Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Post Bourkes that are finally NFPA!

For any of you that made it to FDIC this past week, you may have seen these. There is a company out there that just released these new Bourkes that are NFPA compliant. They are essentially the same design, size, mechanism, etc. except the material is different so that they do not melt and drip when exposed to high levels of heat. Instead they just singe back when exposed to high temperatures. They are completely interchangeable so that if you have a current helmet with bourkes, you can simply buy these new ones and switch them out without problems. I put my name on a mailing list to have a dealer contact me, as they were not for sale yet @ FDIC. FYI- I believe they are going to be marketed under the name EZ flips and should be available by late May. It's a small battle, but it seems like we may have won this one!

Forum Member

Do you by any chance remember the name of the dealer?
    I'm having a problem at one of my stations.
    If You Can't Compromise,
    "IMPROVISE!"
    If you don't know the difference between an "Engine" & a "Truck", Go ride in the Ambulance!

"We the willing, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

"Action without study is fatal. Study without action is futile."

Forum Member

Who makes these and where is the literature? Here is what I found (see link). Unless there is something else out there, they are not NFPA. I would love to be convince they are compliant. Show me the info!! LOL

http://www.firebrakeco.com/inc/sdetail/135
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

I am skeptical. I have always been told it is not the fire damage, but the lack of some NFPA magicians dreamed up number of surface area to protect your eyes from flying debris.

Last I heard full 4" flip down face shields did not meet NFPA, you had to go with 6.
    Robert Kramer
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

4" shields still are NFPA. They only count as secondary eye protection. The only 2 things that provide fill eye protection per NFPA are googles and SCBA mask. NFPA wants to make it a requirement for all helmets to have a primary eye protection on the helmets. That is why you can buy a helmet with googles and bourkes. and it is still NFPA. Chris
    Chris
    FF/Lic-Paramedic
    Galveston FD "The Big House"
    IAFF Local 571
    www.galvestonfiredept.org

And for NFPA requiring goggles to be attached to fire helmets is the most retarded thing ever. That rule was made up by someone who has never made a real interiot attack. We have to put goggles on our helmets, the first fire that I had after those goggles were on my helmet they were so smoked up you couldnt use them even if I wanted to. My safety glasses that are in my pocket still work fine thank you.

And for NFPA requiring goggles to be attached to fire helmets is the most retarded thing ever. That rule was made up by someone who has never made a real interiot attack. We have to put goggles on our helmets, the first fire that I had after those goggles were on my helmet they were so smoked up you couldnt use them even if I wanted to. My safety glasses that are in my pocket still work fine thank you.

Same here. I feel your pain

MembersZone Subscriber

Not anymore! In this last revision of the PPE standards they now allow removable goggles to be compliant due to that very reason!

MembersZone Subscriber ftfdverbenec770's Avatar

maybe its just me, but you guys seem alittle wound up over the burkes being nfpa now. i mean, really, do you guys really use them for anything? it doesnt matter what nfpa says, they still dont cover your eyes for crap. you still have to carry around a pair of goggles. your not going to find anything better than that for eye protection.
    Your a daisy if you do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ftfdverbenec770 View Post
    maybe its just me, but you guys seem alittle wound up over the burkes being nfpa now. i mean, really, do you guys really use them for anything? it doesnt matter what nfpa says, they still dont cover your eyes for crap. you still have to carry around a pair of goggles. your not going to find anything better than that for eye protection.
    I use mine for eye protection and they work just fine.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Last I heard full 4" flip down face shields did not meet NFPA, you had to go with 6.
    I don't kow about NFPA but our State DOL cited us a few years back for not having 6" faceshields on all helmets. We fought them as we could not find replacement shileds that met the standard and didn't void the manufacturers warranty. They let it go. Of course whenever they see our Bourkes we have to tell them they're "decorative/tradition" and that the wearer uses his/her SCBA mask for face protection. Oh and they want full face protection, one asked me how I protected my mouth with the hole in the front of my mask? At that point I was thinking he needed protection for his mouth! These morons are out of control with some of this stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by ftfdverbenec770 View Post
    you still have to carry around a pair of goggles. your not going to find anything better than that for eye protection.
    Maybe YOU still have to carry around a pair of goggles. I have NEVER used a set of goggles in or outside a fire building, ever.

