Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default How much is too much-->Emergency Lights on POV

The Horse is Dead.
    Last edited by FirehouseDog6; 04-25-2007 at 07:50 AM.

Do a search before posting next time, because people will get upset when they see the same topic 5000 times.

For someone who doesn't like a lot of attention, you sure have a **** load of lights in your car.

I have 1 blue strobe that I keep on my floor unless there is a call I need to go on, then I'll throw it on my dash maybe, because, it really doesn't do much at all anyway. Im sure I'll eventually have my Depts. sticker on my back window, but I don't as of now.

Why do you need so many lights on your car? You have lights in 4 different parts of your car? Damn, for what? are you an undercover cop?
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

I have a red flasher of some type sitting on the floor of my car as I have yet to have a need for using it.

I have one of my fire company license plates on my dashboard in case the local cop wonders why I am not always parked entirely legal.

How I feel about the lights you use in your car for your department does not mean anything. Do what your department allows.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

1 light is too much. It is a personal vehicle. If you really needed to get somewhere you would be able to have a siren and full lighting package and be able to speed and pass cars.

Forum Member

First off, in response to too many lights, if you are going to use lights, and your in a state that recognizes your vehicle as an emergency vehicle when running code 3, do it right...Im not saying 2 48" 3 level strobe light bars, strobes all around your vehicle, 3 sirens...blah blah blah...I am saying use enough lights that you are visable 360 degrees, use lights bright enough to be viewed, use a siren loud enough to be heard, using partial lights is, IMHO, more dangerous than using a vehcile covered in lights. If you are using partial lights some people will see you and others will not, and then you run into a chance where you are proceeding through an intersection where you have the red, everyon stops for you, and you ensure the intersection is clear, then proceed through it...all of a sudden someone pulls out because they dont see your lights, and/or hear your siren. And yes, we always run this chance, which is why as a driver of an emergency vehicle you must ALWAYS be alert for ALL other drivers, but dont go halfway for whatever reason you want to use. Either use ZERO lights and proceed following ALL traffic laws, or use enough lights to be seen 360 degrees, and heard and be cautious of all other drivers. And a second point, and I know I will catch flak on this, if your lights are on, your siren should be on (obviously not in states that dont allow sirens).

NONE! Never had em, Don't want them and they're not needed. Pretty simple in my mind. I get a kick out of all these clowns who have their vehicles all lit up.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

35monroeffemt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Last edited by 35monroeffemt; 04-25-2007 at 02:08 AM.

35monroeffemt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Not this again

http://www.e-pix.org/img365.htm

So I guess all of my department including myself are a bunch of clowns considering that we run 1300 calls a year and have a maximum response time of 3 minutes because if we are closer to the call then the station we get into our clown cars, turn on our circus lights, and just go direct. The community really appreciates how quick we are believe it or not and the lights really DO make a difference with the congested traffic.
    Last edited by 35monroeffemt; 04-25-2007 at 02:07 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    NONE! Never had em, Don't want them and they're not needed. Pretty simple in my mind. I get a kick out of all these clowns who have their vehicles all lit up.
    They may not be needed where you live, within your community, your proimity to the station, what have you. But just because that is the case, dont make the assumption they are not needed at all. Or that the people that are being safe and having FULL 360 degree visability are "clowns"

For The Love Of God! Stop The Insanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 06-06-2009 at 08:26 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

i really should not even post on this thread, but it is the end of a long and bleary night shift, and I am feeling a little punchy.....
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

The Horse is Dead.

Forum Member

Nice montage, Hoser, that was pretty cool.

Did you do the "Way to F'n Go" one yourself, or snag it? Pretty nice, charged hosebed n all....

1141 <---who has not charged a hosebed...yet.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

bump bump..

Quote Originally Posted by Ha11igan View Post
    1 light is too much. It is a personal vehicle. If you really needed to get somewhere you would be able to have a siren and full lighting package and be able to speed and pass cars.

Quote Originally Posted by 35monroeffemt View Post
    http://www.e-pix.org/img365.htm

So I guess all of my department including myself are a bunch of clowns considering that we run 1300 calls a year and have a maximum response time of 3 minutes because if we are closer to the call then the station we get into our clown cars, turn on our circus lights, and just go direct. The community really appreciates how quick we are believe it or not and the lights really DO make a difference with the congested traffic.
    No you and your dept are not all clowns. You probably all don't have your vehicles lit up to the bones, which are the people I refer to as clowns. I've seen people who have vehicles lit up more than unmarked police cars, and they have a s**tload of lights on them. Theres a good amount and then there is a stupid amount. Once again I made a post without thinking. I gotta control that better.

Dawg for the record I live the furthest away from my hall and I have no problems getting there in a prompt fashion without having lights in my vehicle even in traffic. If traffic is that congested the only way your really gonna get around them is pulling into the opposite lane of traffic or going up the sidewalk. People in traffic are bad enough when it comes to the BRT why would they be any different for a POV.

I do agree with Halligan though.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

My vehicle is lit up. I use the minimum to be fully visable. A 18 inch mini light bar, strobes in my back up lights, strobes in my fog lights, and a dash light...with siren. I am visable 360 degrees and can be heard. And I still stop all all intersections, and ensure everyone else is stopped (yess even the green lights).

I think we should be more concerned as to who is using too little. If you are going to respond lights and siren and be an emergency vehicle, follow the law, be visable 360 degrees and be seen and heard at least 500 ft away. Or dont use anything.

Quote Originally Posted by FireDawgEMT22 View Post
    My vehicle is lit up. I use the minimum to be fully visable. A 18 inch mini light bar, strobes in my back up lights, strobes in my fog lights, and a dash light...with siren. I am visable 360 degrees and can be heard. And I still stop all all intersections, and ensure everyone else is stopped (yess even the green lights).
    See now even what you have is little in comparison to what I'm talking about. I like the sounds of your setup and it sounds ok

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    Did you do the "Way to F'n Go" one yourself, or snag it? Pretty nice, charged hosebed n all....
    The hosebed pic is from Chief Billy Goldfeder's www.firefighterclosecalls.com web site gallery (note to copyright constables - note in the small print credit for the photo's source!), I added the text, which seemed to fit.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

So i guess we are in agreement, just didnt know it...this would be called a psuedo conflict. ok enough with the communication classes. lol anyhow, I do agree that there are some people who take it to the extremes and put a light on every exposed inch of the vehicle. IMHO, let them do it. It is their money, and as long as they are driving safely with all those lights, hey its ok... The important thing is they are at the call (instead of in bed) and they are there safely.

Thread Information