Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Boomer

Forum Member

Red face Boomer

What a great show this year at FDIC , enough literture to scramble our brains,but its fun, and as they say at Faber University "Knowlege is Good"

Our department a few years back looked into a 75' quint, then we were told it was stupid, why in our small Town would we need such a thing,not enough tall buildings, so for the fraction of the price I saw the new Crimson "Boomer"this is its features, the best part is, they said if is less money then buying and installing all these items seperately, gives us our elevated waterway, and rescue capabilities , here are the specs and picture, sits on a truck really well, mounted about the height of a ladder rack,

THE BOOMER
    Less than 300 Parts The average Aerial apparatus is made up of more than 1800 parts. The Boomer™ totals less than 300 parts. So you get your elevated waterway - without an elevated need for maintenance and downtime.

Watt Light Tower A 6,000 watt light tower features convenient lighting that will allow you to provide illumination everywhere needed.

28' Master Stream The Boomer™'s 28-foot master stream can be rotated 360 degrees and elevated from -10 degrees to 90 degrees, giving you greater firefighting reach.

High Pressure Connections Bring life-saving functions to the scene with the Boomer™'s high pressure hydraulic and air rescue tool connections. The Boomer™ also features lifting capabilities of 1,000 pounds.

Broaden Your Reach The 1,000 gallon per minute monitor is backed by two additional hand-line discharges to broaden your firefighting reach.

Check out Crimsons web site, or take a look at the show, E-One , Pierce and a few others have some great ideas this year also,be safe.

Post Boomer ready for you

Hey , Draftmaster, it is agreat new concept, we should have a demo in New England soon enough, I know you are still looking into the pumper concept and small rescue air unit we will be glad to assist you with your planning on both trucks, Crimson Fire and the entire sales staff at C&S specialty will be glad to help you in everyway.

The total Boomer specifications are listed on the Crimson web page.

MembersZone Subscriber

Neat Concept, the link for it is below

http://www.crimson-fire.com/crimson/...ts/Boomers.asp

Quote Originally Posted by DRAFTMASTER30 View Post
    gives us our elevated waterway, and rescue capabilities.
    I missed the rescue capabilities, unless you're referreing to the HRT connections...
    Last edited by Resq14; 04-23-2007 at 01:54 PM.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I'm not ripping on anybody here, just asking a question or 3.

How is this different than the version of the telesquirt without the ladder or the straight extending snozzle?

All it is is an elevated water way with lights on it. So how does it replace an aerial?

Or am I missing something?

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

this boomer thing - what does it cost anyway ? All I have seen is that it is a fraction of the cost of a 75'.

Forum Member

Default Interesting, but practical?????????

Interesting concept; but it has a few drawbacks:

1. If your using it as a light tower at a scene it makes most of the other features useless and vice versa.

2. If your close enough to put it up to a building to reach the discharges at the tip; your apparatus is way to close to the building.

3. Low level operations of -10 degrees are limited to the left side of the apparatus.

4. Infringes on New Holland's "Boomer" trademark that has been in use for several years. (although I am not a trademark lawyer so this could be an inaccurate assumption.)

I like the concept!! It seems as though our deck guns are never quite in the right spot. This makes the deck gun more "mobile". It could also be set in front of a building and used at ground level to place big water up and in throught the front. I don't know if the $$ will be worth it, but for small departments who can't afford much, this seems like a good alternative. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but there are no outriggers to mess with!!
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

Exclamation Boomer

The cost factor is this, take a radio conctrolled or electric monitor, take a light tower with a 15 boom on it, take hydraulic connectors that you can move , or mount them on different sections of the body, do the same with electrical plugs and air hook ups, and add 1000 lbs of lifting power,and the boomer is less than that, 40-50K. The boomer can move all of these items around, be mounted, left center and right side of body, comes in different lengths, and rear mount option also available, and sits about the height of a ladder rack, not a telesquirt height.I can angle off the truck for a MVA and have everything with in arms length, also, if you had a light tower situation, and water way needed, they can be at the same time, it is a elevated waterway, not a water attack tower, nor does it say that it is, and it was not intended to have a ladder on it for egress.

