MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by johnnyb3189; 04-14-2008 at 02:41 PM.

Forum Member

Well you are facing an uphill battle. But there are some things that you can do to help your situation. 1st you will have to get your Juvinile records sealed, or even better expunged(there is a difference).even though they are from before your 18th Birthday, they still have access to them. You should look in to what you need to do online, or even better talk to a lawyer, it might cost you more than a thousand dollars, but that is minor compared to the job of your dreams. This is where it gets tough, you will also have to prove to a judge that society is better with you having these off your record or sealed. Such as what have you done since, why you are a better person? This is where time is on your side, the longer its been since your conviction, the better.

And remember there is a difference between, "Sealed" and "Expunged"

Sealed: There is still evedince of something on your record, but they cant see what it is.

Expunged: The charges are erased from your record, and can only be opened by court order.

Hope this helps, if you need more info let me know

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

OK, you can get a lawyer and look into all the legal angles about getting your record expunged and all that, and maybe you'll get lucky and land a job. Then what? "Numerous" misdemeanors and a couple of felonies? And you've been off the weed a whole month, huh? Think you can keep your nose clean long enough to hold down a job? Seems like you have a hard time staying out of trouble. What's going to be different once you become a firefighter?

Sounds like you have some growing up to do before you can hope to have the honor and the privelege of being a firefighter. The bar is set pretty high to become a firefighter, compared to most jobs. Lots of competition to get on with a good department. Why would any department want to hire a potential discipline case?

I'm sure someone when you were growing up (parent, teacher, guidance counsellor) tried to point out how your actions today can have far-reaching consequences for your future. Well, this is an example of that. You did some stupid stuff (as recently as this month) and now it might cost you your dream job. Live and learn.

If this sounds harsh and not what you wanted to hear, tough. It is harsh. You have dug yourself a hole that will be hard to get out of, at least as far as a firefighting career goes.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream ó and I hope you don't find this too crazy ó is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    ó C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Numerous misdemeanors and a couple of felonies. Wow, give it time, about 10 years, keep clean and then try again. Like it was said, the competition is way too tough for that kind of record.

Forum Member

If this is really what you want, go for the degree, and start taking EMT/ Firefighter 2, and Paramedic class. If you get through all those, that will help a lot. assuming you're like 20ish, you can have all your certifications, and have a degreein fire science, and also be clean for 5 years.

If you want any chance at all, you need to stop doing drugs, and get your **** together, otherwise its a huge no.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

Forum Member

And nowhere in this does he say that he has actually quit the use of marijuana. In fact, it sounds more like he is going to leave it long enough to pass a drug test if at all. I'd say he doesn't have a snowballs chance in a hell at the moment.

This is where it gets tough, you will also have to prove to a judge that society is better with you having these off your record or sealed. Such as what have you done since, why you are a better person?
    Considering the only reason will be "so I can get a job", my response as a judge would be "you should have thought about that before you became a little hoodlum. Also, he hasn't actually stopped being a criminal yet concidering he us admitting to using drugs still. I would hope there isn't a judge stupid enough to seal or expunge his record.
    Last edited by nmfire; 04-23-2007 at 02:26 PM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Johnnyb3189,

As a firefighter my advice to you would be move on to something else at this point. In the state of ohio there are questions that they ask you before you can test for any state certifications and one question is "have you ever been convicted of a felony?" I'm pretty sure if the answer is "yes" then you are not elligible to get the certification. As has already been mentioned before you have dug yourself quite a hole with your criminal past even as a minor. You may be able to test for some jobs but once they see all of that history your name will be thrown out. They are going to look at one what type of criminal history you have and two how long ago it was. I don't know the particulars but you can figure it out.

Lastly, if you just smoked pot last month, don't bother. Most people are proud of what we do and don't need another "firefighter caught with marijuana" in the news. We are held to a higher standard than most and the media jumps at the opportunity to report a police officer or firefighter breaking the law. Frankly, you aren't up to that standard. Maybe in 10 years or so, but not now, you have much bigger issues to work out first. Sorry if this is blunt or offensive, but it's the truth. Most places make you take a lie detector test which would ask you about all these types of questions. Once they find this stuff out, you would be disqualified anyway.

Forum Member

I always find these posts amusing. Its kind of like "if you have to ask....."
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

numerous misdemeanor charges and two 5th degree felony charges by the age of 18. BAD, VERY BAD! Was all this from a specific day in time or is it spread out over a couple years? In Chicago, you can't get on the job with a felony let alone two. I would assume thats the case everywere. Go to school and become a lawyer..............

