THIS MESSAGE IS FOR ANY FIRE COMPANY HOLDING CHICKEN BBQS . PLEASE EMAIL ALL REPLIES TO: prncss_aj@yahoo.com

Fire Chief, or To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Janelle Clark. I am a FF/EMT with West Hempfield F&R and am doing some research on fire company chicken barbeques, and I was wondering if you would be able to answer some questions for me. Our current set-up is a metal shed/pit, with sliding doors on all four sides for ventilation, as well as exhaust fans and vents in the roof. How do you BBQ the chicken? Do you, the fire company, have a pit you use? If so, how do you protect your FF/BBQ personnel from CO inhalation/poisoning? At our last BBQ we held, in an experiment, the CO monitor was pulled off the truck and readings were taken; the results being brought up at the company meeting. The readings were well over safe levels (ranging from 300+ppm early on to over 800ppm towards the end of the day) and we would like to find a way to fix this ASAP, and to protect our personnel and staff from as much inhalation as possible.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for any help you may be able to provide.

Janelle Clark

West Hempfield Fire & Rescue

Lancaster County Sta. 7-6

http://www.westhempfieldfire.com