidates who took the July test that a new test will be offered in early November.

The personnel department says it will not use a videotape format, but an old-fashion paper and pencil.

No one has been able to come up with an answer as to why African American candidates did so poorly on this test.

Forum Member

Just curious if anybody has gotten their letter yet about retesting and if so any of you out-of-towners planning on retesting? Its a tough call for me, it's hard to miss my classes and throwing the money out there for another test that might or might not be used is hard to justify. Just wondering what other peoples plans are.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think I'm going to go again. I'll have to drive this time though.

Haven't gotten my letter yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

So shouldn't we have gotten letters yet? I mean if they are testing in the beginning of Nov, then we kind of have to know soon if we are from out of state.

EDIT: I just called to check and the guy that I talked to said that they haven't scheduled it yet. He said that they are still working on scheduling a firm that can administer the test. He was the first guy that I ever talked to that gave me real information.
    Last edited by clark918; 10-29-2007 at 10:59 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I doubt you see anything happen until there is a new chief anyway. The mayor said a new chief will be named by the end of October/the first part of November. So anytime now.

And yes....they are looking for a company that can put a test together that has a good history.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think the history matters as much as the people who were taking the test. I didn't see anything wrong with the first test.

MembersZone Subscriber

There probably wasn't anything wrong the test, but history seems to matter here. They are looking for a company that has the least law suits against them regarding racial impact. Good luck to them with that.

Most people have conceeded who the new chief will be, but I've been in this business long enough to know that you believe it when it actually happens. If it is who they say it will.....it will be the beginning of a new era for the StLFD and well worth the wait.

MembersZone Subscriber

That is good to hear I know you guys deserve it. I can't wait to take the test again. Thanks for the info and keep it coming.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Testing

I have taken that same test at two other dept. and either depts. had ever had this much trouble. One dept. larger and one smaller. So I dont think the test had anything to do with as much as the people running the show does. i am still up in the air about retesting, I am currently in the process with two other dept. and if I get the badge from either one I will not be retesting. Good luck to all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not sure if anyone ever mentioned this, but ex-chief Sherman George retired 10 days after his demotion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQRldMUvswE

Forum Member

Thumbs up

ATTENTION....

Letters are arriving.
    Testing is December 15, 2007. Several testing times on this date. Be there, or better chances for those who want the job.

Thank You.

Remember:
    Bring yourself and an ID
    Bring 2 Pencils
    And when they tell you to turn your cell phone off, turn it off. I got other things to do.

That is all.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm at 8:00 AM.

Unless I can get a discounted air ticket, it looks like I will be driving this time. I'll have to spend the night since I don't want to drive all night long, then take the test so I'll probably be in the same hotel as last time.

I'll look up the name for those interested, but the one I stayed in was great. Well it was actually a ****hole, but it was cheap. haha It was under $100. The cab driver saw my bill on the sheet I gave him with the address. He didn't even believe the price. He said it's usually at least $200 a night in the downtown area. It was also only about a 5 minute walk from the convention center.

Good luck to the rest of you that got through this whole thing as well.

Also to one of you already on the job... someone mentioned something in a post earlier about the difficulty to get on. They said that unless you go through the promotion(EMS to Fire), you really don't have a shot. Any info on that? Thanks.

O and I'm already excited for that deep fried ravioli that someone convinced me to try last time. haha

MembersZone Subscriber

Being on EMS (or any other city department) means nothing right now as far as getting priority hiring. They did away with that rule about a year or 2 ago.

But, the future is unimaginable right now. Especially how the list will be put together.

What I mean by that is....City Hall will offically announce our new CFD a week from today. (www.ksdk.com)

Chief Jenkerson is a highly respected (by just about EVERYONE), progressive/aggressive officer. Anyone would consider themselves luck to be led under his command.

Be prepared for a lot of changes...for the good. I can only speculate at this moment what to expect as far as hiring procedures, what the next academy classes will be like, and how recruits will be assigned when they graduate.

Hang on to your hats........StLFD might finally being rising fromits rut

MembersZone Subscriber

That's good news. If I make it through everything and get hired, it sounds like it would be a great time for that to happen.

Anyone else from here going to the test? Also, is there any word on what this test will be like?

MembersZone Subscriber

It sounds like SLFD is heading in the right direction. I am planning on taking the test 12:30 on the 15th. Good luck to everyone and any idea of how the test is going to be would be much appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is the new boss and what he has to say........

http://www.myfoxstl.com/myfox/pages/...Y&pageId=1.1.1

I like this one better:

http://www.kmov.com/video/topvideo-i...ml?nvid=194322
    Last edited by fieldseng2; 11-19-2007 at 09:29 PM.

Forum Member

Default sample of the test

Iím planning on taking the test on the 15th. does anyone have an idea what kind of content will be on the test.# of questions,? time allowed? I assume mechanical reasoning, math, reading comprehension, and memory. are they going to use the same test that they used in July?

any help is appreciated.
    thanks, and good luck to everyone taking the test.

Forum Member

Default what to execpt

anyone have an idea what's going to be on the written test, i assume mecahnical reasoning, math, reading comprehension, personality based questions,
    then after the written how soon is the is the cpat?
    and is there a oral interview?
    also I'am in the process of getting my emt-i what are the chances of getting hired with emt-i. anyone know how many they plan on hiring?
    is there link to the testing process?

thanks for the help

Forum Member

if you pass the written, when is the the cpat?
    anyone know what to expect on the written?
    i assume math, mechanial reasoning, reading, personality

also what are the chances of getting hired with emt-i? how many do they plan on hiring?

if this is a repost i aplogize
    thanks,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 29 First ... 4567891017 ... Last

Thread Information