Thread: Residents #

Forum Member

Default Residents #

OK, here is a question that comes up every year. When talking about population, it is just the population in your community, or the population in the area that you serve on a first due response? I have heard both answers...need some info.

MembersZone Subscriber

What I do for our population.... our village is 800~ some people. Then we also serve a good portion of 2 townships, so I include #s for those as well. This is all our 1st due response area.

Beth

Forum Member

Area of your district or the area that you are primarily responsible for. If you have auto aid to an area that does not count as part of your population.

Our district has a population of 4,000 but the Village which is located in our town is only 2,000. We use the 4,000 figure because that's how many we protect.

MembersZone Subscriber

What they said...our first due area is 3,125. We are Automatic Aid to another dept with 4,000 population and Mutual Aid to another 10,000 in 4 jurisdictions. Population reported on the app is 3,125 with the M/A population discussed in the narrative. Population for most departments should be as reported in the 2000 census, with documented growth (if any) reported in the narrative.

earl

Forum Member

With all of the above taken into consideration, I list my population as the 8??? that th US census gives me, and hope to make it to peer review with the 40000 population that we handle in our district each day, otherwise it is just a lost number, but legally, all we can count is what the US Census gives us credit for as much as I would like to put that big number up front. That would give me a heck of a cost benefit.

Forum Member

Default get past the computer

I wish I knew how the computer checks things, but what if the computer has a way of cross checking your zip code you use versus the population you put in, I would think you have to match the 2000 census or your application gets kicked. Throw your big numbers in the narrative, that is where a human being will see it. Hey former peer reviewers out there, do you guys even look long at those stats are do you really focus on narratives?

MembersZone Subscriber

ZIP Code would checks would be off the mark for many first due areas. Our branch of USPS delivers to about 50,000 residents in 5 or 6 fire districts. On the other end of the spectrum, some departments or fire territories likely serve multiple ZIP Codes.

Actual checking of population probably would come in at tech review at the earliest, audit at the latest. In either case, i want to be right.

earl (if i wear a bracelet, i want gold not stainless steel!!)

MembersZone Subscriber

Application Definition:

Response/Jurisdiction Area

Primary/First Due Response Area is a geographical area proximate to a fire or rescue facility and normally served by the personnel and apparatus from that facility in the event of a fire or other emergency and does not include daily or seasonal population surges.

Population shall be based upon the 2000 official census and shall include only those individuals who permanently reside within the jurisdiction served.
    (I didn't want Earl to feel left out)

The population reported has to be based on the 2000 census. The feds can easily verify that figure during a review. The narrative would be the place to explain the difference in the census vs. actual popuation served.
    Last edited by onebugle; 04-25-2007 at 09:56 PM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

As long as you have a reason why your numbers don't match the census you're fine. tax rolls, # of homes added, etc, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    Application Definition:

The population reported has to be based on the 2000 census. The feds can easily verify that figure during a review. The narrative would be the place to explain the difference in the census vs. actual popuation served.
    Not actually. Census tracts do not correspond to Fire District boundaries. In IOWA pop by rural township is available but those borders also do not correspond to FD.

So I've added in city limits pop to % of the rural township pop (same % as our territory in mi2).

If you're automatic mutual aid or mutual aid for a large area (2 county) do you include those pop #? Or just discuss in narrative?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Just narrative.

Thread Information