Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Need to know if I can even be a firefighter, pt 2

Ok I hear what everybody is saying but I've heard from a lot of firefighters around here that it is still possible to be a firefighter if I stop everything I was doing and get my **** together. I hear what everybody is saying and I really appreciate the replies but letís say this... I am 18 right now, turned 18 in March and yes, I've smoked marijuana up until this month. My numerous misdemeanors are things like criminal damaging, trespassing, possession of drug paraphernalia, etc. My two 5th degree felonies are receiving stolen property and counterfeiting. This was all incurred as a juvenile in the state of Ohio. I am also on juvenile probation still even though I just became an adult. I just need to know if I should just drop out of my college and say screw it or suck it up, make the changes I know I've been needing to make for a long time, and be what I've always wanted to be, a FF. I am planning on getting my juvenile record expunged or sealed, whatever the judge will go for after I graduate my fire school (2 years) and get my degree and everything. The fire school Iím going to gives me my FF 1 and 2 and my paramedic plus other numerous certificates and stuff so I know that will help in the hiring process. Letís assume I never ever commit another crime or do another drug or do anything bad ever again what are my chances given what Iíve already done????? To answer one personís question the charges were all spread out over a 3-4 year period. I am so scaredÖ PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! I just read all these replies here at school and now I'm really nervous and scared so any reply would be awesome thanks.

Forum Member

why 2 threads?
    Last edited by jtizzy; 04-24-2007 at 11:18 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

Can fire departments even access my juvenile record?

Default Keep trying

I know I've said slim and none are your chances and I've sent you an e-mail stating your chances....but like I told you before...keep trying and someone may hire you. There are alot of candidates who are out there who have clean records and I think they would be hired over you. Who know's . Just keep your nose clean..get your degrees and give it a try.

Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Ummm....Sorry, but I would forget the Firefighter route and do two other things-

1. Work on your english and writing skills.
    2. Just focus on being a better citizen in general.

Drugs, two 5th degree felonies are receiving stolen property and counterfeiting...Are you kidding me? Is this some sort of joke?

There are a lot of "I wanna a..." and "I am gonna" in your posting. I suggest getting stable, clear, sober and a normal life just to stay alive first.

Sorry to seem to mean, but get the basics wired first. You already had your shot at a FF position and blew it.

Lastly, I question if this is even a real posting or a troll.

-Bou

MembersZone Subscriber

Anything is possible. Department near me hired former deputy who killed two people while drinking and driving and left the scene after he struck them...

Quote Originally Posted by rdub244 View Post
    Anything is possible. Department near me hired former deputy who killed two people while drinking and driving and left the scene after he struck them...

Ummm....yeah. Sounds like a "I heard it from..." story.

First- Most people's past are hidden unless you did the research into that person's background. Did you see the aucual BG packet or conduct an interview? I saw this because people spead rumors daily about other applicant's BG and rarely have the facts.

Second- We talking fire service here, not LE. There is a big difference in the demand for qualified applicants.

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

"I just need to know if I should just drop out of my college and say screw it or suck it up, make the changes I know I've been needing to make for a long time, and be what I've always wanted to be, a FF."

JohnnyB, either way you should make the changes buddy, whether you become a firefighter, or an engineer. Your sheet is pretty extensive and most of the stuff on there isn't everyday juvy stuff. If this school excepted you and is willing to train you that puts you in a position to stay out of trouble for 2 years. If the program really does certify you as a paramedic then by all means do it. If you make it thru paramedic (VERY TOUGH) you can come out 20 or 21 as a paramedic, get a job with a private company and wait til someone hires you. If you get out of school and work 2 years as a paramedic that puts you 4 years removed from the old johnnyb, if you get shot down your first try(like we all do), and you keep coming back, youll be distancing yourself from the old you while proving youre a good medic, that you can stay out of trouble, and that you wont quit. A department may just be willing to pick you up. And if the private ambos in your area do transport, then that is a GREAT way to make an impression.

Get away from your crew now, quit the herb, lay off the sauce, focus 100% on school and dont quit. Thats all you can do so dont try and make it anything more or anything less, and if all else fails you have a great career as a PM.

Default Backgrounds

Yes ..we as Background Investigators have access to your minor records. Trust me when I say...with two felonies on your record I would not let you get past my step. Others might but they are few and far between.

Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Like I said in the other thread johnny, you might want to check if you can even get into the fire academy with those convictions on your record. Also the State of Ohio requires that you provide all of your past convictions before they will entertain the idea of giving you any certs, Fire or EMS. If I were you I would make a few phone calls before I spent my money on class that won't get me the certifications I needed to become a FF.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb3189 View Post
    For $60, you get it all here.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Haha I wish it was an "I heard it from story". It happened from the last test they had and it was for a firefighter, not LE. No need to jump to conclusions. It happens.
    I'll dig up a link for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Ummm....yeah. Sounds like a "I heard it from..." story.

First- Most people's past are hidden unless you did the research into that person's background. Did you see the aucual BG packet or conduct an interview? I saw this because people spead rumors daily about other applicant's BG and rarely have the facts.

Second- We talking fire service here, not LE. There is a big difference in the demand for qualified applicants.

Default Backgrounds

Just to let you know...When I did backgrounds and oral exams it was for both Fire and Police. If anything the Police orals give you more latitude to ask the hard questions. The backgrounds were the same....through!

Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Ohio lets felons be paramedics? glad Im not from ohio

Forum Member

Lightbulb ummmmm........................ ...............

Wait like.......................... ....10 years, smoke but don't INHALE, trasspass but don't STEAL anything, keep your nose clean and maybe you will have a shot.......... anything's possible

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Ummm....Sorry, but I would forget the Firefighter route and do two other things-

1. Work on your english and writing skills.
    2. Just focus on being a better citizen in general.

Drugs, two 5th degree felonies are receiving stolen property and counterfeiting...Are you kidding me? Is this some sort of joke?

There are a lot of "I wanna a..." and "I am gonna" in your posting. I suggest getting stable, clear, sober and a normal life just to stay alive first.

Sorry to seem to mean, but get the basics wired first. You already had your shot at a FF position and blew it.

Lastly, I question if this is even a real posting or a troll.

-Bou
    Good call on this probably being a troll post, CALFFBOU. Either that or he's fudging facts, because some of the things he wrote sounded made up to me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb3189 View Post
    The answer to that question Jonny is YES... I experienced it first hand, and lost a job offer due to it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I donít even think you and get National Regrestry or a state paramedic license with a felony conviction. You may want to look at that before you waste all the time in school. And you have a very small chance of getting a job with a record the fire service of to day is a lot tougher to get in. There are more people who want to be firefighters than jobs that are available.

MembersZone Subscriber

nameless- No you can't get a EMS certification from the state of Ohio if you have any convictions that involve drugs. Go to the website ems.ohio.gov and it lists all of the certs that they have revoked in their disciplinary meetings.
    Last edited by Slippery; 04-26-2007 at 08:21 AM.

Default Ditto

Like I've said in the first thread...Slim and none...and Slims' left the building.

Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information