Like Tree3Likes

Thread: St Louis

MembersZone Subscriber

Default St Louis

Starting pay is $35,361.00. Top Pvt pay is over 50K. Pension based on your last 2 years of service + time on the job. We've got a few issues here, but all in all its a great job.

http://stlcin.missouri.org/OnlineJob...?OpeningID=754
    Last edited by fieldseng2; 04-19-2007 at 06:12 PM.

Forum Member

Hello fieldseng I have a couple questions and was wondering if you could help me out here. I'm 18 years old and will be graduating May 24th. On the online application it says the minimum Age is 18 years old but on the St Louis FD website it said 21, has that one just not been updated yet? Also, the online registration is due May 18th, I won't be getting my diploma before that does that mean I'm out of luck and would have to try again next time? I know that being so young already hurts my chances of getting hired but I figure, if I have the opportunity to take the test for a bigger city department I would love the opportunity and hopefully the best could possibly happen. Thanks for any help and for bringing the application to my attention!

MembersZone Subscriber

The 18-33 age range is hot off the presses!

They changed this back due to hiring too many 50-60 y/o recruits that would/could never work until retirement age, and/or not passing the academy/probation. As long as your in the 18-33 range, your age will not help or hinder you. There are several guys on the job that were hired when they were 18. Some are even Chiefs!

As far as your diploma...Im not 100% sure. I will try to find out for you. In the mean time....

If I recall, you won't need a copy of your diploma until you are actually hired.

There is a place to add remarks in the education section of the application. I would explain when you are graduating, and will receive a diploma. I doubt this will be an issue. Besides, by the books, you'll have completed high school, and receiving your diploma will be a matter of formality.

You can also call the Department of Personnel Recruitment & Examination at 314-622-4308. Explain your situation to them, and they should be able to tell you what to do.

Any other questions/problems feel free to drop me a line.

Good Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fieldseng2 View Post
    Starting pay is $35,361.00. Top Pvt pay is over 50K. Pension based on your last 2 years of service + time on the job. We've got a few issues here, but all in all its a great job.
    Hey, St. Louis would be a great city to be in. I noticed a couple of things not explained well on the city's web page: there is apparently a residency requirement, but the link to it is broken. Do you have to be a city resident to apply, or just at the time of appointment? Also, one page on the department's site says something about working a 24-on/24-off schedule, but doesn't elaborate. What is the work schedule like for firefighters there?

MembersZone Subscriber

We do have a residency reqquirement. You have to reside within the city when you complete your probationary year (12 months). I believe the official phrase is..... "Within 180 Days AFTER Completion of Your Working Test Period".

I was living in Indiana before I was hired, and a classmate from the academy was from Texas. So, no, you do not have to live here to apply or get hired.

The union is aggressively trying to get it abolished. Time will tell.

We work 24on 24off 24on 24off 24on, the 4 days off and the whole thing starts over. We call them "cycles".

Anything else?? Feel free to ask.

MembersZone Subscriber

Haha I'll ask it.
    Any idea on how many will be hired? How many academies do you usually run a year/ how many in each class.
    List is good for two years I assume? How many tested about when you were hired?
    Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

There have been a lot of guys leaving/retiring....more to follow. Who knows how many they will hire. They have hired over 100 off this list w/an average of 2 classes a year. Class size has been in the 20-30 range.

I have no idea how many were on the list, but I believe they are in the 200-300 range on the list. The list is offically good for 2 years, but they have the option to extend it, which they did for one year. So, the current list is 3 years old, which they will replace when the new one is complete.

I want to say about 1,800 put their aps in.

What else you got?

Forum Member

Can you give us some statistics on the dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

900 Uniformed personnel

30 Engine Companies (ALL 75' quints)

4 Hook&Ladders (2 100' TL, and 2 125' Aerials)

10 ALS Medic units (Staffed mostly by "Non-Suppression" personnel)

2 Rescue Squads

6 Battalion Chiefs

1 Deputy Chief on each shift

Every kind of support vehicle you can think of...

