Post Help me fight for a paid system

Hello all, I am a part time paid fireman in my home town and a seasonal part time in my neighboring town, However I am trying to get an argument together to show the town that I am working for seasonal that if they would hire year round full time it would benifit the town. I know the obvious bennifits but need help to find the hidden benifits that are easily over looked. ISO ratings and other technical aspects would help as well. I would realy appreciate any help. Thanks fellas

Forum Member

With the very little information provided....

ISO? as a benefit? How? The tiny little increase that would most likely come about from hiring a couple guys would be very little in the overall rating scheme.

As for other benefits...to the town...possibly a quicker response. Maybe more training. Chance of additional staffing?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Default Amendment to question

Sorry if I was broad with my question. I was merely trying to come up with a fiew good points to propose to the municipality that would show them that to have a paid first out crew of 2-4 ppl would be benificial. I see the obvious and want others opinions to help further my argument. We are now a vacation town with 1/5 of the overall population living there year round. The winter job would be a quiet one averaging 2-4 calls per week between EMS and fire. However the summer yields around 5-6 call per day. We are not the most busy however with the avg home selling for $1-2 million I do believe that they deserve premiun emergency services. Feel free to reply and if there is any further questions feel free to leave them as I will reply. Thanks again everyone.

MembersZone Subscriber

what kind of population do you have in the on and off months along with yearly call? How does your system work with the part time system exactly. and also do you have an idea of budget amount

Forum Member

2-4 calls per week hardly justifies paid positions unless the (assuming) volunteers are not responding.

Sorry, but on the info you gave me it seems like this situation does not justify year round paid staffing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hiring 2 would be of no benefit at all since you need at least four to comply with a 2in/out policy. Maybe seasonal pt. help during the peak period would be justified. I think full time 24/7 would be a hard sell if it were my call to provide the funding.

Forum Member

Unfortunatley you may be fighting a lossing battle. The call load will not support it. Even in the peak days, I bet the majority is EMS. We had a local town in my area with that kind of issue. Dead in the winter so the volunteers could handle it but the summer exploded with about 8-10 calls a day. (Almost all of them being EMS). They brought this same fight up and were shot down. They have now seperated the EMS and Fire, Fire is 100% vol. handling only fire and tech related emergencies. They started a combo EMS department. They staff one rig full time with 2 guys 24/7 and cover the rest of the overflow with volunteers. Works pretty well for them and is a **** load cheaper. The town only has to paid 2 guys on at a time. If it were fire, they would have to have 4 guys on an engine, and 2 on an ambulnce. 3 times more payroll than what they have now. Maybe this is the way to go for your location. Stay safe.
    Gary
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    -------------------
    Stay Safe
    Leather Forever......F.O.O.L.S.

Thread Information