Like Tree3Likes

Thread: St Louis

Forum Member

Hey guys, my test time is 08:00 on the 15th. How many others are going to retake the test. See everbody there.

Forum Member

Hey brennanutt, what I've heard it won't be the same written test as July, I wasn't their for that one though. Where did you hear about the cpat? I've heard in the past StL FD has thier own pat. Maybe that has changed. Do you know fieldseng2 what test is going to be used. But brennanutt my time is at 8 AM on the 15th. I will be coming in from out of state the day before and staying with a friend of mine up there.

Forum Member

Who said anything about the CPAT? The city has always used a modified test that doesn't resemble the CPAT.

Missouri doesnt recognize the EMT-I. Its either basic or medic.

Expect the test to be easier than the easier test in June. There will probably be less people than who took the test the last time. If there was 900, maybe 600 or 700 will be there. The list is usually good for several years and will do academies as needed.

My personal opinion is that they give preferential spots to people who already poses firefighting certificates, EMT license and college credits/degrees. IF that was ever done, they should shorten the academy to seveal weeks, instead of 14+ weeks of classroom education to be told how to put your gear on, tie a knot, basic first aid, adjust a nozzle and roll a locking twin donut roll. Not to mention, sit through a week of HAZMAT. If they hired people with education already in the field they know that they will not waste their time training and the get them on the track ASAP, instead of paying OT and shutting down engine companies for the day. For the out of state firefighters, you could have the IFSTA manual and state fire I/II program and could technically "test out", as you can show that you can tie a bowline, fold a tarp, put an SCBA on, flow water from an 1 3/4 in. line.

At least you get paid while you go to the academy and are gauarunteed a job and a station assignment when you graduate.

Forum Member

thanks for the responses. i'am also testing at 8:am. i did'nt take the test in july either. on the stl fire website it says if successfully pass the written exam you will be given info on the physical agility test. then if you pass both exams you will be placed on the list based on your combined scores of each test.
    any one know anything about the physical agility test, and when it will be?
    i to will be coming from out of town, although i was born and raised in stl for 24 years. are you guys studying mechainal reasoning, b/c on the upcoming las vegas fire test there is no mechanial reasoning. but i will go ahead and study for everything.
    i have my emt-b emt-i is like the Basic but you can start iv and you can admin more drugs. i also have a four degree.

let me know if i can help you out with anything about the city.

MembersZone Subscriber

There wasn't much to study for on the last one. In my opinion, if you failed the math or reading section on that easy of a test, you shouldn't be trusted to save someone's life. Those sections(the most failed) were a complete joke.

Hopefully the certs will help out now with this new chief. He seems like he isn't going to give preference to any race. It would save SO much money to hire EMTs. Otherwise they take someone based on race with a low test score, and the person either fails at the academy or doesn't get their EMT license within the year required.

I'll be there testing at 8:00. Hopefully it's worth the time this go around. I'll be making the drive from Wisconsin since I don't have the money to fly after I wasted it on the most pointless test of my life last time. : /

There is good news though! The Packers will be playing in St Louis the day after! So I might just stay down there for an extra night and watch the game. I'm sure tickets won't be too expensive over there. Not with a team like the Rams. haha

MembersZone Subscriber

I have not heard what kind of ability test will be given. I'll see what I can find out on that.

As far as the written goes...nobody is saying. The one I took was retarded. No math, no mechanical apptitude, or anything like that. Only two parts...reading comprehension, and self evaluation. Just be ready for anything.

Be patient fellas...this is only the tip of the ice berg. Nothing is going to happen over night. Without a doubt, our new chief is being watched. There are still groups, factions, and the like criticizing and carefully observing his every move...no matter how noble and good for the StLFD.

By the time you are finally placed on the list, and the lucky ones that are appointed....you folks will see a lot of changes going on. Certainly the fire academy will be nothing like it has been in the past few years.

We had a district meeting with our Battalion Chief yesterday. He filled us in on some of Chief Jenkerson's plans and ideas for the department. I'm not sure what's public knowledge yet, but I can assure you everything was very positive, progressive, and innovative. A good majority seem pretty excited and inquisitive about everything. This could bring the StLFD out of the ashes, and be a highly esteemed fire department once again....And everyone lucky enough to wear that red patch can truly say the are "Justifiably Proud"!

One thing I can tell you. There will be another recruit class off of the current list. They are interviewing a class of 20 right now. So if you are on the current list you still might have a shot this go around....

The reason you ask? I'm not 100% sure, but the rumor I heard was the previous administration "passed over" several very well qualified candidates.....most had a combination of FF I/II, emt or paramedic, other certs, and some with college degrees. According to what I've heard....the previous guy claimed "they did not interview well." A majority of them were a certain demographic that was not the same as the previous guy.