Tech Rescue Task Force

Marine Unit Task Force

HazMat Task Force

3 Staffed firehouses at Lambert International Airport commanded by a Battalion Chief.

Over 100,000 calls for service a year.

Did I leave anything out?

Forum Member

Thank you for the info.
    Last edited by 27Truckie; 04-20-2007 at 04:31 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anytime

Forum Member

What Co are you on? Also I here you guys burn ALOT. Just so you know I am in the Champaign/Urbana IL area and thanking about testing with you guys

MembersZone Subscriber

Im assigned to Engine 7. We are on Jefferson Ave., on the outer edge of downtown.

Yeah...depending what part of town you are, you see plenty of fire.

I've got family in Mahomet. Nice area. I tested for Champaign a few years ago, but I hadnt finished college. So that knocked me out of the running getting on. Just wasn't meant to be I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Pic of most of my 1st Alarm response area. My "Still District" starts after the other side of the hi-rises.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

I live in Mahomet also.

Forum Member

Fieldseng,
    Thank you for all of your help. What kind of written test is given? Also, any idea how many will apply, ballpark to the 1800 mentioned earlier?

MembersZone Subscriber

27Truck...kool...yeah my niece and nephew are Bulldogs! My brother-in-law was happy to hear you'll no longer be a "Dry Town"!

almsfan......No idea about the written test. It is completely different test that I took. This one os video based. My guess it will show a scenerio and you will have to answer questions/how you would handle based on what you watched. I don't know if will be fire based or not, but I doubt it.

Couldn't tell ya how many will apply. But we should hear many do after the deadline.

Forum Member

Fieldseng,
    Cool, thanks. I am an 18 year old, graduating high school in May, and I've never tested for a department, but have studied for the tests before. I'm just trying to decide whether it's worth the drive from KC....

MembersZone Subscriber

If you're looking for a career in the fire sevice the best advice I've been given is test EVERYWHERE AND ANYWHERE you can. The more experience you get testing the better advantage you have, and you'll go to each test with a clearer head.

No one says you have to take the job or keep it even if something else comes along. I've tested several places...probably more than a dozen. I've always did well, but only got the call twice. you may get quckly discouraged if you focus all your time on one department.

Keep your options open!

Forum Member

Will do! Thank you for the advice, I am waiting to start at the local community college Fire Academy for my FF1, FF2, EMT etc...so I figure it can't hurt to test for St. Louis, or anyone...btw, I was in St. Louis last week for spring break, and I have to compliment you guys. I was in Union Station at the Hard Rock and the fire alarm went off and the staff just shrugged it off. A company showed up real quick, and actually checked for fire, unlike some other departments I have seen. The guys were in full gear and SCBAs donned...they were ready. It was really impressive. Thumbs up, lol.

MembersZone Subscriber

What's the staffing like?
    4 on engine, 4 on truck?
    Any "bonus" points besides veterans points?
    Thanks again!

MembersZone Subscriber

Minimum 4 on all Engines and Hook&Ladders, 6 on the squads.

Education/experiance might help you a little.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ive been getting some PMs regarding city employees getting preference over non-city employees....

THIS HAS CHANGED!!!!!!!!!!!!

City employees NO LONGER get hired over non-city employees regardless of their score. They will get 5pts. added to their final score only.

50/50 hiring (1 black for 1 white) is GONE. Although that was pretty much the demographics of my class.

Age limit is 18-33. Previously there was not an age cap.

fieldseng2

Default Stl

Hey

Does Stlfd hire EMT's (not wishing to become firefighters)?

MembersZone Subscriber

Bob - One of your guys left to come to our department in early April. I've heard he's doing a good job.

It's good to hear some of the new guidelines on the test. It used to be nearly impossible to get hired without transferring to the FD from a different city department.

Thread Information