Forum Member

Default Breaking News in Upstate NY- NYSP Shooting

ABC 7 (NYC) just showed the fiery standoff between Travis Trim and NYSP SWAT troopers. Trim was believed to be barricaded in a rural weekend home in the Catskills. NYSP approached, house caught fire, is now burning to the ground. FF's made an initial approach, but were driven back by gunfire. VERY riveting video footage, stay tuned to NYC/ Albany stations for further.

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

More info can be found through these links:

http://www.news10now.com/content/top...sp?ArID=103207

http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/stor...b-0ebf238d9e04

RIP Trooper Brinkerhoff. Wishing a speedy recovery to Trooper Mattson. My prayers and condolences go out to the troopers family and the NYSP.
    Last edited by NYSmokey; 04-25-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Banned

It's really crazy. The entire house is up in smoke. What posses a 23 year old to do something like this. Then again, if you have ever been to the area you know it isn't far from deliverance.

This space for rent

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    It's really crazy. The entire house is up in smoke. What posses a 23 year old to do something like this. Then again, if you have ever been to the area you know it isn't far from deliverance.
    Whatever happened to just posting your condolences and best wishes for the injured.

Rest in peace

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey View Post
    Whatever happened to just posting your condolences and best wishes for the injured.
    Those go without saying. I sometimes don't mention the merely obvious. Obviously my condolences go out to the trooper and his family as well as those injured. I have several friends and a couple of family members who are troopers, so this always hits close to home.

I'm just dumbfounded and need to ask why? Why does something so senseless have to happen? What is wrong with people?

Forum Member

I truly believe, no more pain, no more sorow for this "FINEST". God bless you and keep your family in our prayers.

Forum Member

Very interesting video footage, I was watching it live on ABC news when the crew on the attack line moved in and had to dive for cover as he opened fire on them.

RIP To the fallen Trooper and a quick recovery for the injured one
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

The initial post did not indicate that anyone was killed or injured. Is that not the case?
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

This space for rent

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    The initial post did not indicate that anyone was killed or injured. Is that not the case?
    1 Trooper is dead and 2 others were injured by this gunman (over a 2 day period). I was referring to Hot Trotter's Deliverance remark. It might have been my frustration about all of the troopers shot this year coming out. It has been a terrible 12 months for the New York State Police.

Actually, it's been a rough year in general for law enforcement. RIP to all the fallen.
    Last edited by NYSmokey; 04-25-2007 at 09:50 PM.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

The SOB might be DEAD Hopefully he is

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070426/...ooper_shooting
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

Banned

1 Trooper is dead and 2 others were injured by this gunman (over a 2 day period). I was referring to Hot Trotter's Deliverance remark. It might have been my frustration about all of the troopers shot this year coming out. It has been a terrible 12 months for the New York State Police.

Actually, it's been a rough year in general for law enforcement. RIP to all the fallen.
    I beleive there are 5 dead troopers this year and I know a city of Utica officer got it as well. Some of these have been real close to home. It really sucks and one has to ask why.

My understanding is that they have found some bones, burned beyond recognition. I'm sure he saved us all a lot of aggrevation and tax dollars as well. Anyone notice how fast that building went up. Amazing to know that there were firefighters on scene and the fire got that big.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb Well...........

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    I beleive there are 5 dead troopers this year and I know a city of Utica officer got it as well. Some of these have been real close to home. It really sucks and one has to ask why.

Anyone notice how fast that building went up. Amazing to know that there were firefighters on scene and the fire got that big.

Having been there a couple of times over the years, I can say that it is extremely difficult to operate a hose line while dodging gunfire..........

If you wish, go back a couple of months here in FH News, look for an incident in Frederick, Md. where a gunman holed up in a liquor store, held everyone off for a couple of hours, then the entire shopping center burned around him. Frederick county has some very good people in a 28 station combination system with great apparatus and good staffing, but the couldn't do much with the guy shooting at them.
    Last edited by hwoods; 04-26-2007 at 10:30 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Dave was a friend of mine from college at SUNY Albany. I am out of the Country and will be unable to attend his funeral. He will be sorely missed by all of us!

Rest in peace Brother!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Dave was a friend of mine from college at SUNY Albany. I am out of the Country and will be unable to attend his funeral. He will be sorely missed by all of us!

Rest in peace Brother!
    Trooper Brinkerhoff was a UAlbany alum?

Forum Member

I am sorry for the loss of your friend, Tpr. Brinkerhoff. His family, friends, and all of the NYSP are in our prayers during this brutal time. As earlier posted, it has been a very tough two years for the NYSP.

