Thread: Boomer

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LT2410 View Post
    Spirit Lake, Iowa has had many of the same issues and it doesn't sound like they are all fixed yet.
    I've also heard that Spirit Lake (The 103 all over Crimson's web site) has had quite a few issues with their 103. It really sounds like you are having the same issues.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SSIaerialmanTIM View Post
    I have seen this offset cylinder design on more than one application in various products (don’t laugh too hard at the picture). It’s a single arm loader. Imagine the stress in that application as well? Yet it was one of the most trouble free loaders of its day. Would two cylinders be better on the Boomer? Maybe – I know I would like it, but I also know the product was targeted at the lowest number of parts possible with a very affordable price for those that can’t afford an aerial device. Hence the progressive design to cut costs.
    Please note that the heel pin pivot point and the base of the lift cylinder are spaced apart considerably more on your loader than on the Boomer. At a low elevation the lift cylinder is trying to rip the boom off of the turntable of the boomer. The heel pin must contain this force before the boom will raise. It looks like the heel pin was able to hold up but the weak weld couldn't handle the stress. Also, with the fabrication being on the same side as the cylinder this force was applied to the weakest point. Perhaps if the cylinder was on the same side as the waterway/boom it might not have been as big of an issue.

I am pretty hard on things that fail and poor quality (you all know that by now I am sure). But just the fact Crimson stepped up to answer right away is a good thing – (I think).

I won’t make excuses for anyone, but I will say that I have seen aerial devices of all makes and models fall victim to “roading” them. In other words – you ain’t seen nothin’ yet. Even those who supposedly have “no failures” have had pivot pins come out, members break, platform buckets actually fall off, etc. Essentially I think this was one of those problems.
    I don't think anyone here would like to be in the bucket of a platform that was considered OK for fireground operation but would "fall victim to roading". I am pretty sure that if a bucket will fall off from driving it around the country, it could very well do so while in service.

Essentially, I don't think that this was "one of those problems". Yes, the other problems mentioned have happened to the best of them. Companies with hundreds of a particular model built with the occasional problem are the norm. That said, here we have an instance of a single unit made that failed. In other words, a 100 percent failure rate.

All those guys I trained over the years (if they are watching this thread) can now see why I always preached “know the condition of your equipment – do frequent visual checks”.

A note: Notice Crimson said above they are going to use radiography (X-ray or gamma ray) as an inspection method in this area on this product. As a CWI and NDT Nutjob, I can tell you this would be WAY above and beyond code requirements – this seems to speak well of their intentions. I know I would not go that far unless needed – and in my professional opinion, I don’t think it’s needed. (and I am a code & quality first stickler, the likes of which you will rarely see). What is needed (depending on joint configuration and thickness) is simply a properly done inspection using magnetic particle (MT) & visual (VT) inspection, by an NDT tech who knows what he is looking at, managed under a first rate QC system & Manager.
    Actually, it sounds more like CYA. Either this unit was built using their standard engineering and test methods or it wasn't. If it wasn't, why not? If it was.......

Now they are bringing out the "technology" to cover their backsides when they should have built it right the first time.

There is no excuse for a huge cold weld to get past a bunch of aerial experts, et alone in such a critical area. It wasn't just the welder that screwed up. In the military there would be some shift in the ranks of the officers.

There isn't enough speed, wieght or force on this little boom to rip out welds or the pin when rotating and stopping hard in either direction. TL
    It is hard to believe this statement was even made. I do not dispute that Tim knows a lot about aerials but, I seriously doubt that he has done an in depth analysis of the materials, moments of force, shear strengths etc.. of this design under dynamic loads. In fact, I bet the manufacturer only used static load models to test it (if any). This is nothing but an opinion put forth as fact.

Forum Member

Not to bring up another story but has anyone heard the latests in reference to Wheaton (IL) Fire's Crimson platform??

I'm not sure what if anything has happened but I received a PM that said there were possibly some issues there...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LT2410 View Post
    Not to bring up another story but has anyone heard the latests in reference to Wheaton (IL) Fire's Crimson platform??

I'm not sure what if anything has happened but I received a PM that said there were possibly some issues there...
    I have heard through the grapevine that the unit was returned or bought back (whichever is polictily correct), but still have not been able to confirm. Can anybody answer this?

Forum Member

Talking This guy missed something very big...

Best Apparatus Component - Peter Jorgensen

Crimson Fire’s Boomer gets the 2007 Award for the Best New Component. The Boomer is a new approach to an old problem – how to provide an elevated master stream on a pumper. In the 1970s the Squrt came out with an articulating boom, which later developed into the Tele-Squrt, a telescoping version. But the Boomer is more versatile.

This 28-foot hydraulically-operated, heavy-duty mast is much more than just a way to get a horizontal, deep-penetration stream into a third or fourth floor of a commercial building. It can be used as a 6,000-watt scene lighting tower, a remote camera platform, a power port for hydraulic rescue tools, a supply source for rooftop handlines and even as a crane boom.

The Boomer’s nozzle will deliver 1,000 gpm and can be swiveled a full 360 degrees. The boom itself will go from minus 10 degrees, to a full upright 90 degrees. At $50,000 it provides greatly expanded capabilities at only about a 15 percent increase in cost over the standard custom pumper.

Crimson has a 48-foot version on the drawing boards, but that will require rear mounting and outrigger jacks for stabilization.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone have updates on the Boomer, have they found what the problem is and corrected it yet? Anyone know the base price for one of these pumpers with Boomer???

Forum Member

Default Fdic 2008

I guess they'll have one on display at FDIC this year on the new Spartan Furion chassis. There was a picture posted in the forums earlier. I'd think that they must of solved the problem they had with it earlier otherwise they'd probably not be displaying another this year.

Last year they told us it would add an additional 50k to the price of a chassis.

The pics can be viewed at:

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=96347

Forum Member

bump.......

Forum Member

The Northern Arizona Consolidated Fire District just recieved delivery on this 2008 Sterling/Crimson Boomer. It is the first of its kind in the United States. The unit is equiped with a 1500-gpm pump, 3250-gwt, 50-class A foam, and a 30ft Boomer telescoping Squrt with a light tower.

Hi,

You can view the above described apparatus here: Crimson Fire Apparatus - Youngstown Fire Forums.

Forum Member

Content deleted by author.
    Last edited by Firefighter807; 07-08-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter807 View Post
    Wow. Did they lose a bet?
    No, they were smart enough not to drink the kool aid.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

This truck might have a use as a sort of cross over between a structrual fire engine and a airport crash truck.

Forum Member

I could not get the link to work.?????????????
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter807 View Post
    Wow. Did they lose a bet?
    She screams "HEFFER", How is she road legal????

Forum Member

switch computers and POOOF.............huge-inormous rig.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

A pumper tanker with an elevated stream...interesting concept.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireLineEquip View Post
    A pumper tanker with an elevated stream...interesting concept.
    Finally There is something Bigger than a Quint! Now How about somewhere to move Patients?!?

Thread Information