Safety glasses I can understand; goggles rediculous.
    Robert Kramer
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    I use mine (Bourkes) for eye protection and they work just fine.
    Same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a
    Maybe YOU still have to carry around a pair of goggles. I have NEVER used a set of goggles in or outside a fire building, ever.
    Ditto.
    Quote Originally Posted by ftfdverbenec770
    ...it doesnt matter what nfpa says, ...
    At least we can agree on that.
    NFPA = Not For Practical Application.

Forum Member

All I have ever used is a 6 in. shield. We are looking at helmets with the bourkes. Do they give you enough eye protection? or do we need to get
    the bourkes and goggles or go back with the 6 in. shield?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by grasstrimmer View Post
    All I have ever used is a 6 in. shield. We are looking at helmets with the bourkes. Do they give you enough eye protection? or do we need to get the bourkes and goggles or go back with the 6 in. shield?
    I can only relate my own experience and observations:
    I have used Bourke Eye Shields for most of my 26 years on the job and have never had a single problem. They are convenient and easy to use, therefore more likely to actually be used. I use them mostly for fireground stuff like pulling ceiling, overhaul, etc. For extrication and rescue work I carry a pair of safety glasses in my inside turnout coat pocket.
    I found the goggles to be the least desirable option. They require two hands to deploy, meaning you have to stop what you’re doing; they fog up, limit peripheral vision and are uncomfortable to wear. A little bit of soot staining on the goggles and you might as well be working blind. The 6 inch shield sits too far out from the face allowing debris to come up from underneath. It is bulky and gives the helmet a larger profile that I do not care for.
    Bourkes have been in use for decades in the busiest fire departments in the US. They have probably seen more actual fire duty than any other form of eye protection out there -- the departments that have used them would not do so if they were contributing to eye injuries. It also depends on how much your department is “hung up” on NFPA. I would suggest trying them and then go with what works best for your department. Good luck.

I have used bourkes for 11 years on my leather and have yet to need anything else. I carry a pair of safety glasses for extrication, but my bourkes work for all else.
    My only complaint about bourkes is how cheaply made the new ones are. When I first started, my bourkes would go 2-3 years before needing replacment, now I seem to have to replace them after 2-3 fires.
    Loo
    Lieutenant / EMT- Paramedic
    Protective Services Officer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jomo320 View Post
    Do you by any chance remember the name of the dealer?
    I'm having a problem at one of my stations.
    The manufacturer is Total Fire (Morning Pride)

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry guys that I haven't kept up with the post, but here is the E-mail I sent to Total Fire Group asking about the EZ flips.

My e-mail:
    I am trying to find the vendor that had the new
    Bourke style "EZ Flips" that were NFPA. Was that you guys? If so, when
    will they be available and do you have any more literature on them?
    Thanks!

Their E-mail back:
    It was Total Fire Group with the NFPA Certified E-Z Flips. They are
    available now, and we will have pricing and etc out to our dealers in
    the next week. You can contact your local distributor for pricing and
    etc.

Warren Fire Equipment, George Pasaeno, would be your closest
    representative. He can be contacted at 614-778-0940.

Thank you for your interest and please let us know if you have any other
    questions.

Stay Safe,

Patrick Murty
    Total Fire Group

Quote Originally Posted by firemed9 View Post
    I have used bourkes for 11 years on my leather and have yet to need anything else. I carry a pair of safety glasses for extrication, but my bourkes work for all else.
    My only complaint about bourkes is how cheaply made the new ones are. When I first started, my bourkes would go 2-3 years before needing replacment, now I seem to have to replace them after 2-3 fires.
    Ditto here!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Do they actually have any documentation to support this. Everything that I have found for EZ-flips says OSAH only. Any ideas?
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Thread Information