Once again boys and girls...be patient. The man has been in command barely a few weeks. Some things will take time to straighten out. But...I can tell you if you choose to take on the challange it will be well worth your efforts. Get what ever training, certs you can (FF I/II, EMT, Paramedic ), and if you have time and money go to school. This very well could be helpful to you in the very near future.

Good luck on the 15th. Any questions you have in the meantime and there after I will answer as best as I can.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the update as always.

Anyone going to that orientation thing on Monday or Tuesday? I really want to, but I can't afford to make an extra trip down there. Especially with all of my final exams for college.

If anyone goes, I would really appreciate a PM with any info that you are willing to give up. Thanks.

IAFF3904

I'll be there the 11th. I'll PM when it's done.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks a lot man.

Forum Member

PDRI is the testing firm. They have been used here in the STLFD in the past and seem to have a better passing ratio. There is NO video testing. It is in a booklet and it's at your pace. There is basic stuff that you have seen on other tests. But if you thought the FireTeam test was easy, this will be easier. They are expecting to give results by 3rd week in Jan. Do the physical nearly immediatly after the results are mailed. There will be one practice day within a week of the REAL test. There is NO CPAT. It is basic, stairs, hose, pull a chainsaw 9 times, bang a sledge on the wall, drag a dummy. They are hoping to have everything wrapped up by the end of April with hopefully immediatly commencing a class from the new list. They want to put 300-400 on a list. Usually runs 2 years. But, the 2003 list was extended until this date as they have taken the last off of the list to make one last class, while this new testing is being administered.

The meeting was 35 minutes, so be glad you didnt waste the time.
    The only additional points scored (5) is for being a current city employee.

I anticipate a 50/50 pass/fail. They have not disclosed the testing wights but will be disclosed later. There will be roughly the same number as before who will test. That is why I assume you have a 50% chance of passing.

That is all.
    Back to the job.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks a lot for the info! Glad I didn't drive 6 hours for the 35 minute meeting. Few questions though for the current St Louis guys:

Is that the same test that you guys had? Seems easier than the CPAT. If it is the same, is there a score? Or is it just pass/fail?

How good are the chances of getting on if making the list of 300-400 people? How many are taken on average every year?

Also, I knew earlier that it showed no interview in the process. However, I recently saw something(I think on here, but don't have time to look right now) about interviewing the guys on this recent list before starting the academy.

Thanks again!

Forum Member

thanks for the info!
    did they say what exactly what kind of basic stuff was going to be on the written test? b/c i know some test have more reading comp. than math or vice versa. some test have alot of personality/traits questions, and some don't have any. some test have mechanical reasoning with tool recgoniton,

thanks again
    brennan

Forum Member

The physical is MUCH easier than the CPAT. You get 9 minutes. It should take people who are in decent physical shape to do it in half the time. There are 3 scores for the physical, good/middle/low. There is an interview later. The scores are accumulated, this sat. test/physical/interview and then background and then the rankings are out. Obviously, the better you do on evrything, the higher you go on the rankings. Like I said, the lists are USUALLY good for 2 years. But with all of the BS going on over the past few years, the list of several hundred has just been exausted. Don't be suprised that if there are 300 on a list and they have gone through 250 people and then 2 years has come up, the list is extended to give the 50 others a chance to go through. You have to take into account that it is pretty expensive to put on a test. So the better they (the city) fair, and the longer the list is, the longer they can go before they have to purchase and execute another test(s). It was noted that there was 833 who took the test in June, 150 who applied after the fiasco and applications were opened for 2 more weeks. I forsee about the same number, if not less than 800 who attend. Thats where I got my 50/50 shot number.

The positive thing is that there will be more officer positions added over the next few years along with more promotions. With the delay of promotions, there will be more retirements over the next few years. They will put on more firefighters, to keep the OT costs down. I don't forsee any issues with getting through the entire hiring list. Just remember, not everyone on the list will take the job and not everyone who goes to the academy will pass. There are 25 who start an academy, sometimes there are as few as 10 who finish. If you make the list, Id advise that you go get your EMT license and get a head start on that.

As for the content in the test. There is NO math. It is basic comprehension. There is no mechanical aspect that I can recall, like what was included in the video test.
    Last edited by FFMFS22; 12-11-2007 at 01:01 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks. Is St Louis's academy more difficult than most? Or is it just that some people join and have no idea what they are getting themselves into? I'm fairly confident that I could make it through the academy. I have FF1 and EMT-B. Within the next few weeks, I will of completed my FF2 and HazMat-Technician. So I will have of the certs that I would get there already.

I think that it is stupid not to have math. It's something that firefighters use. Especially if it's as basic as that last test. The mechanical part of that one seemed fine too. I really think that it was a decent test. haha

Is there a video or detailed instructions online of the PAT that anyone knows of? Just curious about the times and reps.

