Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Post EMT-B Class What to Expect

I am 16 years old and next year I plan to take my EMT-B class in the winter of next year so when my birth day in March rolls around I will be fresh out of my EMT-B classes. But thats not my question I was wondering what to expect I have been an explorer for a year and done my fair share of ambulane runs and am familar with the basics but I am worried about takeing the class. If you could give me any info on with to expect of specific things to start studying that would be great. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Best advice I can give is dont be a smart arse. Listen to what your instructor tells you, because what you know from the street may not apply to what is in your exams. And trust me from experience, that will come around to bite you. Past that, just keep your ears open and your voice down.

Work well with your partner and make sure to practice your scenarios LOTS AND LOTS.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Def pay attention in class. I would also suggest getting a review guide for the national registry test. They love to give you questions that have 2 correct answers, you have to decide which is better and/or comes first in the protocol. But the big things on the NR are: Stick with the basics (Don't forget ABC's), Know the protocols (good place to look at NR ones is http://emts911.com/Protocols/protocols.htm), Also what you learn on the street doesn't really apply to the NR.
    Getting your EMT-B is tough but rewarding and im glad i did it early on like you plan on doing.
    FireFighter/EMT
    Rescue 1

IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber hydrotech's Avatar

OK yeah pay attention is key but also don't just go off your notes and what the teacher says...by that i mean ALWAYS ALWAYS read the book! i stress this because i payed attention in class the first few days, thought i knew the material, didn't read the book that week and bombed the first quiz because of that. If you follow along and read the book at night you should have zero problems in class with tests and quizzes. plus it always helps to volunteer first for demonstrations in class. if you can volunteer for the classes going on at the same time as yours to be a "victim" for practicals so you can see what lies ahead. good luck the class is actually a ton of fun if you want to learn!

Forum Member

Default Just finished my self.

I just finished EMT school. Another poster has already said it, but forget what you learned on the street. Go with the book. If you have to take the NREMT like I did, than the book is the only thing you will have to prepare you. I also found several NREMT books at the library. Study hard, practice your skills. Overall though it's not that difficult(it's not cake either though) if you do those two things IMO.

oh..I passed BTW. Figured my advice wouldn't be worth much if I didn't include that.LOL

The one recommendation that I can give here is make full use of ANY hands on time you get. There were a lot of lectures in my 2 terms....so when we got into the lab to get hands on, we had to make the most of it. Sometimes you may get through a skill (Ex: Spinal Immobilzation/backboard) a few times and then take a break because there was some time left over. Either do it again and again until it becomes habit....or move on to another skill. We had a couple people that would do it 2 - 3 times and then take a break. Take a guess how they finished on the exam?

Hands on time is extremely valuable so make the most of it....you'll thank yourself when you are doing the practicals on your state exam. That is not a day that I want to repeat.

Forum Member

I just finished my basic class and the most important thing you can do is read and study outside of class. Read the chapter before the class goes through it. Do all homework even if it not required. And like said before forget everything and go by the book.

Forum Member

Much appretiation guy your advice will come in handy. I already dot a couple of text books and have been practing as many skills as possible when i have been doing run. Thanks

Forum Member

I also am just finishing my EMT-B class, I actually only have one week left to go. I would say that my biggest advice to you is, actually read the chapters in the book that are required of you. I have taken many classes before, and have breezed through them pretty easily. This class is definately far from that. There is SOO much information that is to be learned in that one little book. It is going to be pretty hard to keep track of what signs and symptoms go with each condition, and other things. If you however study hard, take notes, and read you should be able to do just fine. Just don't go into it like I did thinking that it will be like every other class you have been in, because it is far from it. Best of luck to you!

Thread Information