MembersZone Subscriber

Default Anybody hear from Portland?

This waiting is driving me crazy. I was just wondering if anyone knows when they are thinking about informing the trainee's about their results from the Chief's interview.

Thanks

Mitch

Default yep... me too

I'm on the EMT/Paramedic list and had my Chiefs about ten days ago. I haven't heard anything yet but I think they just finished the interviews for our list on Friday. Hoping to hear any day now... but I feel your pain!

Forum Member

Haven't had a chief's interview or the PAT yet. Feel lucky that you have them both under your belt. Sounds like it may be awhile before I get a call. #56 on the FF/EMT list......

MembersZone Subscriber

So the trainee's and Paramedics have gone through everything but the EMT's have not? That sounds kind of strange

Default FF EMT/Paramedic

Sorry, I guess that was confusing. the FF EMT and Paramedic list are the same list. They took the top group of people on that list whether they were Medics or Basics and ran them through the Chiefs and PAT.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh ok. Did they give you an estimate of when they would get back to you?

Forum Member

Heard they are hiring a group off the FF/EMT list sometime in May. Rumor is they are going to be hiring groups of 16 insted of 12 since we are short people. They took aprox the top 30 to Chiefs interviews and PAT.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nozzleman, thanks for that info. Any word on the trainee group?

Forum Member

What I heard was that aprox 80 passed the chiefs interview from the trainee group. Of those about 25 already had their EMT and the rest would be sent through EMT class.

A group of trainees will then be hired in a few months from what I have been told by my BC, they have been mixing the classes once the trainees get sworn in. So a normal group would be 6 and 6, with them possibly going to groups of 16 then I would guess it would be 8 and 8. Both lists should be good lists since we just got the new district and also 2 new rescues so we picked up 15 new positions and with all the retirements we are actually short people this summer.

MembersZone Subscriber

So do you think it will be a couple more weeks until we are notified of whether we passed or not?

Forum Member

i had a friend who is on the firefighter list who had his chiefs interview and physical on 4-13(yes, friday the 13th). he just heard back the other day. so i would imagine that the others that had their interviews around the same time should of heard back by now...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pro300 View Post
    i had a friend who is on the firefighter list who had his chiefs interview and physical on 4-13(yes, friday the 13th). he just heard back the other day. so i would imagine that the others that had their interviews around the same time should of heard back by now...

Are they hearing back by phone, letter or emails?

Forum Member

he received a conditional job offer letter in the mail the other day. keep in mind this is from the FF/EMT list, not the trainee list. I got hired off the trainee list last time around and looking back through my paperwork it was about 3 weeks from the time that i had my chiefs interview until the time i recieved the letter stating that i made it onto the trainee list. and just because you make it onto the trainee list, doesn't guarantee you a job.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well its been about 3 weeks since I have had my chiefs interview.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just got a call from my mom, and found out that I got a letter today from portland. So I should find out in a couple of days after she mails it to me.

Forum Member

DUDE! Should've just had her read it. You're going to go crazy waiting for that letter.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was kind of thinking the same thing. It's like you're a glutton for punishment. Just kidding I'm sure it's good news.

Anyone know the drop-out/failure rate for the academy? Also, has anyone gone through the trainee EMT-B class? Just curious for those who are on the traine list, but didn't get selected.

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought about her opening it. But if it contains not good news I would rather tell her then have her tell me

Anyone know what the dropout/failure rate for the trainee academy is? What is the minimum passing score for tests? Also, how intense is the 6 week EMT-Basic couse through the academy? Curious out of the 80 recruits going through will make it all the way and if anyone is ever picked up n the elegibility list?

Forum Member

Fair enough. Hope it's good news for you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I just opened my letter. It says "Following the Chief's Interview Process, you will remain on the Firefighter Trainee Eligibility list although we do not anticipate selecting you to participate in any of the upcoming Trainee classes over the next two years."

So that sucks. I was wondering if there is any way to either talk to somebody about my interview or see the score sheets to see where I went wrong and what I need to work on

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face options

When I first tested (>7 years ago) I got a similar letter, someone on the chief's panel didn't like me. I called the previous recruiter and he agreed to meet me and go over my scores. I was later called up to reinterview and got hired. You can try and see if this can happen now. I don't know if it will or not.

MembersZone Subscriber

who would I call, Lt. AJ Jackson?

MembersZone Subscriber

The more I read over this letter I get more confused. They say that they do not anticipate selecting me for the classes within the next 2 years, so did I pass my chief's interview and am just ranked low or did I not pass the interview?

Thread Information