Rest in Peace, Gray Rider.

Forum Member
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

I hate to say it, but GOOD.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Having been there a couple of times over the years, I can say that it is extremely difficult to operate a hose line while dodging gunfire..........

If you wish, go back a couple of months here in FH News, look for an incident in Frederick, Md. where a gunman holed up in a liquor store, held everyone off for a couple of hours, then the entire shopping center burned around him. Frederick county has some very good people in a 28 station combination system with great apparatus and good staffing, but the couldn't do much with the guy shooting at them.
    I wasn't trying to imply that they didn't do enough or they should have done more. Sorry if that is the way some have taken it. It was more about the amazement of how fast the thing went up. I'm thinking we are looking at fully involved - save the cellar - if they weren't already there. Just gives one an appreciation for how fast a home can get fully involved. Again, sorry if I offended anyone

Breaking news:

Trooper killed by friendly fire

Just heard it on the radio-I don't see it online yet

This space for rent

Donations to the Isabella Grace Brinkerhoff trust:
    Can be made at any Trustco branch -or-
    Mail a check to:
    Trooper Foundation
    3 Airport Park Blvd.
    Latham, NY 12110.

**Checks should be made payable to the Isabella Grace Brinkerhoff Trust.

Questions should be directed to the Trooper Foundation at 785-1002 or check out the group's Web site at www.nystrooperfoundation.org
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

This space for rent

Trooper likely killed by 'friendly fire' State police announce in afternoon news conference
    Eyewitness News Team
    (Margaretville, NY - WABC, April 27, 2007) - Friendly fire killed a New York State trooper as he searched a farmhouse Wednesday for a suspect in the shooting of another trooper the day before, officials said Friday.

Trooper David C. Brinkerhoff, a member of the force's elite mobile response team, was shot Wednesday as he and another trooper went into a Catskill-area farmhouse where the suspect had holed up.
    "The fatal wound was made by a .223 (caliber) tactical round that was believed to have been fired by an MRT member," said acting State Police Superintendent Preston Felton.

The Margaretville farmhouse was destroyed hours later in a still-unexplained fire that erupted as troopers closed in on the suspect, 23-year-old Travis Trim. His badly burned body was found inside with a rifle; autopsy results have not been released.

Shot along with Brinkerhoff was Trooper Richard Mattson, who was wounded in the left arm and survived.

Felton said Trim fired the round that hit Mattson, and shot Brinkerhoff in the chest with a small-caliber round that the trooper's body armor stopped. Brinkerhoff, who was wearing a Kevlar helmet, was then shot in the back of the head, Felton said.

"In a firefight such as this, and our members are highly trained, what it appears happened here is that Trooper Brinkerhoff was struck in the chest and was knocked back," Felton said. "Other members came to his aid and started to return fire at the shooter. At some point Trooper Brinkerhoff ended up getting hit by a round."

Police initially said Trim had killed Brinkerhoff. "This was a very volatile situation," Felton said.

The new details about the deadly encounter were based on "an autopsy and preliminary forensic review," Felton said, adding that the full analysis of the information is not yet complete.

Trim had been on the run since Tuesday, when he shot a trooper after he was stopped driving a stolen vehicle. That trooper's body armor prevented him from being seriously hurt, police said.

Gov. Spitzer released the following statement:

The situation in Margaretville on Wednesday was among the most difficult imaginable for law enforcement. Senior field commanders and a highly-trained MRT team responded and their bravery should be apparent to all.

However, a tragedy occurred and State Police are now investigating the exact circumstances of Trooper Brinkerhoff's death. We are committed to a thorough investigation and to full disclosure of the findings as soon as possible.

In the meantime, nothing should detract from Trooper Brinkerhoff's honor and dedication to duty, or that of his fellow MRT team members. When asked to confront a heavily-armed man intent on causing harm to others, they acted decisively to protect the rest of the community. We owe this fallen trooper and his colleagues a full appraisal of the facts as well as our continuing respect and gratitude.

(Copyright 2007 WABC-TV)
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

XNA1590
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation Firery standoff

I grew up not far from there in Big Indian just over the county line and i went to school in Margeratville and your comment on Deliverance is BULL SH*t..... Its so peacefull in the CATSKILL MTNS I can't believe that happened in my home town... MY HEART GOES OUT TO ALL THOSE THAT WERE ON SCENE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope that The Margaretviile and Arkville Fire fighters that were on scene are all ok mentally as well as physically.

Thread Information