MembersZone Subscriber

JohnnyB,
    You have a lot of work to do if you ever want a career as a FF. But, if your dream is to become a FF then you are going to have to make some serious changes. The only thing that you have on your side is that you are young and still have a lot of time to make up for your past transgressions. I agree that you need to figure out a way to protect your juvenile record, because honestly firefighting is a highly competive process and one that is still held with a high sense of integrity. If you go to school and get a degree along with fire and EMS certifications you will be on the right track to a career as a firefighter. But, you biggest obstacle is going to show members of the oral board and background investigators what you have done since your criminal past. How have you changed yourself and made the community around you better? After you have made changes to you lifestlye and behavior and have reached a certain level of maturity if you could go back and be a mentor to other juveniles and kids that are having law trouble to me that what should that you are serious about your past and wanting to make a difference not only in your life but in peoples lives that have had a similar past. I would also investigate departments that you would like to work for and see how they view your situation. If they tell you that there is no way to make up for your criminal past, then I agree with the other people in this post, move on and find somethings else to do. But, if this is really your dream find a way to make it a reality, becoming a FF is hard enough without a criminal past, you are just going to have to work that much harder to have someone want to hire you. Best of luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow,

That is a lot of "mistakes" for an 18 year old. I went through fire academy in Ohio and you couldn't even be in the academy with a conviction on your record. One person in my class was kicked out in the 3rd week because of a juvenile charge that occured while he was living in Texas.

Sorry Charlie I would say that you are SOL...especially with the number of people trying for so few jobs.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    I always find these posts amusing. Its kind of like "if you have to ask....."

LOL.... That's kinda what I was thinking...

But, you biggest obstacle is going to show members of the oral board and background investigators what you have done since your criminal past.
    Yeah, but remember, his criminal past was, like....a couple of weeks ago....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream ó and I hope you don't find this too crazy ó is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    ó C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Default Chances??

I can sum it up even easier...Slim and none...and Slim has left the building.

Sorry,
    Jay Dudley, Background Investigator
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb3189 View Post
    I also have smoked marijuana after my 18th birthday, leaving my last date of use at about a month ago......Somebody once told me you cant be a police officer if you smoked pot in the last 5-7 years so I need to know if that is true for firefighting.
    So the only reason you are concerned about the fact that you smoke pot is because you might not be able to become a firefighter. NOT the fact that it's illegal, has adverse health effects, and goes against what a true firefighter role model would stand for. You just don't get it.

I am very stressed out and worried about all this and need to switch my major if its going to be impossible to get hired after I go to school. please let me know
    Switch your major. You're not going to become a career firefighter. You don't have what it takes. If you did, you would have made better decisions in your life. I know I wouldn't want you in a position to make life or death decisions. BTW, not to sound cliche, but a firefighter doesn't quit or give up. Instead of busting your *** trying to make things right, you've already conceded. You're ready to switch your major and career path based on what is said on an internet forum. You don't have the heart, discipline, or integrity that is needed.
    Last edited by Fixxer; 04-23-2007 at 07:02 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    I can sum it up even easier...Slim and none...and Slim has left the building.

Sorry,
    Jay Dudley, Background Investigator
    In the words of a well known comedian.
    You might be a redneck BJ if your name is jay dudley and you think you give good advice.

Sad thing is there are other idiots out there that agree with you. Cough,cough (dmleblanc) cough......

Nothing like trying to give the kid some encouragement to get his life straight.
    MORONS

Hey kid straighten your ***** out and try it. Thats the most you can do. If it happens it happens if not then you can never say you did not try. Living with the what if is worse then living with failure.
    Last edited by kingofdahill; 04-23-2007 at 09:29 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Need to know if I can even be a firefighter, part 2- PLEASE HELP

Ok I hear what everybody is saying but I've heard from a lot of firefighters around here that it is still possible to be a firefighter if I stop everything I was doing and get my **** together. I hear what everybody is saying and I really appreciate the replies but letís say this... I am 18 right now, turned 18 in March and yes, I've smoked marijuana up until this month. My numerous misdemeanors are things like criminal damaging, trespassing, possession of drug paraphernalia, etc. My two 5th degree felonies are receiving stolen property and counterfeiting. This was all incurred as a juvenile in the state of Ohio. I am also on juvenile probation still even though I just became an adult. I just need to know if I should just drop out of my college and say screw it or suck it up, make the changes I know I've been needing to make for a long time, and be what I've always wanted to be, a FF. I am planning on getting my juvenile record expunged or sealed, whatever the judge will go for after I graduate my fire school (2 years) and get my degree and everything. The fire school Iím going to gives me my FF 1 and 2 and my paramedic plus other numerous certificates and stuff so I know that will help in the hiring process. Letís assume I never ever commit another crime or do another drug or do anything bad ever again what are my chances given what Iíve already done????? To answer one personís question the charges were all spread out over a 3-4 year period. I am so scaredÖ PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! I just read all these replies here at school and now I'm really nervous and scared so any reply would be awesome thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation kingofdahill

kingofdahill please contact me on here via private message or johnbuttrick3189@yahoo.com thanks

