MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up Interesting Approach To A Problem

Your thoughts?

Boy Holds 'I Abused And Sold Drugs' Sign. Teen Holds Sign Outside School

POSTED: 3:04 pm EDT April 20, 2007

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- A Tennessee teenager says he's learned his lesson about drugs.

The 14-year-old boy's father made him stand outside his Knoxville middle school wearing a sign reading, "I abused and sold drugs."

The father told a Knoxville TV station that the nation's "extreme drug problem" calls for "extreme measures" by parents.

He said he found about his son's involvement with marijuana and OxyContin by reading his MySpace page.

The sign-carrying punishment ended when the school's principal came out and asked the father to call it off.

The boy said it was embarrassing, but added that he's learned that "drugs are for losers."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Way to go dad.....nice to see there are some "real" parents out there!!
    Punishment does sometimes fit the crime. To bad the bleeding hearts feel the need to step in.

What do you want to bet the principal has a "Hillary 08" bumper sticker?
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

MembersZone Subscriber

Nice to see a dad who cares about his kid. Holding him responsable for his action. Way to go DAD. Dad should also have him volunteer at a rehab center so he can see what the drugs will do to ya.
    Last edited by plisken; 04-23-2007 at 05:33 PM.
    Be SAFE!!! Go home when your shift is done and enjoy life.
    This is MY OPINION and ONLY MINE.
    Not my Departments/IAFF/WPFF

Forum Member

The day I find out my kids are involved in drugs somehow is the day I make a phone call to a friend of mine in the County Coroner's office, and then a few days later, the kids get to witness an autopsy of an O/D victim.......Then they get to visit the local county lock-up, and see what that's all about......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Why aren't there more parents like this out there?
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Oh no, the precious little darling was embarrassed. Oh the humanity.

I have never been embarassed in my life have you? I have never had to admit a mistake in my life have you?

Oh how will this precious child ever be able to move on with his life?
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

After Dad puts him through 10 years of therapy.......
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post

I have never been embarassed in my life have you? I have never had to admit a mistake in my life have you?

Probably not nearly as well as if he'd been called a "nappy headed ho" while holding the sign. I hear that the Rutgers female basketball team has been forced to undergo intensive psychotherapy. This poor child might need psychotherapy and physical therapy. I mean he did have to stand there with a sign, and not use his World of Warcraft, PS2, or Blackbird electronic devices to hold the sign.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

My guess is the first chance he gets, he'll light up a fattie and relax.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wish there were more parents like this.
    The bleeding hearts car butt out of how the way the father wants to raise his kid. Good job!!!!

Here is the TV story on it:
    http://emuse.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/19482

My "therapy" was belt across my ***. When I couldn't sit down for a day or two, I realized, "gee, maybe I shouldn't do that again." Nothing wrong with punishment.
    Last edited by Dickey; 04-25-2007 at 03:28 AM.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    My guess is the first chance he gets, he'll light up a fattie and relax.
    To which dad will likely beat him to within an inch of his life. Then rinse and repeat.

Time for the boy to realize that drugs bring no benefit to his life.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

To which dad will likely beat him to within an inch of his life. Then rinse and repeat.
    That won't work, either.

MembersZone Subscriber

That won't work, either.

You're right. He will go on smoking dope which may lead to harder drugs. He will be doomed to a life of mediocrity. Perhaps some jail time. He might graduate from High school. He will not attend college. He will be left in the dust by those who are willing to heed good loving advice. Which is probably to work hard, don't do drugs and you will achieve much. He will father 10 kids with 4 different women all because he knows better than his loving father. He won't be able to support himself or his 10 kids. He will try to lay off the drugs long enough to **** clean for a civil service opportunity but will fail. He will be stuck on welfare living of the sweat of those who chose not do drugs.

Very few happy endings for those who choose to do drugs...
    Last edited by RoughRider; 04-25-2007 at 12:35 PM.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Interesting approach.

I think the main lesson the kid will learn will be not to post up stupid things on his MySpace page.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by OlieCan View Post
    Interesting approach.

I think the main lesson the kid will learn will be not to post up stupid things on his MySpace page.
    Ya, that thought crossed my mind (what there is of one) earlier on.

Forum Member

You're right. He will go on smoking dope which may lead to harder drugs. He will be doomed to a life of mediocrity. Perhaps some jail time. He might graduate from High school. He will not attend college. He will be left in the dust by those who are willing to heed good loving advice. Which is probably to work hard, don't do drugs and you will achieve much. He will father 10 kids with 4 different women all because he knows better than his loving father. He won't be able to support himself or his 10 kids. He will try to lay off the drugs long enough to **** clean for a civil service opportunity but will fail. He will be stuck on welfare living of the sweat of those who chose not do drugs.
    Or he'll more likely be like millions of other pot smokers who go on to live perfectly productive lives. I mean, hell...look at Rush Limbaugh. He's a huge pillhead doper and he's filthy rich and a highly respected leader of the conservative movement.

Forum Member

Or he'll more likely be like millions of other pot smokers who go on to live perfectly productive lives. I mean, hell...look at Rush Limbaugh. He's a huge pillhead doper and he's filthy rich and a highly respected leader of the conservative movement.
    Time for these dopeheads and drug addicts to put their big boy pants on and grow up.

Forum Member

Five years from now,NBC will open another package and realize they have proof of the latest school shooter and this incident will be the reason listed as why he did it.
    The kid better just drive on with this filed under"Lessons Learned". If he has a problem with being punished,he should slug it out in the front yard with his Dad the night before he leaves for Basic Training like I did.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post

Thread Information