Show me a Scania vehicle

Default A polygraph... Really?

The next step for me (if I did well on the oral) is a polygraph. I don't like the premise of polygraphs, but it doesn't matter what I think, I just have to pass it.

I've heard of great candidates who don't lie at all and they end up failing it with flying colors. I've been thinking about getting some help from those who say they have techniques to pass polygraph's. Are these guys valid? I'm just trying not to think about it too much.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beiner View Post
    The next step for me (if I did well on the oral) is a polygraph. I don't like the premise of polygraphs, but it doesn't matter what I think, I just have to pass it.

I've heard of great candidates who don't lie at all and they end up failing it with flying colors. I've been thinking about getting some help from those who say they have techniques to pass polygraph's. Are these guys valid? I'm just trying not to think about it too much.
    Just tell the truth and don't think about it too much
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Really?

Quote Originally Posted by OlieCan View Post
    Just tell the truth and don't think about it too much
    The first time I ever had contact and talked to Scott was 45 minutes after he got the call that he had failed his poly. Needless to say he was devastated. When I asked him what he had done to prepare for his polygraph he said he used the free information from some of the “experts” on some of the firefighter Internet forums. Using those guidelines he said he went in and spilled his guts, just like going to confession.

Just a few minutes into our conversation he realized that he had become too familiar with the evaluator, got chatty, volunteered too much beyond what was requested, was really nervous but thought everything was going just great.

Scott wrote: I chose to take this test knowing I had nothing to hide and being truthful was the best route I could take. The next test I take, I assure you, I will be better prepared.

I believe Scott is only referring to understanding the process better. I’m a firm believer in preparing for every step in the hiring process before you get there.

According to Doug Williamson a 35-year veteran polygraph evaluator from www.polygraph.com “It is a very serious mistake to believe that you will pass your polygraph or CVSA tests just because you are telling the truth - they are not "lie detectors". Scientific research proves that simple nervousness will cause a truthful person to fail!”

I talked to Scott after he checked out polygraph.com. He realized he had not been as prepared as he could have been before his polygraph and revealed information beyond what was required. If he had it to do over again he would have been better prepare on the process before his evaluation and could have had a better opportunity of passing without compromising his truthfulness as others are referring to here.

Being prepared for every step of the hiring process before you show up will place you in a better position to end up wearing a badge than being caught flat footed wondering what happened when the career you have been intensely pursuing evaporates before you eyes.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Polygraph

Bump. I will be taking a polygraph soon (presuming I do well in the interview) and just tonight talked to a friend of mine who was hired last year at the same dept. He told me that they asked him, during the pre-qualification questions if he had received advise on how to cheat polygraphs or had researched it on the internet. Beware of this. I am now worried about researching anything about polys on the web.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMedicWoody View Post
    Bump. I will be taking a polygraph soon (presuming I do well in the interview) and just tonight talked to a friend of mine who was hired last year at the same dept. He told me that they asked him, during the pre-qualification questions if he had received advise on how to cheat polygraphs or had researched it on the internet. Beware of this. I am now worried about researching anything about polys on the web.
    No worries.

FF/PM1 Wrote in this previous posting:

Yes, I was asked if I had researched polygraphs in my pre-interview, but not in the actual polygraph exam. The examiner asked me why I researched polygraphs? Was I going to manipulate it? I said of course not, but I always study before going into a test, I knew nothing about polygraphs prior to my hiring process and wanted to know what they are about.

While I am a big advocate of honesty in the hiring process, I am also an advocate on RESEARCH prior to entering into a new portion of the hiring process.

This does not make you a "cheater" or "dishonest" for wanting to know what you are getting yourself into, just thorough.

I researched every step of my hiring process. I learned everything I could about interviews, medicals, psych exams, polygraphs, backgrounds...not because I was trying to manipulate the system with deception or dishonesty, but I wanted to know what is next.

Honesty was the foundation of everything during my hiring process. I used this formula.....

If asked, a truthful answer was always given.

If asked a question, I would answer the question honestly then be quiet.

All other times I sat there with my mouth shut.

I have had friends fail polygraphs, not because they were dishonest, but they were not educated for what they were getting into. They sat down and were honest, but when answering one of the polygrpaher's questions, they would answer the question and then ADD additional info not even asked for. This ultimately led to their demise.

Learning about a polygraph does not mean I am trying to cheat it. Were you trying to cheat by going to fire stations and finding out what types of questions may be asked on the oral interview? No, you just wanted to be prepared.

Be honest, be prepared and be consistent.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

In today's governmental hiring standards, the use of polygraphs as a means of 'testing integrity' is alarming. Polygraphs are about as accurate as palm readings - they only contain power if you allow them to. What I mean by this, is that these 'tests' are designed to influence the testee to beleive in it's ability to sniff out your "lies". It cannot and will never do what it was intended to do. I dont recall when this commical machine was invented somewhere in the early 1900s if not the late 1800s which is in itself enough reason why we should not use these as a means for measuring a man or his integrity. Can you name anything else that is so highly regarded that has NOT been improved upon in over 100 years? No. That is because that would be idiotic.

If you cannot judge a man's character through a couple interviews, what makes you think a couple lines measuring heart rate is going tell you? Please - this idea of a polygraph to measure good men/women is insulting. That machine has not nor ever will indicate or measure loyalty, hard work, and integrity - it will not indicate the likely hood of that man/woman having your back in the line of duty. This really irritates me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baker88 View Post
    In today's governmental hiring standards, the use of polygraphs as a means of 'testing integrity' is alarming. Polygraphs are about as accurate as palm readings - they only contain power if you allow them to. What I mean by this, is that these 'tests' are designed to influence the testee to beleive in it's ability to sniff out your "lies". It cannot and will never do what it was intended to do. I dont recall when this commical machine was invented somewhere in the early 1900s if not the late 1800s which is in itself enough reason why we should not use these as a means for measuring a man or his integrity. Can you name anything else that is so highly regarded that has NOT been improved upon in over 100 years? No. That is because that would be idiotic.

If you cannot judge a man's character through a couple interviews, what makes you think a couple lines measuring heart rate is going tell you? Please - this idea of a polygraph to measure good men/women is insulting. That machine has not nor ever will indicate or measure loyalty, hard work, and integrity - it will not indicate the likely hood of that man/woman having your back in the line of duty. This really irritates me.
    Sorry ... .....

Forum Member

Whether you agree with them or not is immaterial. From the department's perspective they have value. It is generally believed that a polygraph gets people to tell the truth, especially when they may not have intended to. Additionally, it believed that candidates do not apply if they have something to hide and intend to be dishonest in the background process.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Thread Information