A great highway operation system at MVA's

Forum Member

Cool Boomer Failure?

A little bird flew in the window and told me the Boomer snapped off of its hinges during a demo at the Illinois Firefighters conference on Friday.

Anyone else heard or got any pictures?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hehateme View Post
    A little bird flew in the window and told me the Boomer snapped off of its hinges during a demo at the Illinois Firefighters conference on Friday.

Anyone else heard or got any pictures?
    What was damaged on the unit?

It reminds me of a cell phone that takes pictures, does the internet, plays mp3s, and is a pda but does not do all these things well.

If you want a great light tower, buy a squad with a huge generator and elevated light unit.

If you want a ladder truck, don't scrimp and get the 100+ reach you will need.

If you want an elevated master stream, pre-pipe your ladder with a gun or get a tower.

If you need air or hydraulics, spec it on your engine, squad or truck.

If you need lifting capacity, put a wrecker or crane on your box card.

If you can't afford any of this, put neighbors who have what you need on your auto aid.

Wink Wow

Getting mutual aid with neighbors who have what you need??? HAVE YOU EVER VENTURED OUTSIDE OF YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD?? In rural America, it can be well over an hour before you come to a town with a population over 1,500. Most small departments in rural America are lucky if they can afford a basic commercial chassis pumper every 30-40 years. To see people post things like the previous post just saddens me! Put one on your box card?? My volley department back home used the tornado siren to call the 5-8 volunteers to the station and that is not terribly uncommon. I'll bet next you would want them to ring out a 2nd or 3rd alarm. The nearest mutual aid to them is 15 miles and they are an equal size dept. Please feel free to donate $$ or ladder trucks w/hydraulic reels and light towers, as I am sure they are plentiful in your area!!! Maybe just give future posts some fore-thought!!! Troy
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by efd281 View Post
    Getting mutual aid with neighbors who have what you need??? HAVE YOU EVER VENTURED OUTSIDE OF YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD?? In rural America, it can be well over an hour before you come to a town with a population over 1,500. Most small departments in rural America are lucky if they can afford a basic commercial chassis pumper every 30-40 years. To see people post things like the previous post just saddens me! Put one on your box card?? My volley department back home used the tornado siren to call the 5-8 volunteers to the station and that is not terribly uncommon. I'll bet next you would want them to ring out a 2nd or 3rd alarm. The nearest mutual aid to them is 15 miles and they are an equal size dept. Please feel free to donate $$ or ladder trucks w/hydraulic reels and light towers, as I am sure they are plentiful in your area!!! Maybe just give future posts some fore-thought!!! Troy

thank you efd. seems that some folks forget that 75% of the fire protection in this country is rural & volunteer without the 5 minute mutual aid response available.

Forum Member

I've got a picture but can't figure out how to attach the damn thing!

Forum Member

Hope this works.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Any more pictures?

Anyone know exactly what failed? Please no speculation.

Forum Member

Here is another view.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Default Insufficient Testing

This is incident is a disaster and may finish Crimson in the aerial market. Anyone who has been looking at Crimson and not concerned about this incident is blind! A non-complaint ISO manufacturer now has a major failure! It’s obviously that they have not invested the time, money and resources to test this product to meet the high safety standards of our profession. This incident needs to be referred to by all truck committees looking for new aerial apparatus. It just goes to show that not everyone can build an aerial device! These are complicated machines where years of proven craftsmanship, design engineering and detailed research is needed. Everyone better start asking questions, serious questions about design & testing of prospective aerial builders, not where the Q2B should go!

From looking at the pictures, it looks as though a hinge pin backed out. From a maintenance standpoint, I would say someone dropped the ball and did not perform just a routine check of all fasteners.

As far as a disaster, I still have pictures of a Pierce All-Steer that fell over on its side in a parking lot which is a little more life threatening and last I heard, they still make pumpers. I can’t help but wonder how they listed that on their ISO sheets.

As far as detailed research goes, Jim Salmi engineered every aerial on the market today to include the Japanese and Camera R&D Designs that the other folks build.

Thread Information