Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Smoke alarm / detector program?

I'm looking for a template or guideline on how to do a smoke detector program / blitz / give away? in our town. POP 5000.

With my job I have been doing a lot a residential inspections lately and was shocked by the number of apts with no or disconnected smoke alarms.
    If you were to ask me before I began these inspections I would have said that Smoke alarms would be one thing that we had covered in our Town. But that's not the case. Now I'm looking of the best way to reach out on this basic topic? Thanks.

Fire Chief / Inspector
    GPM123

Default Smoke Detector Program

We started two programs for the high risk populations. We give our hospitial smoke detectors to give out to every child born at the hospitail and we do a safety talk at our senior center and give detectors out at that event, we will install the detectors for the seniors and or check and replace batteries when needed. we have a pop of almost 10,000 and hand out approx 300 detectors a year. our local ACE hardware gives a good deal on 150 or more.

Not much to it as far as procedures I just keep track of the detectors and where they go and insure we have plenty of PR for donatrions to offset the cost.

We have our day crew go out on foot (with the enginge folowing) up and down streets tagging houses asking if they need a smoke detector, or battery, and offer free checks. we started it last year, and are about to continue it soon. (Summer only) we have a population of a little over 25,000 and last year we got to about 1/3 of the houses.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

Gentlemen, dont forget- Most communities have adopted specific ordinances which require property owners to maintain operating smoke detectors. If you have adopted the International Code Council Series of codes for your Township, Borough, County, or whatever, the 1 & 2 Family Residential Code, the Building Code, and the Fire Code all have specific provisions mandating operating smoke detectors. Same goes for having visible address numbers, which is another topic that comes up frequently here. Free smoke detectors should be reserved for those that truly need them, such as low-income households or perhaps new immigrants. Many communities who do not utilize the ICC codes usually have specific mandates for SD's. Many times more often than not, Fire Departments don't check with the Fire Marshal's or the Code Enforcement Office prior to starting their own program. I'm not trying to discourage Fire Departments from doing these programs; just check with your officials prior to starting. Additionally, many local officials have access to free detectors and may already have them. I know of one FD that purchased them out of their pockets, started to give them out, only to find that the FM's office had 6 cases of them in a closet.

Those that can afford them, should be made to buy, install and maintain them. especially owners of rental properties. In the community where I am a Fire Inspector, working under the Fire Marshal/Code Enforcement Officer, we have a problem with landlords not wanting to maintain SD's. Believe it or not, I have actually argued with a landlord over a $1.00 battery. Argument ended 3 days later when he received a registered letter notifying him he was in violation of the ordinance, and he had 10 days to schedule a re-inspection.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Currently landlords are required to instal electric alarms in each unit.

Thanks for the info all.

Thread Information