For some reason I feel more confident about this city than anywhere else. It's partly because of the fact that so many failed an easier test. Also because only 300-400 should be making the list.

Thanks for the info again.

MembersZone Subscriber

hey clark ,
    where are you heading down from in wisconsin? im taking off from fort atkinson. just 15 minutes north of janesville if you didnt know. im gonna go down and back saturday cause i gotta be back on the ambulance in milwaukee sunday morning.

MembersZone Subscriber

clark,
    nevermind you got an am test i got a pm. good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

The positive thing is that there will be more officer positions added over the next few years along with more promotions
    I haven't heard of any "new" officer positions being added. I do know they are attempting to fill all the vacant ones and keep them filled. We just had another Captain promoted to Battalion Chief.

If I understood Chief Jenkerson correctly, all the proposed changes will be made with the current alloted manpower.

Is there a video or detailed instructions online of the PAT that anyone knows of? Just curious about the times and reps.
    No one knows that I've talked to what physical ability test is going to be used. The one I took is like what FFMFS22 described. I would call it a modified Combat Challange with the three rankings FFMFS22 stated. I've never seen a video that shows this test.

Is St Louis's academy more difficult than most? Or is it just that some people join and have no idea what they are getting themselves into?
    Academically it will be a little less stressful if you have all you're certs. If you're from out of state, check to see if your certs are IFSAC acredited. Otherwise you'll still have to take the state exams.

If you are not in prime physical conditioning you will a very tough time. The academy here is extremely physically demanding. Lots, and lots, and lots, and lots, and lots of pushups. Lots, and lots, and lots, and lots, and lots of running up and down the tower (8 stories) in and out of gear.

Don't sell yourself short get in shape now. Don't think for a minute you won't get canned for poor performance.

Getting the cart a little ahead of the horse here. Gotta get you guys on the list 1st. By the time they start pulling names off this next list the structure of the fire academy will not be the same as in the past 5-6 classes.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm from WI which is IFSAC. That means if I get it officially accreddited or however it works, I could skip the tests? That would be awesome if I made it to the academy. One less this to worry about.

The way everyone is talking about this chief, I am really excited for this test. Especially if it moves as fast as they said that they want it to.

jeremy... I'm going Friday. Otherwise I'd say we should carpool as well. Good luck though!

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm from WI which is IFSAC. That means if I get it officially accreddited or however it works, I could skip the tests? That would be awesome if I made it to the academy. One less this to worry about.
    You will not have to take the state exams, but you will still have to take the daily/weekly exams for the academy. You still have to pass the academy academically.

Forum Member

Wink

Unless.... I'll leave that alone.

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unless.... I'll leave that alone
    I hear what you are saying. Had that problem in my class big time. But, new sherriff in town. Lot's of things will be done different.

MembersZone Subscriber

So I have a completely unrelated question.

I'm staying at the EconoLodge directly across the street from the Edward James Dome. The freeway runs through the middle. I went outside to get a soda at about midnight and saw a squad car pull up in the area. I walk to the balcony to take a look and like a block to the south I see about 15 squads parked. A bunch of cops were out directing traffic and stopping every car to speak with him/her. There was also a bigger command unit looking thing that said DWI. Is this something that they do on weekends to randomly look for drunk drivers? Or was something big going on? Just curious. If it wasn't so cold I'd walk downstairs and talk to one of them. haha

Also, I ordered in from St Louis Pizza & Wings again. Last time I got toasted ravioli and this time hot wings. That place alone makes me want this job. haha The wings were AWESOME.

Well good luck to those of you taking your test tomorrow. I'm really not looking forward to the 6 hour drive home if we get a lot of snow.

Forum Member

Default Sat's Test

Hey guys what did everybody think of the test? I was there Sat. AM and thought it was fairly easy. I was sitting on the fortrh row second seat from the left on the left side if you were facing the front towards the speaker's stand. Hopefully we all make it and we can meet one another at our rookie school, always think positive for us. The PAT seems like it is not as hard as some out there. And who knows about how the interviews will be. Be sure to let everbody know how you did on the test, so if we don't make it we can complain about it. Stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

So what did everyone think about the test? I'm never sure when they have those personality questions. The one test I ever failed(my first one evere for a POC dept) was a personality test. I did pass the second time I took one though. If I did okay on that then I'm 100% sure I passed. The reading comprehension was a joke. There were 48 questions and I thought about the answer for maybe 3 of them. Seemed like a lot more people there. They said about 1000. So as long as I didn't screw up with those personality questions, I will be fine.

I have a question about the PAT though. How does the forcible entry thing work? It's a little confusing on the sheet they gave us. It's just a metal plate sitting flat on the ground?

Thread Information