Forum Member

You say you "always wanted to become a firefighter" and yet, you've smoked pot within the last month. I wonder how hard you have strived to get this position. Being a firefighter isn't just "another job" Its a career that requires a lot of time, schooling, dedication, hard work, and heart. You're only 18... that helps. By the time you can get aon a place full time, you SHOULD have 3 years of being clean. If you get to the interviews and such, being clean for 3 years will help. As many will tell you, tiime is your best friend right now. The longer you're clean, the better your chances. The Fire Dept. realizes that people make mistakes, however with you it seems to be a common thing... They will look at your record, and most likely choose someone else, unless you learn to correct all your problems quick.

Still, I wonder how hard you want to become a Firefighter if you smoked pot in the last month. You're already showing signs of mental weakness, and thats something that can't be in the Fire service.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Get Real

Kingofthehill....once again you've jumped in with your holier then thou attitude. This kid has felionies and a drug problem and you think by telling him he can not be hired is ruining his life. There are too many out there who want the job and who have clean records to hire him over them.
    I think you need to do what you do best elsewhere. They ask questions here and they want answers so we give that to them.
    Slim has still left town and others will be hired.

Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Permanently Removed

Ummm....Sorry, but I would forget the Firefighter route and do two other things-

1. Work on your english and writing skills.
    2. Just focus on being a better citizen in general.

Drugs, two 5th degree felonies are receiving stolen property and counterfeiting...Are you kidding me? Is this some sort of joke?

There are a lot of "I wanna a..." and "I am gonna" in your posting. I suggest getting stable, clear, sober and a normal life just to stay alive first.

Sorry to seem to mean, but get the basics wired first. You already had your shot at a FF position and blew it.

Lastly, I question if this is even a real posting or a troll.

-Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

I just need to know if I should just drop out of my college and say screw it or suck it up, make the changes I know I've been needing to make for a long time, and be what I've always wanted to be, a FF.
    Those are what you see as your two choices? Get your dream job or drop out of college and say screw it??? We don't all get our dream jobs, but that doesn't mean we should drop out and work at the local burger joint. Go to college, study a broad range of things, find a career that you like. You're 18, you've got plenty of time to find something you like. The fact is, firefighting is an extremely competitive career, and everyone can't get in. You can go cry about it and give up on everything, or you can be a big boy and find something else to do. Make those changes you've been needing to make - it will help you immensely wherever your life takes you.
    -------;- "Aaaaa!!"
    Remember - always wear your helmet around one-eyed women with pike poles

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Dear John, You must excel at everything you do from here on. Strive to be the very best recruit possible, and im sure theres a dept. somewhere in the country that would be glad to give a reformed, troubled teen a second chance. Don't let all the naysayers discourage you from your goal, prove them all wrong. All the best and for gods sake Johnny be good !

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks polecat

thank you polecat for your positive feedback

Forum Member

Dude, I hate to see a honest young buck, get reemed out by a bunch of self proclaimed experts, who have no idea what the hiring practices are for every dept. in the nation. And, if having the occassional puff makes one a criminal, there's thousands of firefighters who better turn themselves in, including myself.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by polecat View Post
    Dude, I hate to see a honest young buck, get reemed out by a bunch of self proclaimed experts, who have no idea what the hiring practices are for every dept. in the nation. And, if having the occassional puff makes one a criminal, there's thousands of firefighters who better turn themselves in, including myself.

No offense polecat, but the "occassional puff" - I don't think you must have read this kids entire history. The "occassional puffs" are probably the least of his issues. I'm not even going to waste the key strokes giving my opinion on whether or not I think this kid can get hired because as you said nobody knows the hiring practices for every department, but let me ask you this - Would you give him the same advice if it were your money paying for his future education?

JohnnyB - everyone you ask is going to give you a different answer, but whether you are going to be a firefighter or a ditch digger you need to stop committing crimes altogether and that includes the "occassional puffs."
    Last edited by jtizzy; 04-25-2007 at 07:21 PM.

Thread Information