Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: St Louis

MembersZone Subscriber

Did anyone receive a letter yet about retaking the exam?

MembersZone Subscriber fieldseng2's Avatar

"ALL COMPANIES STAND BY!!!! ALL COMPANIES STAND BY!!!"

Chief Sherman George has been demoted!!

REPEATING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chief Sherman George has been demoted!!

Deputy Chief Steven Kotroba has been appointed the interim Chief of Department until the process to select the next permanant CFD takes place.

Chief Kotroba stated on the 5pm news promotions for Captain and Battalion Chief will take place within the week.

I wouldn't disrgard your test from bein thrown out at this point, but I wouldn't rule out it being used as is at this point either.

Stay tuned for updates!

http://www.myfoxstl.com/myfox/pages/...Y&pageId=1.1.1

http://www.myfoxstl.com/myfox/pages/...Y&pageId=1.1.1

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_articl...SQjCTCbvh7g%3D

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, great news. Is there an email that you know of where I could contact either the Director of Personal or the new fire chief directly? I'm sure that they are at least considering using those tests. It cost them a lot of money. As well as the fact that they may lost some great candidates because they can not afford to come test again. The only reason I'm wasting my money to come all the way from Wisconsin again is because the director or personal was fired. This situation with the chief also really helps.

I would stand by until the dust settles before contacting them.

Give the new man a chance to unleash his agenda.

He is a good man. He will do everything in his own powers to do the right thing.
    Last edited by fieldseng2; 10-01-2007 at 10:58 PM.

Forum Member

Just glad a good man is leading the department now.

Chief Kotraba is a fair man and is a straight shooter.

Hang tight on questioning anyone about testing. Let Chief Kotraba get these long overdue promotions through and a permanant Chief is named (October 30, 2007), hopefully Chief Kotraba remains as the permanant Chief. If nothing is said by end of October, be patient and wait a little longer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea you guys are right. I'm just getting really impatient right now. I was looking at testing with LAFD, but don't want to spend the money if this all works out. I also just got reciprocity for an EMT license for New York. I was thinking of going out there and working FDNY EMS for a few years, and then try to get on the fire dept. Only problem is I wouldn't want to give up fire for that long. Hopefully everything will work out great in the next few months.

MembersZone Subscriber

Congrats on your new Batallion Chiefs.

http://www.ksdk.com/video/default.as...17&bw=hi&cat=3

Forum Member

Default Bravo!!!!

Congrats on your new Batallion Chiefs.

http://www.ksdk.com/video/default.as...17&bw=hi&cat=3

Congrats to one of our candidates BC Gail Simmons seen in the video. BC Simmons placed 5th on the previous BC test and 2nd on this round of testing.

Nothing counts til you get the badge . . . Nothing!

Captain Bob

MembersZone Subscriber

Default That would suck!

It would suck if all of us talking about STL didnít pass the test, man this thread would be dead. LOL I hope all that did pass and If I was one of the ones that didnít pass no one would ever know LOL. I also wanted to get this thread back to the first page. Good luck and each new day brings even more reason to get out of STL process. I mean wow to have such large dept. and so many problems with race! It seems almost as bad as DC Fire, did every body hear about the two captains going to the meeting in the uniforms and driving dept. cars. Holy crap the demotion has nothing to do with race and everything to do with not following orders, and yes even the chief is held accountable.
    Have a great weekend and stay safe.

Actually,

The only group that makes race out of anything are some of the F.I.R.E. leaders....

Just about everyone in the firehouses get along just fine, those that don't is usually two personalities that don't gel...not one race over the other.....

And when the bell hits...all that crap is out the window and everyone does their job.

It was time for a change.....and it has finally come...eventually even the best chief needs to know when it is time to go.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'd feel dumb if I didn't pass as well. However, I feel confident because they said that most people failed the math and reading which was extremely easy in my eyes. The only part I wasn't sure about was the video scenarios because a couple seemed to have more than one right answer, and you don't know what they are looking for. I heard though that they have a few correct options for each question which makes me feel better.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

They are concidering (if they re-test) lowering the passing score from 70% to 40%.

Sleep well St. Louis!

MembersZone Subscriber

what?!?! I thought the new personal guy said he did NOT want to dumb down the test. This is if they re-test? Or would it be if they keep the current test?

MembersZone Subscriber

2nd that!!!

Sleep Well St. Louis

They are concidering (if they re-test) lowering the passing score from 70% to 40%

I told all of you guys to keep your cool. That was mentioned on a news cast about a month ago BEFORE George was demoted.

There is ALOT of other MAJOR $h!t coming down the pipe.

Stay calm, stay cool. Don't believe every little thing you hear.

It's not real until it actually happens.

Talking Good Riddance!

As a guy who tested for the STLFD and got bumped a few times because I did not have the right color skin, it was indeed a sweet pleasure to see the biggest racist in the STLFD get the boot!

I always thought the city got what they deserved when they promoted on the basis of skin color instead of competency. It was real sad for me to find out in order to get enough blacks for my academy class they had to go down the list to over 150 candidates to find enough black guys who could pass the **** test. Until the other racists (FIRE) get the boot, the STLFD is still going to have problems.

I say throw out all the tests and rate all candidates and promotions based on competency and character. Then you will have a fire department who can rightfully say they are "justifyably proud".

Chief Svetanics came to the job with a vision... Sherman George came to the job with an agenda!

Congratulations and best wishes!

Angry

The St. Louis entry test has been officially thrown out. Sorry to those of you who spent your time and money on this exam.

10:45 PM CDT on Thursday, October 11, 2007

Watch News 4 coverage

Related story: Fire Department denies race, politics involved in thrown out tests

(KMOV) - Chief George may be gone, but the controversy over race and testing continues to rage within the fire department.

News 4 has learned that Mayor Francis Slay Thursday agreed to throw out results of the fire department's latest disputed entrance exam.

News 4 has also obtained the test results the city first tried to suppress.

St. Louis Personnel Director Richard Frank more than a month ago discussed July's controversial firefighter entrance exam.

The test used a video format, and Frank said more than 70-percent of applicants failed the test.

He said that's why he sent out a letter informing applicants he was throwing out the results as invalid.

News 4 has since obtained the tests and analyzed the test results.

They show a clear disparity among the 327 African Americans and 425 whites that took the exam.

While they performed almost identically in the human relations section of the test, in the mechanical aptitude section, whites scored 15 points higher. They scored 11 points higher on reading and 10-points higher on math.

Despite Frank's initial concerns about adverse impact on minority applicants late last month Mayor Slay asked Frank to see if the results could still somehow be implemented.

Notices are expected to go out next week to all the candidates who took the July test that a new test will be offered in early November.

The personnel department says it will not use a videotape format, but an old-fashion paper and pencil.

No one has been able to come up with an answer as to why African American candidates did so poorly on this test.

Forum Member

Just curious if anybody has gotten their letter yet about retesting and if so any of you out-of-towners planning on retesting? Its a tough call for me, it's hard to miss my classes and throwing the money out there for another test that might or might not be used is hard to justify. Just wondering what other peoples plans are.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think I'm going to go again. I'll have to drive this time though.

Haven't gotten my letter yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

So shouldn't we have gotten letters yet? I mean if they are testing in the beginning of Nov, then we kind of have to know soon if we are from out of state.

EDIT: I just called to check and the guy that I talked to said that they haven't scheduled it yet. He said that they are still working on scheduling a firm that can administer the test. He was the first guy that I ever talked to that gave me real information.
    Last edited by clark918; 10-29-2007 at 09:59 AM.

Thread Information