Forum Member

Default Paging BC79er....AQuestion4U

BC79er...hoping you could clarify a question on whether or not you can add "spares" into your grant request. Here's the deal...I have a customer looking to outfit all his FF's (40) with bail-out systems (kit & harness) and he wanted to add a few extra systems for training purposes & as spares for replacement of damaged units or issuance to new members. The questions coming up are as follows:

1) Will FEMA allow for extra systems for training use and/or spares? If so, is
    there a limit on how many? (Seem to remember reading on here that
    someone tried for a few extra sets of PPE & were told they could only get
    for whose they were currently active).

2) They are looking to put this in under the PPE category...they plan to
    include the cost for hands-on trainig as well. Is this the right category
    considering it's being issued to each FF as part of their PPE?

3) Of course, the famous question...what if any key words are there to use
    to drive home the importance of ths equipment? Seems to me that the
    FF's safety should be enough but who knows...

Thanks for the input...if need be, PM me for more details. Thanks for letting me pick your brain...Stay Safe...

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm certainly not BC or KTB, but....

Paraphrasing the Program Guidance--The lowest priority will be for items that will be used as spares or surplus. So, you can ask but it's likely to either be reduced or (worse) lower the score below award level.

As for training--including that cost is probably a good thing, but pay attention to the PG on the wording for that also.

Hope this helps.
    earl (onebugle would have cut & pasted the proper sections of the PG, but i'm not in that league either!!)

FH Mag/.com Contributor

No spares on purpose, but excess funds can be spent on anything up to the $4999. That's the only way to get extras.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ditto on BCs and Greenacres2 response ot that.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Thanks for your input gentlemen...I was under the impression that "spares" were not allowed...what about a few for designated training purposes? Would this be allowable or would it reduce their score possibly?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Possible reduction on score from Peer thinking that's excessive since the PG states the rules. They're getting less tolerant of that. Same reason they're starting to reduce scores on people asking for packs for chief's cars, portables for same, etc, etc. Not reading and follow guidelines has cost many an app its dough.

Anything desired for training is considered a spare when it's supposed to be response equipment.

Forum Member

Understood...I'll advise the chief I'm working with on this...thanks again for the input...

Forum Member

Default How about this problem

Since applied for grant lost a couple FF to retirement and had a couple newbies that did not pan out. Approved for 20 sets of head to toe turnout gear (for every member at the time of app). So what can we do now that we have a pile of $?

1.) Buy 4 "extra" sets of gear that may or may not fit the next new guy thru the door.

2.) Drag out the project thinking will have a couple more recruits within the next 6-12m that will need gear. IE buy to fit them. and hope they will stay.

3.) Use the $ for other PPE items that we otherwise might not have bought for the 16 guys we are equipping.

4.) Use $ for fire prevention project stuff.

We also got $ for SCBA and for some LDH (new capability)

The $5000 to continue the project come into play

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireinfo10 View Post
    Since applied for grant lost a couple FF to retirement and had a couple newbies that did not pan out. Approved for 20 sets of head to toe turnout gear (for every member at the time of app). So what can we do now that we have a pile of $?

1.) Buy 4 "extra" sets of gear that may or may not fit the next new guy thru the door.

2.) Drag out the project thinking will have a couple more recruits within the next 6-12m that will need gear. IE buy to fit them. and hope they will stay.

3.) Use the $ for other PPE items that we otherwise might not have bought for the 16 guys we are equipping.

4.) Use $ for fire prevention project stuff.

We also got $ for SCBA and for some LDH (new capability)

The $5000 to continue the project come into play
    Any choice is a viable option but #3 & 4 probabaly will require an amendment. I would look at #2 as your best option. Use the new gear as a "recruiting tool". Depending upon when your award date was you have till at least then to do something.You cold also go ahead and get the gear, keep it in "new condition" ( unissued) and probabaly be able to exchange it fo rthe right size if needed, when and if you geta garduate through training and probation period. I would check with your supplier first but, I don't think that woudldbe a problem, as long as you were wililng to absorb the shipping exchange costs.
    Last edited by ktb9780; 05-30-2007 at 03:25 PM.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

We decided to go option #2. Our salesman has been VERY slow updating prices for turnout pants/coats

So this morning the chief gets (another) call on "get your grant closed out". Your (my FY07) grant app made it thru but can't award anything until you closeout the open grant. So now he's moving.

Not clear what exact info was conveyed, but is Peer review complete? or does this mean we made it thru the computer scoring? Or maybe just a new motivational technique?

Submitted a tanker pumper grant app (I'd guess no chance but can always hope) and a equipment grant app.
    Last edited by neiowa; 07-11-2007 at 01:33 PM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Yes, good sign. Peer Review was done weeks ago, we're moving on the 1199As for the 2007 awards, have been since last week. Looks like you get to climb back into the winner's circle soon Roger.

Thread Information